Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hi there, i'm new to 40k... so far i'ver played one game and would like some things cleared up from the experts if i may.....
1) i have the captain figure from the blach reach set and having played 1 game i feel his gear is a bit... meh, i dont really want to go spend more money on a figure i already have.. i still have lots more to buy yet so ...
If i gear him with artificer armour and a relic weapon is this straying too far from the models power sword? would this be considered cheese?
2) the tactical marine set.. does this sprue come with all the heavy / special weapon options? or would i be stuck with flamer / ML like the black reach models?
3) in plain english what rolls / rules does a 50% obscured tank do? i read the rule book and am frankly none the wiser.
4) i've read some things about an assault squad not being worth taking? but i want to take something to catch those pesky Tau and slap them about a bit (and a squad to take a chaplain with.. what is a good squad for this?
Many thanks in advance all advice is greatly appreciated
1.Im no good with HQs ill let a someone else answer that
2.It comes with more options than black reach but you get a flamer,melta and missile launcher. If you want the other heavy weapons im afraid you would have to buy a devastator squad. But personaly id only ever give a tactical squad missile launcher and either melta/flamer.
3.Im not sure about this either I think it may be classed as hull down and all hits are glancing could be wrong though.
4.Assault squads are good there just better in squads of 10 not 5 and yes there awesome for tau, and the chaplin with jump pack suits them perfect. Plus dont let these forums decide your army just because some people dont like it doesnt mean you shouldnt take it. I use 6 dreads that would probably get annhilated off a competitve list but 40ks more about fun if you ask me. Id rather field a list I like playing and lose than field a list I dont like and win.
Just love 6 massive war machines smashing everything to pieces thanks to those crazy japs and there addiction to mecha ^___^
2) Not sure about what is included in the tac marine set. I'm SWs so I've never bought a tac marine set.
3) You need to be careful about asking specific rules questions on here. We are not allowed to specifically state the rules(IP issues). But generally, the obscured save is a cover save for a vehicle. (the downgrade to a "glancing hit like Mechman speculated is from the 4th edition rules. It is different now)
4) Assault squad will be good. They are mobile and can help you track down other mobile squads. Just be sure to keep them protected. Don't leave them out in the open if you know a firewarrior squad will rapid fire you to death next turn.
Like Mechman stated, take opinions about units on here with a grain of salt. Everyone has a different experience with units. They all have their pros/cons. There are a few units in the games that have more cons than pros, but it also depends on how they are used. As for assault squads, I have seen players throw them out hanging in the wind. Like most things, they need to be supported. I've rushed my rhino full of marines out, popped my troops out, and rapid fired the assault squad to death. My opponent probably didnt think about that happening, and so in the future he may think that they die pretty easy, and consequently think they are bad. You can see the flawed logic in that?
Okay, now I'm rambling. I hope I wasnt too repetitive. Heh.
2) Mechman covered this answer fairly well, although he forgot the plasmagun so the tactical squad set comes with all the options for spoecial weapon, although like before stated is limited top the missile launcher for heavy weapons.
3) If obscurred 50% the veichle receives a cover save of a 4+ o can ignore any glancing or penetrating hits on a roll of a 4+
4) As for this question i think mechman hit it right on
Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!
thank you all for your answers, for a fledgling player it helps to see the opinions of more experienced players.
I think i'll go relic / artificer.. seems like a really nice setup (and it will mean i havent wasted 8 hours painting the model
you can disembark a rihno and rapid fire? i thought u couldnt move??
i like assault marines they seem .... cool, just wanted to check it wasnt generally accepted Assaulties were poop in a non BA list before i spent my money
and maybe next time my razorback might last to the point where i actually get to move / fire it with a 4+ cover save
"Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
-This space for rent-
Salamander project log