Deploying Variants - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Deploying Variants

So, with so many great tank variants returning to us in 5th Ed. I was wondering if anyone had run into this issue and though perhaps the same thing.

I don't need nor want to field more than 3 or so of most tank variants in my lists. I rarely play 2,000+ points in games. So I don't necessarily want to shill out $40+ for a lot of tanks just to get variants that I want to use.

So my idea is just to get the bare number of chassis mounts that I'll need and then get a bunch of turret variants. My problem is that I've not actually done much of Forge World buying previously and I'm unsure if I can even construct a full turret from the standard "conversion" kits. If so that solves the question for the Russ variants. Also, where do I even get Melta and Chem Cannon turrets for the Devil Dog and Banewolf? Are those part of a newer Hellhound box or kits on Forge World, or stuff they haven't put out yet?

Anyway, just looking to get at least close to WYSIWYG rather than proxying variants, but I don't want to buy tons of full tanks when I doubt I'll use *that* many in single games. Any advice appreciated.

For the Emperor!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

The new hellhound et coming out next month will have the parts to make any of our three fast tanks.

I'm not sure about the FW turrets but if you're in doubt you could always get a different turret pattern such as theuir ryza turrets. What i'd recomend however would be to just magnetize them. When I get the new russ set in a few weeks i'm going to magnetize all 3 turret options so that I can use itr as either a demlisher, executioner, or punisher.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought an old exterminator kit and then bought a standard leman russ turrent and vanquisher turrent from forge world. I swap out the turrnents as needed.

When you buy just the turrent it comes as a complete resin turrnet, just clean up and paint, nothint else needed.

My brother uses one of the variant turrents as a stand in for the nova cannon version (if I have my versions right).

This is a great way to get multiple uses out of one russ chasis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin vanrooyen View Post
    The new hellhound et coming out next month will have the parts to make any of our three fast tanks.

I'm not sure about the FW turrets but if you're in doubt you could always get a different turret pattern such as theuir ryza turrets. What i'd recomend however would be to just magnetize them. When I get the new russ set in a few weeks i'm going to magnetize all 3 turret options so that I can use itr as either a demlisher, executioner, or punisher.

The Emperor Protects
    I would magnetize, if the turrets hadn't been put together when I was significantly younger and cared less about it

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mord
    I bought an old exterminator kit and then bought a standard leman russ turrent and vanquisher turrent from forge world. I swap out the turrnents as needed.

When you buy just the turrent it comes as a complete resin turrnet, just clean up and paint, nothint else needed.

My brother uses one of the variant turrents as a stand in for the nova cannon version (if I have my versions right).

This is a great way to get multiple uses out of one russ chasis.
    Awesome, that's what I was hoping for! I've got 3x LR chassis w/ 2x Battle Cannon and 1x Demolisher turret currently. I really want to get a Punisher and Vanquisher turret at this point. The real problem then just comes with finding a way to make use of my old Hellhound as the other two variants without buying a whole new tank (or making the turrets from scratch, as I'm not that handy ).

I suppose if the new Hellhound flamer turret is cool enough I might just buy the new tank and then I'll have one that I can use as a Hellhound and the other that can turn into all 3 with magnetized turret armaments. Or perhaps one of the bitz-selling sites will allow me to just grab the turret and weapons without paying for the full chassis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

You'll probably be able to find the variant bits up for sale on ebay as soon as the kits come out as well. I am going to try to get the new Hellhound turret bits once those become available. That will be much cheaper than FW most likely.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

I like to magnetize the crap out of everything. I have one chassis so far and using the standard turret and a Forgeworld demolisher turret (it looks damn sexy, too). Since I usually play variants of the Russ, the box coming out next month is absolutely golden for me.

Only thing I really am miffed about is not having an Eradicator turret. However you can convert/magnetize one fairly easily using the hellhammer turret from the baneblade kit.

+ Reply to Thread