Need Help VS Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help VS Tau

Im a newer player and one of the main ppl i play against uses Tau and is pretty experienced. On average we play about 1500 points. I dont know all the details but he usually has this kind of army:

Commander in suit w/ 3 suits

2 other 3 suit squads (they have plasma and shield drones)

Lots of sheild drones it seems

2-3 firewarrior squads with devilfish

2 hammerheads

sniperdrones

I currently do not have a WW or Predator, so I am a bit limited in heavy guns. Recently I have been feilding this army:

Chappy w/ Jump, 10 assault squad with meltabombs and flamer

2 tactical squads w/ 2 rhinos. Usually ML/Flamer combo

4 reg termies, 1 with assault cannon

2 attack bikes with MM

10 devastators (3 ML/1 LC)

1 Dread with Autocannon/ DCCW/HB

Only the Dev's and bikes really seem to earn their points. I just cant seem to get to him. He always finds a way to hold back at the table edge preventing deep striking effectively and chewing meup on my way to him.

I think if I combat squad my tacticals and devos, and through the tac combat squads in razorbacks and keep the ML's in the back, it woudl at least increase my firepower and give him more targets to shoot at.

I was successful with running a drop pod on him in one game, but he wont play me if I feild too many (3+).

Curious if anyone has any pointers or tactics that they can recommend. Those suits of his really tear me up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

vanguard veterans that can assault on the turn they DP?
    For get your Mr T, John Mayer leaks pure awesomeness with every note he plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get into his face. basic termies are bad IMO, to many points for what they do. I'd get more marines with assualt weapons over those termies. If you can change out the missle launchers for multi-meltas. Devies are to much of a point sink for what they do your better off putting the points any where else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I think normal termis are great, they always surpass themselves in my games

If you drop pod your tactical squads you can flame him early and unleash some firepower

melta bombs are your friends here
    For get your Mr T, John Mayer leaks pure awesomeness with every note he plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Psybilliah View Post
    Commander in suit w/ 3 suits
    2 other 3 suit squads (they have plasma and shield drones)
    Lots of sheild drones it seems
    2-3 firewarrior squads with devilfish
    2 hammerheads
    sniperdrones
    What weapon systems are the suits carrying? If it's Plasma Rifles & Missile Pods then this...

Chappy w/ Jump, 10 assault squad with meltabombs and flamer
    2 tactical squads w/ 2 rhinos. Usually ML/Flamer combo
    4 reg termies, 1 with assault cannon
    2 attack bikes with MM
    10 devastators (3 ML/1 LC)
    1 Dread with Autocannon/ DCCW/HB
    ... is close to the worst possible list you could play. Loads of stuff that'll drop to Plasma/ Missiles and nowhere near enough stuff that can close in and bust up the Suits and Hammerheads.

Here's what I'd suggest;

Termie Epistolary w/ Storm Shield, GoI & Vortex
    Chaplain
    Minimised (4-model & Sgt w/ power weapon) Tac Squad
    Tac Squad x10 w/ ML & Flamer, Sgt w/ Power weapon
    Termies w/ Cyclone Launcher
    Drop Pod Dread
    Land Raider w/ Extra Armour & MM
    Land Raider w/ Extra Armour & MM
    1500pts on the nose (unless I messed up the maths)

If you don't want to resort to AV14 that's fine; the above is just a suggestion. The important thing to remember is that you need to drop his Railheads and Suits quickly whilst sustaining as little damage as possible, whilst simultaneously Shaking/ Stunning the Fish as much as possible AND make the Sniper Team useless. Land Raiders make that a simple task, but other more imaginative methods could also be employed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by carrotman50 View Post
    I think normal termis are great, they always surpass themselves in my games
    Yeah if the enemy is not Tau with that many plasma guns. Every time I play my Tau army I drop basic termie squads fast, TH/SS ones are the only ones that don't just fall over and die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a chaos player but the guy i face the most is a tau player and the armies we field are pretty much the same as what you guys are doing. i hate those frigin battle suits and hammerheads with a passion. rhinos are pretty much worthless as well as heavy weapon squads. my assault squad (raptors) have been worth there weight in gold, termies are not always effective, about 1/2 the games we play there just expensive fodder. So i have found an army that works and thats basic troops and lots of them also if your lucky enough to hold on to a couple of rhinos use tank shock, i have ran two 3 man battlesuit squads completly off the table, you have to use there leadership against them, make them take morale checks as much as possible. overwelm him with troops and you will win. assault is the key, just getting there can be a problem though, so the more troops you have the more you have that will survive the shooting and get into assault. it is the only thing i have found to work for me. good luck. i have taken all the heavies out of my list and use troops, assaut marines, and termies. now i win every game because the railguns are pointless against troops (submunitions gets a couple here and there but nothing to worry about) and the battle suits can only survive in assault for so long and the fire warriors dont have a prayer 4 marines can eliminate 12 fire warriors most of the time in assault. keep in mind you only need half a squad to assault him and win.
    There is no Emperor, false or otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frank,
    His Suits have teh missle pods and plasma, and a bunch of sheild drones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

You need to mech up then; Drop Pods won't cut it, and if you go for Bikes you'll need a lot of them, far more than you could fit in a 1500pt list, so's you could CC his Suits and Melta his Railheads. Even Rhinos and Razorbacks are susceptible to being Plasma'd and Missile'd, especially if his Suits are carrying Multi-Trackers, and since they don't allow you to charge on the turn you disembark your choices are either spray and pray with your bolters or give up and go home.

MM Land Raiders are by far your best bet. Shrike would be cool too, but he relies heavily on going first. Scout Bikers might also help. Those things are seriously cool; use Trip Mines to make him worry about the terrain his Suits are using, and because they have Scouts, Inflitrate AND Turbo-Boost they can get in his face from turn one and stay there, plus their AGLs will bother Devilfish side/ rear armour in addition to wounding all of his infantry on a 2+. MM Land Speeders are nice, cheap, Deep Striking Melta, so you might want to consider those, or possibly even an LS Storm or two.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

cough cough vindicator cough cough

but in all seriousness the vinicator makes a mockery of his battlesuits saves even with the 2+ save upgrade cant quite remember what its called i think its iradium armour, it also istakills all his battlesuits and laughs in the face of his shield drones with its temlate and the very high strenght ordance can knock some of his vehicles straight out of the sky and on top of all that you pat less than half the cost of a land raider for it even with some upgrades
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast