New to 40k and IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to 40k and IG

I've been debating on if I should play Blood Angel or IG for forever and the consensus I've heard is that since I'm a bit of a war history buff, I should go IG. I've got the Codex and I quite like how they seem to fight more like a real army as opposed to things like the Space Marines were even the infantry feels like a light tank.

But, I'm paralyzed on a couple of key choices for my army. Biggest example, is squad composition. I'm looking at a 1000pt army to start with and from what I've read of the various codex's, it seems to me that Imperial Guard needs to really take advantage of it's large number of special weapons and the ability for Officers to give orders, but those two often clash. Like, would I get just one big 50 platoon to maximize the double fire order? If I do that, should I waste points buying them things like grenade launchers and heavy bolters, which don't benefit from the order or just stick to lasguns?

On the subject of giant 50 man squads, I hate Commissars. That'll make sense in a moment, I promise. Having 35pt unit in an army that prizes numbers just strikes me as ridiculous, especially since that 35pt still only gets you a 1 Wound, Armor Save 5+ model. But, I have been told that the Stubborn rule can be very powerful in that 50 man squad I'm thinking about running, though I hesitate to agree that Stubborn is THAT great for the squad. Of course, the same person also suggested giving said commissar a power weapon, along with every squad sargent in that platoon. I could understand his reasons for why he felt it was effective, but I honestly had to keep blood from coming out of my ears as I crunched the numbers and found I could buy almost 2 more squads of troopers for that much. Likewise, I only really saw those power weapons being worth the cost when fighting space marines. Am I a noob for thinking that or is such a suggestion indeed dubious?

Now, the Chimera. I look at the Chimera, and I know it says 'Transport', but unlike the Rhino and the Trukk, I don't see a Transport, I see a Light Tank. For 65pts you get a 12 front armor vehicle with a Multilaser, Heavy Bolter and Heavy Stubber. That alone gives it a large amount of anti-infantry power for a vehicle of it's cost. Now add in that 5 guardsmen can fire from it, that officers can still issue orders from inside it and a Platoon Command Squad is conveniently, 5 men strong, I find it difficult to not buy one for every Platoon Commander I have. Not as a transport to increase mobility, but to protect the officer while it issues orders and act as an anti-infantry light tank in support of that Platoon. Is this a viable stratagy, or again, crazy talk?

Also, how important is mobility to Imperial Guard? They seem to be the second worst army in close combat, so attempting it seems fairly suicidal, so I didn't think much of mobility. Especially since you can out-shoot most anything short of the Tau. But, should I have a Chimera or two to get some guardsmen up into close combat? If I do, what do I put in those Chimera's for that fight? Orgryns are too expensive and Special Weapon Squads with flamers are fairly narrow in scope. Perhaps use Storm Troops as close range fighters? Or maybe use a Vendetta Gunship to Deep Strike a normal guard squad in? I guess, in essence, should I have elements of my army be outfitted for close combat, even though they will not be a match for anything short of Tau, or only charge into close combat as a last resort? If it's the second one, that what purpose do Rough Riders serve, as they are little better then Guardsmen in close combat yet cost substantially more and only have a laspistol to shot while not in close combat.

On that subject comes my final question. How do Imperial Guard beat Orks? Orks only cost one more point per model, yet in close combat, by my math, they can EASILY maintain a 3 to 1 kill ratio, perhaps more. You can try and hammer them down with Lasgun fire, but again, there are almost as many of them as there are of you, so it is very difficult to attrition them down via lasgun volleys like you would other armies. In 30 man squad of Orcks, if only 10 get to anything short of a full 50 man squad, that squad is almost assuredly destroyed or crippled to the point that it's perpetually falling back. That is a very steep disadvantage. You can try and artillery them to dust, but you can very easily end up the scatter dice gods 'Female Dog'. Orks are sadly very profecient at tank hunting via walkers and, well, Tank Hunters, so even you're armor can be destroyed by a unit costing far less then it. How do you counter them without specifically building your army to do it?

Edit: Oh, also, 5+ armor save. Should I even consider that as a benefit, or ignore it since most races base weapons have AP 5? Basically, should I treat my armor save like the orks treat theirs, like it's not even really there or more like the Tau, it makes me substantially more durable?

Last edited by Kuraito; July 21st, 2009 at 17:26.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Welcome into the fold of the Emperor's Hammer! Faithful servant of the Imperium, you put forth a series of great questions so I will try to attempt them as best as my humble skills and the grace of the Emperor allow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuraito View Post
    I've been debating on if I should play Blood Angel or IG for forever and the consensus I've heard is that since I'm a bit of a war history buff, I should go IG. I've got the Codex and I quite like how they seem to fight more like a real army as opposed to things like the Space Marines were even the infantry feels like a light tank.
    I personally play both the BA and IG as my two main 40k armies and I can say that you'd probably enjoy both, but in completely different ways. But if you're new, pick one, collect a decent force, learn the rules and how you like to play and then when you want a change of pace go pick up some red-armored Angels.

But, I'm paralyzed on a couple of key choices for my army. Biggest example, is squad composition. I'm looking at a 1000pt army to start with and from what I've read of the various codex's, it seems to me that Imperial Guard needs to really take advantage of it's large number of special weapons and the ability for Officers to give orders, but those two often clash. Like, would I get just one big 50 platoon to maximize the double fire order? If I do that, should I waste points buying them things like grenade launchers and heavy bolters, which don't benefit from the order or just stick to lasguns?
    While orders are quite handy and a lot of fun to use, you probably shouldn't base your army to heavily upon them. They are there to supplement a strong foundation, they are not the foundation itself.

Special weapons are AWESOME in just about any squad that can take them. Sure with First Rank Fire! Second Rank Fire! (FRF!SRF!) you can get maybe 3 lasgun shots per model, I promise you that over the course of the game a 5pt Flamer or Grenade Launcher will most definitely net you better results against just about any type of infantry unit. Plus, no matter how many shots you fire a lasgun won't hurt a tank. Ever. Meltaguns, Grenade Launchers, and Plasma guns all have this capability in one form or another. So to summarize that little bit: special weapons aren't a waste of points unless you use them incorrectly (i.e. buying flamers for a unit that sits back and shoots or buying a meltagun that goes hunting for light infantry). Otherwise, even with orders, they will outperform the humble lasgun point-for-point.

Also, outside of FRF!SRF! you have Bring it down! and Fire on my target! that your CCS can issue to squads. BID! is worthless with lasguns, as they will never hurt a vehicle and VERY RARELY wound a monstrous creature. FOMT! is useful with both the lasgun and special weaponry.

On the subject of giant 50 man squads, I hate Commissars. That'll make sense in a moment, I promise. Having 35pt unit in an army that prizes numbers just strikes me as ridiculous, especially since that 35pt still only gets you a 1 Wound, Armor Save 5+ model. But, I have been told that the Stubborn rule can be very powerful in that 50 man squad I'm thinking about running, though I hesitate to agree that Stubborn is THAT great for the squad. Of course, the same person also suggested giving said commissar a power weapon, along with every squad sargent in that platoon. I could understand his reasons for why he felt it was effective, but I honestly had to keep blood from coming out of my ears as I crunched the numbers and found I could buy almost 2 more squads of troopers for that much. Likewise, I only really saw those power weapons being worth the cost when fighting space marines. Am I a noob for thinking that or is such a suggestion indeed dubious?
    Well Commissars aren't something you buy all the time, you take them specifically with large squads (often referred to as "blob squads"). The point of a blob squad is not really to inflict punishment, more often it is to *absorb* punishment while you protect more valuable units. You force your opponent to grind through 20-50 wounds. The problem with this is that without Stubborn and the re-roll from a commissar you're likely to break even if you vastly outnumber the opponent. We don't want to *win* combat per se, we just don't want to flee. You add the power weapons to the Commie and sarges just so you at least have the opportunity to inflict some moderate damage while you're waiting there, so that your points investment isn't just to tarpit an opposing unit.

It's a viable strategy, but there are plenty of lists out there that do very well without it. So if you don't think you need it or like it, don't do it

Now, the Chimera. I look at the Chimera, and I know it says 'Transport', but unlike the Rhino and the Trukk, I don't see a Transport, I see a Light Tank. For 65pts you get a 12 front armor vehicle with a Multilaser, Heavy Bolter and Heavy Stubber. That alone gives it a large amount of anti-infantry power for a vehicle of it's cost. Now add in that 5 guardsmen can fire from it, that officers can still issue orders from inside it and a Platoon Command Squad is conveniently, 5 men strong, I find it difficult to not buy one for every Platoon Commander I have. Not as a transport to increase mobility, but to protect the officer while it issues orders and act as an anti-infantry light tank in support of that Platoon. Is this a viable stratagy, or again, crazy talk?
    Chimeras are fantastic, and fantastic for the CCS/PCS (and Vets) in particular for the reasons you mentioned, the high number of special weapons (and BS4 with CCS/Vets).

A few pointers though. First, if you move up to 6" in a turn which you're more than likely will want to do (more to come on that) you only get to fire 1 weapon. Early game this will likely be the multilaser due to its high strength and decent range. However, when you get close...it doesn't get any better. Nor does the heavy bolter help you unless you stand still at-range. For this reason most people take heavy flamers on their hull mounts, as once you get close to the enemy they can be monstrously good.

Secondly, the heavy stubber is what many people refer to as "filler" in a list. It's not very good for 10 points. 10 points will net you 2x flamers/grenade launchers or a meltagun, which more than often will out perform the stubber. You take stubbers when you're already maxed on special weapons and can afford the weapon but not a whole unit to house the weapon, so you just take it on the Chimera.

Lastly, if you pay for a transport, use it as a transport! Why would you not want to move around? You can avoid enemies or close-in on enemies as needed, plus in 2/3 of 5th Ed. missions you need to capture and control objectives scattered around the board. Chimeras help you get there!

Also, how important is mobility to Imperial Guard? They seem to be the second worst army in close combat, so attempting it seems fairly suicidal, so I didn't think much of mobility. Especially since you can out-shoot most anything short of the Tau. But, should I have a Chimera or two to get some guardsmen up into close combat? If I do, what do I put in those Chimera's for that fight? Orgryns are too expensive and Special Weapon Squads with flamers are fairly narrow in scope. Perhaps use Storm Troops as close range fighters? Or maybe use a Vendetta Gunship to Deep Strike a normal guard squad in? I guess, in essence, should I have elements of my army be outfitted for close combat, even though they will not be a match for anything short of Tau, or only charge into close combat as a last resort? If it's the second one, that what purpose do Rough Riders serve, as they are little better then Guardsmen in close combat yet cost substantially more and only have a laspistol to shot while not in close combat.
    If you want to have a *chance* at winning close combat go for Rough Riders, Ogryns, or Grey Knight allies from the Daemonhunters codex. You should most likely never expect guardsmen to win you combat in 5th Ed. outside of a Straken CCS maybe. The best you can do is attempt to stall or "tarpit" your opponent. For this I refer you to blob squads and commissars above. RRs and Ogryns aren't really *competitive* because they are close combat units in a shooty army. It's usually best to play to our strengths and avoid our weaknesses where possibly. I still find them fun to toy around with though

Mobility is HIGHLY important to every army, the IG are not an exception. However, you usually want to avoid assaults whenever possible. However, don't be afraid of them either. If you're going to get charged and there is nothing you can do about it, considering charging in instead, or getting close up on the enemy for some last ditch rapid fire. At least you can hope to take a few of the bastards with ya.

On that subject comes my final question. How do Imperial Guard beat Orks? Orks only cost one more point per model, yet in close combat, by my math, they can EASILY maintain a 3 to 1 kill ratio, perhaps more. You can try and hammer them down with Lasgun fire, but again, there are almost as many of them as there are of you, so it is very difficult to attrition them down via lasgun volleys like you would other armies. In 30 man squad of Orcks, if only 10 get to anything short of a full 50 man squad, that squad is almost assuredly destroyed or crippled to the point that it's perpetually falling back. That is a very steep disadvantage. You can try and artillery them to dust, but you can very easily end up the scatter dice gods 'Female Dog'. Orks are sadly very profecient at tank hunting via walkers and, well, Tank Hunters, so even you're armor can be destroyed by a unit costing far less then it. How do you counter them without specifically building your army to do it?
    I don't play against Orks often but I can give you some basic advice that I would use if I were to face them:

1.) Orks can't charge you if you're in a transport. Move up on them, get a turn or two of blistering fire on their horde from your multilaser/heavy flamer and special weapons in the passenger squad. Once they pop the Chimera, blast them again. They should be significantly weakened from 2-3 turns of pressured shooting and will hopefully have had to make a Morale check or three.

2.) We've got some great mid-range anti-infantry weapons. Grenade Launchers, Missile Launchers, Heavy Bolters, and Autocannons will very likely be your best friends. Mortars wouldn't be too bad either, decent strength, good range, and can force Pinning. Also, pie plates (aka Ordnance Large Blasts) from our tanks tend to be inaccurate at times, but it's hard to NOT hit a horde of orks. Well placed blasts will wreck havoc on Orks and do so for relatively cheap (GLs/Flamers/Mortars are only 5pts!!)

3.) Orks have low LD and I don't remember them being fearless/stubborn with many of their units. The Psyker Battle Squad and sniper rifles and mortars can all abuse this weakness.

4.) If they load up on bikes and trukks to whiz around the table, show them what autocannons can do to those types of units! They're cheap and highly effective.

Edit: Oh, also, 5+ armor save. Should I even consider that as a benefit, or ignore it since most races base weapons have AP 5? Basically, should I treat my armor save like the orks treat theirs, like it's not even really there or more like the Tau, it makes me substantially more durable?
    I ignore it. You'll rarely get to take armor saves except against non-elite assault units. Most shooting weapons will have enough AP to pierce it and most elite assault units will bring power weapons/rending/or an equivalent to rip through it. Only if they have normal close combat weapons would I really expect any saves. If you need more protection for certain squads, use less valuable units to screen them to offer 4+ cover saves. Use camo-cloaks to boost this if you feel it's worth it. Carapace armor upgrades can be nice against some armies, like perhaps Tyranids and Orks that won't have tons of AP4 weapons, but don't expect it to be amazing.

Hopefully that helped, and I'm sure more of our vets can offer more and better advice than mine Feel free to ask away, and great post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

i would go guard. they look good. they got great fluff and history and they easier to modify.
    I am an Indestructible master of War.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Remember 3 guardsmen cost less than a single marine, 2 vets cost less, 1 stormtrooper costs the same. Using numbers there's no way we can lose.

Take heavy and special weapons, suire you can't get extra shots with FRF SRF but the extra strength, AP, or templates are well worth the cost.

I don't use commissars either and my guard do well enough. I use a big platoon (4 infantry squads, 2 heavy weapon squads) and when I blob it's 2 infanttry squads togeather. I don't feel the need for a commissar to watch 20 men, but if I was going with a big 50 man squad i'd take one.

Many people use these "pillbox" chimeras. They sit in your deployment zone with a command squad killing stuff and issuing orders then late in the game they zoom out and grab some objectives. Just watch people fgetting to your side armour, it's much less impressive than your front.

Mobility to some extent is important. Remeber 2/3 missions rely on capturing objectives. In annihilation you can just kill stuff,capture and control you should try to blast away enemies near the opponents objective while sending out a few squads in transports (or DSing, or outflanking) to try and capture or contest their objective while holding yours. In Seize Ground mobility is important, don't combined squad and send men to half the objectives (rounding up).

When the orks get close send out screening units, (human shields) the orks will charge them, kill them, and be left out in the open. Then counter attack with everything and don't stop shooting till they stop twitching. Rinse and Repeat. Also you can use a vindicare assassin to kill the ork nobz, then charge the 29 ork, nobless units with sentinels they have no change of hurting. 35 points tying up almost 180 points -priceless.

Well it's useful in combat, against other guard, orks. I more or less discount it against shooting races.
    Remember the rule of thumb, quantity before quality. if your enemy has 50 guys, have 100, if they have 40, try to get 120... Even necrons fear 3 on 1.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips. From what I'm hearing, I don't think 'Blob Squads' are really my style, atleast in groups of more then 20. I think I'm likely to use individual 10 man squads with their own special weapons for a particular task, like anti-infantry and tank hunting, letting them stay fairly mobile in the pursuit of an objective while still being well armed.

First question I have, is how do allies work exactly? I didn't see any rules for them in any codex I have. Where does it explain how allies work, how many you can play, and which armies have which allies? It would be pretty awesome if I could include a sqaud of Blood Angel's in this imperial guard army. Likewise, is there any rules in 5th edition for making you're own commanders with thier own special rules or even altering how you're army works, like having the option to give all you're troopers Carapace armor. like back in 4th?

That being said, I now have a new score of questions. First off, which special/heavy weapons are the best to use? I know a mix is generally a good idea, but a lot of special weapons confuse me. Flamers for instance, while being cheap, since you can only use them when you're within charge range of the enemy, you'll likely only get one shot with it. 5pts for a weapon that you'll only get to use once as well as giving up another lasgun in that squad, is that really such a good trade? Plasma Guns are powerful to be sure, but 15pts is steep. Sniper rifles strike me as being very powerful for 5pts, but would it be wise to say, equip an entire command squad with them, or should I stick to ratlings for that?

Then there is the anti-infantry weapons, Heavy Bolter and Autocannon. They cost the same, while Autocannon has +2 Strength and +12 inches of range while the Bolter is heavy 3 as opposed to heavy 2. So, which is better to use as a squad support machine gun? Same can be said of Mortar and Missile Launcher. Mortars and Frag missile are pretty much identical, so you're paying 10pts for the ability to fire Krak Missiles. Is that worth it? Finally, the Lascannon is very confusing, as it's not THAT much better then a Krak Missile, has little use as an anti-infantry weapon, unlike the missile launcher, and costs a whooping 20pts. In short, from my vantige point, mortars, Heavy Bolters/Autocannons and Grenade Launchers offer the most bang for you're buck, with missle launchers and meltaguns splashed in for tank hunting. My intuition tells me to ignore and avoid more then 2 or 3 of things like plasma guns and lascannons, if any at all. Am I underestimating these weapons?

Speaking of tank hunting, I was thinking for my first armored peice a Vendetta Gunship. It strikes me as an excellent tank hunter with its three lascannons and with the side sponsors it's not bad at mowing down infantry. Add in its ability to deep strike and carry a squad while doing so, it seems solid. But, I realize that I could buy a Hell Hound, death incarnate to light infantry or a versatile Leman Russ Battle Tank for around the same cost. Since I only have 1000pts to play around with, other then chimera's which do you think is the best to take and if I should be taking vehicles at all with only 1000pts?

@Darguth regarding Orks: Actually, all orks have a Mob Rule special ability, where the leadership of the squad is equal to the number of orks in it, and if this number is higher then 10, they count as fearless. So, in practice, almost all boys are fearless until you kill 2/3rds of them. This is what makes them REALLY dangerous in my opinion, as at least space marines can be pinned. Orks you HAVE to just straight up kill before they get to you. Kevin's idea seems like it could work, but a lot could go wrong. Orks just seem over powered as hell to me, best close combat unit in the game, comes in hordes of 30, are fearless and cost only 6pts each. No matter what army you are, that is an uphill battle. But, I'm a noob, sure they have weaknesses to exploit that I just can't see.
    Last edited by Kuraito; July 22nd, 2009 at 06:18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

i would go chimera. it can have the hunter killer missile for medium armor. multi-laser for light armor. and then you combine multi-laser, heavy bolter, and heavy stubber for infantry mowing.
    I am an Indestructible master of War.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Thanks for the tips. From what I'm hearing, I don't think 'Blob Squads' are really my style, atleast in groups of more then 20. I think I'm likely to use individual 10 man squads with their own special weapons for a particular task, like anti-infantry and tank hunting, letting them stay fairly mobile in the pursuit of an objective while still being well armed.
    A solid tactic, and one that I tend to favor. I tried out a blob squad in my first 5th Ed. game and it didn't turn out too well against an assaulty Deathwing unit...

First question I have, is how do allies work exactly? I didn't see any rules for them in any codex I have. Where does it explain how allies work, how many you can play, and which armies have which allies? It would be pretty awesome if I could include a sqaud of Blood Angel's in this imperial guard army. Likewise, is there any rules in 5th edition for making you're own commanders with thier own special rules or even altering how you're army works, like having the option to give all you're troopers Carapace armor. like back in 4th?
    Allied Imperial rules can be found in the Daemonhunters and Witchhunters codices. I don't recall the rules off hand but I think you're limited to like 1 HQ, 1 Elite, 2 Troops and maybe like 1 FA or something like that as allies. As to your question, no you cannot include allied Blood Angels in your IG list (I wish!) though you could use their models to represent Grey Knights so long as your opponent doesn't mind or you convert them to be WYSIWYG.

That being said, I now have a new score of questions. First off, which special/heavy weapons are the best to use? I know a mix is generally a good idea, but a lot of special weapons confuse me. Flamers for instance, while being cheap, since you can only use them when you're within charge range of the enemy, you'll likely only get one shot with it. 5pts for a weapon that you'll only get to use once as well as giving up another lasgun in that squad, is that really such a good trade? Plasma Guns are powerful to be sure, but 15pts is steep. Sniper rifles strike me as being very powerful for 5pts, but would it be wise to say, equip an entire command squad with them, or should I stick to ratlings for that?
    To answer the first question, is there are no "best" weapons. Each serves a specific purpose which will be situationally better or worse than other options.

Flamers are the best weapon you can ask for point-for-point to take out most infantry units. If you can hit 5 or more models, I'm pretty sure that the humble flamer will cause more average unsaved wounds than any other weapon available to us point-for-point. As you said, the range is limiting however. You can try to circumvent that by bring 3-4 of them in your PCS or vet squad and trying to kill off the entire opposing unit with them. Not unlikely actually. Also, mounting them in a Chimera armed with a hull heavy flamer gives you an extra template and gives you the safety to probably get to use the flamers at least 2-3 times hopefully.

I'm not a huge fan of sniper rifles, and if I bring them I'll bring Ratlings. They're cheaper than Vets or a CCS (IIRC, don't have my codex in front of me) once kitted with the sniper rifles, you get the BS4 and good special skills like Infiltrate and Stealth for dirt cheap. If you don't have the points for a whole new unit though, I'd put them in your CCS to give you a static fire base (CCS can't score so they are usually not very mobile) and take advantage of the BS4 vets in the unit.

Plasma guns are expensive, so they are an elite weapon. Only take them when you know that they'll earn back their points. They are best used at taking out MCs, terminators, and the like. Putting a couple of wounds on an MC is usually worth the 15pt price tag.

Then there is the anti-infantry weapons, Heavy Bolter and Autocannon. They cost the same, while Autocannon has +2 Strength and +12 inches of range while the Bolter is heavy 3 as opposed to heavy 2. So, which is better to use as a squad support machine gun? Same can be said of Mortar and Missile Launcher. Mortars and Frag missile are pretty much identical, so you're paying 10pts for the ability to fire Krak Missiles. Is that worth it? Finally, the Lascannon is very confusing, as it's not THAT much better then a Krak Missile, has little use as an anti-infantry weapon, unlike the missile launcher, and costs a whooping 20pts. In short, from my vantige point, mortars, Heavy Bolters/Autocannons and Grenade Launchers offer the most bang for you're buck, with missle launchers and meltaguns splashed in for tank hunting. My intuition tells me to ignore and avoid more then 2 or 3 of things like plasma guns and lascannons, if any at all. Am I underestimating these weapons?
    Your generalization is pretty accurate. Grenade launchers and autocannons are the workhorses of the IG (after the all-mighty lasgun of course). They are cheap and versatile, so the points are almost never wasted. Sure they might lack the AP to take out crack troops or the super high strength to bring down heavy armor. But they *can* kill any medium infantry units with easy and their medium-high strength values let you wound heavily armored infantry or MCs with ease to at least force them to make saving throws. Also, their strengths won't auto-penetrate medium or higher armor, but you can easily penetrate light armor and sometimes have a chance to glance or luckily penetrate medium armor. When in doubt of what you'll be fighting these are usually the best fall-backs.

Heavy bolters are actually a more specialized weapon than you might think. Sure they get an extra shot over the AC but the lack of strength drastically changes their functionality. It's still high enough to force saves on 3+ save infantry or better (and obviously still blow through anything lighter quite nicely) but you sacrifice the ability to really harm MCs easily or to take out medium armor. With S5 you at best can destroy AV10, and you can only glance AV11. These would be the best weapon against ork hordes, but you still need ways to take out his trukks and bikers which the AC is better at, so either ACs all around or a hearty mix of the two.

Missile Launchers are going to do better than your AC at MEQs and have a slightly better chance at blowing up armor. The frag option can make up for the solo Krak shot, giving you an option against lighter infantry units. Also, the S8 causes instant death to T4 so it's a decent way to get around Feel No Pain and We'll Be Back sometimes. When playing SM, CSM, and Necrons I'd most likely prefer the missile launcher, in any other situation the AC is probably a better option.

Meltaguns are great weapon for their cost, but they need mobility to be worth a damn. Plasmas are better for footsloggers if you're planning on taking out elites (as mentioned above) but if you need dedicated anti-tank meltas are *THE* choice. Just make sure to have some way to get them where they need to be.

Speaking of tank hunting, I was thinking for my first armored peice a Vendetta Gunship. It strikes me as an excellent tank hunter with its three lascannons and with the side sponsors it's not bad at mowing down infantry. Add in its ability to deep strike and carry a squad while doing so, it seems solid. But, I realize that I could buy a Hell Hound, death incarnate to light infantry or a versatile Leman Russ Battle Tank for around the same cost. Since I only have 1000pts to play around with, other then chimera's which do you think is the best to take and if I should be taking vehicles at all with only 1000pts?
    Can't really go wrong with a Vendetta, I'd just recommend you get some magnets so you can switch it to a Valkyrie should you ever want to

If you need anti-tank and some mobility take the Vendetta. If you've already got enough transport/mobility in Chimeras then an anti-vehicle tank might be better (Vanquisher/Demolisher/Devil Dog/Medusa).

@Darguth regarding Orks: Actually, all orks have a Mob Rule special ability, where the leadership of the squad is equal to the number of orks in it, and if this number is higher then 10, they count as fearless. So, in practice, almost all boys are fearless until you kill 2/3rds of them. This is what makes them REALLY dangerous in my opinion, as at least space marines can be pinned. Orks you HAVE to just straight up kill before they get to you. Kevin's idea seems like it could work, but a lot could go wrong. Orks just seem over powered as hell to me, best close combat unit in the game, comes in hordes of 30, are fearless and cost only 6pts each. No matter what army you are, that is an uphill battle. But, I'm a noob, sure they have weaknesses to exploit that I just can't see.
    Killing ork mobs of that size isn't too difficult though I wouldn't think. They don't have armor to protect their squishiness nor the transport capacity to get up on you quickly. Nor do they have the luxury of spreading out to avoid your pie plates and other assorted blasts. Heavy bolters, grenade launchers, mortars, and a few battle tanks should be able to cut down their numbers awful quick. Griffons are cheap artillery tanks with medium strength to bust up their T4 and enough AP that they shouldn't get saves. The reasonable range and indirect fire make it a tank easier to screen and protect as well.

Remember to concentrate fire on one unit at a time. Destroying half of two units still means you get two assaults going. Destroying one whole unit cuts down on what you're losing when they finally reach you. 30 orks against one of your squads can still only kill 10 guys. 15/15 orks against two squads could possibly kill 20 guardsman. Pick the most imminent threat and have your entire army fire upon it until it's destroyed or no longer a reasonable threat (i.e. pinned, falling back, or widdled down to just a handful of models).

+ Reply to Thread