Anti-Tank Basilisk? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anti-Tank Basilisk?

Does anyone use the basilisk anymore? If so would you count on it as your primary anti tank weapon. Im talking AV14 too, would you trust it to be able to take that out?

I've been trying to make a list to avoid using melta vets in a chimera and am looking for other guard options to take out AV14, I dont really like the demolisher either, stubby little tank...

The other problem I come to when avoiding chimera vets is I realize I will lose objective games because I will have no speedy objective takers! I suppose I could always just transport regular infantry but if Im doing that I might as well have them as vets to kill armor. - I've always liked the idea of deep striking Stormtroopers with meltas to take out tanks but they aren't troops and I need some kind of mobile scoring unit don't I.

Edit* OH yeah... would anyone be crazy enough to only take one squad of vets in one chimera without having another incase you lose one?

Anyways, feel free to give me advice on that but really I just want to know if can I trust the basilisk as an, at least semi-reliable, anti tank unit.

Last edited by AppleCookie; July 22nd, 2009 at 12:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

A vendetta is better than a basilisk. More armour on the sides, it isn't open topped and the weapons have a 75% accuracy. On top of that they can outflank or scout move to get into a good firing position to maybe shoot the side armour instead.

Put a cheap special weapon squad inside with 3 flamers and the vendetta can rush forewards to count as a scoring transport claiming an objective or use it to dropp off the infantry and toast an enemy squad.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

I haven't used my trusty Basilisk in 5th Ed. yet so this is really just speculation. Honestly I probably won't take artillery pieces in standard gameplay very often. The lack of mobility and their vulnerability to rabid anti-tank units make them sitting ducks.

I would, however, strongly consider them in Planetstrike or COD games. Especially as an attacker in Planetstrike, as you can sit on a table edge and bombard the crap out of ANYTHING on the table basically, with a much reduced threat of counter-attack because the defender needs to stay holed up in buildings/objectives.

I see artillery as a supplementary option. You take artillery when you think they'll serve a valuable purpose and you have enough mobility and priority targets that they won't be wiped out too quickly. So I probably wouldn't use them in less than 1,500pts or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

i still use my Basilisk now and again, but it never has been very often. when it comes to artillery i still use the griffin mortar a lot.
    I am an Indestructible master of War.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

The Basilisk should work well enough as an anti-armor piece. Indirect fire goes a fair distance towards making up for its weak armor, and how much heavy armor do non-Guard armies field, anyway? The 'ordnance penetrating armor' rule is very nice and the bassie can double up as a MEQ squad killer. Lascannons don't have that kind of versatility.

One tactic I'm playing with is using stormtroopers to attack an objective while footslogging the troops over. It takes timing and a little luck, but it seems to work so long as the enemy doesn't have more than one unit holding it. A bassie strike, followed by stormtrooper deepstrike, followed by twenty grunts with a Commisar would be quite a hammer blow, and pretty fun to set up, too.

OH yeah... would anyone be crazy enough to only take one squad of vets in one chimera without having another incase you lose one?
    Not me. Redundancy is my path to victory with Guard.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AppleCookie View Post
    Does anyone use the basilisk anymore? If so would you count on it as your primary anti tank weapon. Im talking AV14 too, would you trust it to be able to take that out?
    I wouldn't want it to be my only option, but I've had some success tankbusting with Bassies.

Edit* OH yeah... would anyone be crazy enough to only take one squad of vets in one chimera without having another incase you lose one?
    Why take one when you can take several for fairly cheap?
    Formerly known as SimulatedSnowman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

I use 2 basilisks in 1000 points. I must be insane.
    Last edited by magila; July 23rd, 2009 at 02:06.

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

use a medusa, its str 10 with a large blast and 36' range, and if you take a breecher shell(usually not worth it) it uses a small blast and becomes ap 1 with 48' range
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

5E (more specifically, TLOS) nerfed the crap out of artillery in general for regular play. It's very rare anymore to have a spot on the board you can be 'safe' for even two turns.

Whatever you do with IG, redundancy is important. One Basilisk is unreliable, one chimera full of vets is unreliable, etc etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright thanks, I think I will go with two Basilisks then. I know it might not be as good as some other options but I guess its having fun thats more important, I love that model.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast