Librarium Online Forums banner

How to beat Dark Angels and SM

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  RJSuperfreaky 
#1 ·
Any tactics/ideas? This is a 1000 point battle.

Against Dark Angels, his Zeal gives me lots of troubles... 7 attacks on the charge, 4+ invulnerable, 4 wounds. Can't kill that for the life of me. I'm good otherwise.

Against SM I am just outnumbered from what I feel, and can't beat him. And this kid is unbelievably lucky with armor saves. You tell him to roll 10 5+ invulnerable he will pass 8 of the 10. Meanwhile I have to roll 10 regular armor saves on 3+ and I fail 6 of them.

#2 ·
Against SM I am just outnumbered from what I feel, and can't beat him. And this kid is unbelievably lucky with armor saves. You tell him to roll 10 5+ invulnerable he will pass 8 of the 10. Meanwhile I have to roll 10 regular armor saves on 3+ and I fail 6 of them.
Can't give advise for luck. Try loaded dice?

PL

#3 ·
1000 pts is tough for the DH. We can hardly put together an army at that points level.

If you're serious about being competitive, I think you have two options for your builds.

1. Double land raider. This kind of army build has been commonly described everywhere and it's tactics are pretty simple to grasp if difficult to put into action. Let your raiders do all the dirty work, unload GKs with incinerators for decisiveness. It can be tough to win because you have to be so very very smart with your tactics, but this is a tough nut for many enemy armies to crack. I would strongly consider at least one of your raiders be a crusader.

2. IST melta spam in Rhinos. Take 3 or so IST units, 2x meltas, in Rhinos. Lots of mobile terrain to create and you have plenty of meltas to take down enemy mech. Back this up with a unit of GKTs and/or some PAGKs and you can make a pretty decent army out of it. Consider adding in a GK dread with TLLC/ML for additional shooting potency.

#4 ·
I find that grey knights will usually do well against other marine armies (except probably space wolves). Then again, I also haven't played against Blood Angels.

For the DA character, I'm assuming you're talking about Azrael? That's easy. Have your GM deal with him. Since he is an IC without a retinue, he can be targeted in cc. Make sure you give your GM an Icon so that he get 4+ inv as well. Just get past his Inv save even once, and he's as good as dead from your GM's NFW's force effect. As soon as he dies, the whole squad loses it's 4+ inv saves.

As for the SM, there is no counter to luck, but if you believe in the laws of averages, his luck will run out soon enough.

#5 ·
Yeah, as you stated in my other thread, I can now beat him I'm pretty sure, as long as I get the charge. His Azreal I guess is how you spell it, sorry, was the thing that would kill me. 6 attacks on my 3 GKT + GM isn't cool.

And yea, hopefully the luck will finally run out for the SM player, ahah.

#6 ·
In this case, don't give your GM a retinue. Just put him with a squad of Grey Knights or GKT's. Then Azrael will have to decide whether he wants to attack your GK's or your GM as they are 2 separate units in cc (whereas your GM + retinue is considered only 1 unit). The downside to this is that if he has any Power Fists in his unit, they can target the GM and possibly insta-kill him whereas if he had a retinue, they can't.

#8 ·
Keep him at a distance, fight him in a ranged dual his precious dark angels can't hit you alot of the time thanks to the shroudind so just stay about 24 inches away and storm bolter him to death. If he has any transports those are public enemy #1 after you blow them up hellfire dreads are nice for this storm bolter him to death. If he starts to get too close back up most of your weapons are assault weapons, so use that ability. Gry knights are s6, this does not make them good at combat this is a last resort. At range grey knights can even beat sternguard.

at 24 inches sternguard shooting at grey knights in cover using hellfire rounds
approx 67% shots get passed shrouding keep in mind this is for full units
approx 44% hit
approx 37% wound
approx 12% die

at 24 inches sternguard firing at grey knights out of cover using vengance round
approx 67% get passed the shrouding
approx 44% hit
approx 7% overheat
approx 2% die from overheating weapons
approx 22% wound no saves

at 24 inches grey knights firing at sternguard cover isn't irrelavent
approx 67% hit
approx 34% wound
approx 11% kill

Take into account that your grey knights will be in cover hellfire is his best option he only kills you with approximately 12% of his shots. You kill him with approximately 11% of your shots whether their in cover or notyou also get twice as many shots and cost the same amount of points you should win the ranged war against either type of marine dark angel or their finest shots sternguard.

#9 ·
sneaky

If he keeps getting to you with Azreal...you could get sneeky

Try a Culexus assas (lowers leadership nearby) then put Word of Emp on your GKs meaning he has to roll to assault you...

may work once (if you can hide the assas totally from enemy line of sight till they are right on top of you. then just keep shooting him down or take the assault yourself..however you may find the extra point needed to pull this stunt are wasted..
but maybe you could try it for fun once..also since your guys are fearless...

#10 ·
Thanks a lot guys for the input on the Dark Angels, I think I got this next time we play.

As for the SM, I am still clueless, I lost again. Rolls were even. He simply outnumbers me, and there is nothing I can do from what I see. After 4 turns, I was out, and he was still kicking his dread, scouts, and some tactical marines plus a whirlwind. All I managed to wipe out was his biker, command squad and terms. Also a few tactical marines dropped from stormbolter fire, like 5.

#12 ·
Not 100% sure on all the names for him, but here it goes

Commander and a command squad
- flamer
- apotherey
- champion
- power fist
- maybe someone else....

5 Scouts

like 16 tactical marines

dreadnought with assault cannon

whirlwind

5 terms with a few powerfists

My list is

Grand Master with 3 term retiune

2 x 7 PAGK, 1 incinerator in each

Land Raider with Extra Armor and Smokes

#13 ·
Drop the GKGM for a BC in a 1000pt list

Put both incinerators in one squad and have that squad in the LR. Also put the BC in with this squad.

With the points saved by droping the GKT and the GKGM to a BC buy a GKDread. DCCW/Plasma Cannon set up.

So:

BC, Hammer Hand - 71
Justicar, 7x PAGKs, 2x Incinerators - 245
Justicar, 8x PAGKs, 2 x Psycannons - 300
Land Raider, Extra Armour, Smoke Launches, Search Light - 259
GKDreadnough, DCCW, Plasma Cannon, Extra armour - 125

Total - 1000

This would eat that DA list.

PL

#14 · (Edited)
Aside from reprinting the "Way of the Water Warrior", which I think is an excellent way for players really to grasp the nuance of playing DH, let me give some quick advice. As a foreword, I have been learning to play DH effectively myself, and my last battle was a 1750 Annihilation against the DA where I didn't lose a single unit (Something like 6 killpoints to 0).

DA and SM are essentially the same, but DA are SM's weaker cousin now (part of the downside of getting a new DA codex before the new SM codex). DA tend to be shooty, but you are shootier at range. Plus, if you stay out at 24" or greater, the shrouding will work better for you. My tactic for DA was to use cover effectively, and play a "refused flank". With our low model counts, there are really no other formations that work for us, as they all spread us out too much. They key is to position yourself to shoot shoot shoot and then assault the unit you shot. I agree with number six that the LR is our best friend, and I use at least 1, sometimes 2. I will also include at least 1 dread (ML, TLLC) if I can't fit the second LR in there.

Also, as a general rule, remember that objectives only really count at the end of the last turn of the game. Don't get too preoccupied with grabbing objectives early in the game (in fact, I would argue against it), because with our low model count it is highly unlikely that we will hold it for the duration. Rather take a long view, constantly moving and haranging the opponent until the final turn or two.

As far as Azrael, the mistake is to try to take him out toe-to-toe. Stay out of range and shoot the hell out of him. Nothing like rolling a ton of saves to counter a 2+.

Sorry for the generalizations, but I was trying to keep it short and sweet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.