Assault IG army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assault IG army

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

Assault IG army

What would be a good set up for an assault army? I want to have a army all in Vendettas (maybe one valk per squad) with few as possible troops on the ground.

My two command HQ platoon would be fully kitted out, including all the additional chars and comminsaar, 2 powerfist upgraded, 3 meltas and a medi-pack. These would be the two hard hitting squads.

Then I'd have three command infantry platoons (kitted out again) with a carry on special weapon team. This leave 4 infantry squads in the remaining vend/valks for objective capturing and two on the ground.

I may include a priest w/ evis to fill the empty spots on the transports for extra lil POW.

Now i don't know what to do with those two units on the ground... any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Backdraft005 View Post
    What would be a good set up for an assault army? I want to have a army all in Vendettas (maybe one valk per squad) with few as possible troops on the ground.

My two command HQ platoon would be fully kitted out, including all the additional chars and comminsaar, 2 powerfist upgraded, 3 meltas and a medi-pack. These would be the two hard hitting squads.

Then I'd have three command infantry platoons (kitted out again) with a carry on special weapon team. This leave 4 infantry squads in the remaining vend/valks for objective capturing and two on the ground.

I may include a priest w/ evis to fill the empty spots on the transports for extra lil POW.

Now i don't know what to do with those two units on the ground... any ideas?
    I really feel that it's significantly more difficult to make hard-hitting command squads in 5th Ed. If you're looking for assaulty units I'd recommend Rough Riders, Sentinels, Ogryns (probably in a Chimera), and massive blob squads kitted with Commissars and Sarges with PWs. The last option will have significantly more staying power, hitting power, and board control than small 5-8 man CCS/PCS.

However, all of those options cannot fly around in Valks, so if that is what you really want to do then yes CCS/PCS are probably your best assault options. Straken, Yarrick, and Deddog are all very good (though sometimes overcosted) options to boost assault units.

Now, I'm sure you more than likely know this but IG are not an assault army. If you try to play them as such you'll likely become frustrated rather quickly. I feel your best bet if you want to get into assault would be to play as a Chimera-based force, and have several counter-assault units follow behind the protection of the vehicle, then charge anything that gets too close.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x3)

I think people assume that I am going to attack out right. Everyone knows thats not the IG way. The mass vendettas will lay down a curtain of fire a few turns while moving around to get the cover save and the hit on 4+ bonus. Most SM and CSM use alot of rhinos and some support vehicles, so those can be popped, fairly easily versus the absurd amount of lascannons shots, and horde armes like Nids and Orks are pretty slow too, and any vehicles orks have, are good as dead (unless rolling is fudged up).

It'll be like a regular IG army, but the cout de grace will be squads dropping on the already mangle units of guys, blasting them with lasguns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

It'll be like a regular IG army, but the cout de grace will be squads dropping on the already mangle units of guys, blasting them with lasguns.
    The question then is, if you're ripping apart your enemy with vehicles and long-ranged fire why do you need to get your hands dirty in assault at the end?

If you're going air cav you're innately going to be a very mobile and shooty list and you have safeguards given to you to protect you from assaults. Why give away those benefits? Assault is something you more than likely wouldn't need to worry about, so why introduce another layer of unknowns?

If it's just for fun, I say go for it and let us know how you like it but competitively I feel like you're hamstringing yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

If you do, look into penal legion as troops, they're probably the most effective h2h fighters.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I, too, question your overall strategy. Vendettas are not that hard to kill, especially if moving slowly enough to fire all of the main weapons. If you compound that issue by not offering any other (significant) targets then the Vendettas will be shot down before they're ready to move in...which would cripple your ranged offense and leave your assault troops too far from the enemy. In addition, Tyranids and Orks are very fast--gauranteed turn 2 charges, usually--and if you plan to kill your enemy down to just a couple models before charging then you need artillery and Russes, not Vendettas that kill maybe 3 models a turn.

A better assault army would be infantry-heavy with Creed & Kell. Creed's special order lets ordinary Guardsmen hit as hard as Marines on the charge with the near-assurance of tying that enemy up for his own turn before dying off. That fits the Guard's strengths much better than zooming around like Eldar.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x3)

How does Straken work with regular guys? doesnt he have to be in the HQ unit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

How does Straken work with regular guys? doesnt he have to be in the HQ unit?
    Correct, he replaces the Company Command Officer in up to one Company Command Squad. Give his retinue some flamers, maybe a couple of bodyguards and go to town.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x3)

But people are talking about combine troops and whatnot, give, he would make an awesome addition to an HQ unit, but his ability only goes to those veterans right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

But people are talking about combine troops and whatnot, give, he would make an awesome addition to an HQ unit, but his ability only goes to those veterans right?
    Correct. By combined squads we are referring to the ability to combine infantry squads together (look at their special rules section of the codex). Give them a Commissar w/ a PW and a few power weapons on their sergeants and you'll have a good number of power attacks plus a large wound sink that is Stubborn with re-rollable Morale tests.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast