Best Heavy for cheap - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the Best Choice

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leman Russ Battle Tank

38 70.37%
  • 2x Hydras

6 11.11%
  • 2x Griffons

4 7.41%
  • Manticore

6 11.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Heavy for cheap

What is the best heavy that an otherwise ballanced list can get for 150 or 160 points?

Leman Russ

2x Hydras

2x Griffons

Manticore

I have recently been getting less than stellar results from my LRBT (other than being a fire magnet alongside my Demolishers and am wondering how the other options fair)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

All of those choices really have different roles so without knowing what you're lacking in your list or who your main opponents are it's really hard to comment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're using a lot of armor to get in people's faces, I'd just stick it out with your LRBT. Your bad luck can't last forever.

If you're looking for a change, I know the unit I've been itching to try out is the Manticore.
    Formerly known as SimulatedSnowman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lord borak View Post
    All of those choices really have different roles so without knowing what you're lacking in your list or who your main opponents are it's really hard to comment.

As the OP says, assume an otherwise ballanced list. To add a bit of additional info, assume it is a mechanized list so there are plenty of other vehicles on the board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

LRBT is junk.

Hydras knock out light AV and put out a ton of high S shots to hurt MCs and infantry.

Griffins mess up infantry with accurate bombardment, but don't threaten armor.

Manticores put out a ton of pies, a great threat against anything.

It depends on the rest of your army, what else do you have?
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    LRBT is junk.
    Lies and heresy, suffer not the witch to live!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Darguth View Post
    Lies and heresy, suffer not the witch to live!
    It's just not good compared to the other useful variants. The LRBT cannot reliably deal with heavy armor, cannot threaten Terminators, and cannot worry units in cover. It excels at wiping out clumped up marines in the open, whoop dee do. The Demolisher brings S10 AP2 ordnance to the table, scaring AV14 and Terminators while remaining a dominant horde checker. The Eradicator forgoes any effectiveness against vehicles to become the ultimate horde killer, 5th edition is all about cover and a S6 AP4 cover ignoring pie plate rocks face. The Executioner has 5, count 'em, 5 plasma cannon shots. That's a ton of hits and, cover or no cover, things will die.

The LRBT has been outclassed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on the rest of your army, what else do you have?

Is the original question one that cannot be answered out of context of an army? I am just looking to see if people feel that there is a significant inherent advantage to one of these choices.

I am actually rather a fan of the 2x hydras and their power against light vehicles, medium infantry and especially monstrous creatures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

A balanced army means a lot of things, those last couple points can fill a gap quite easily.

Of them, the Hydras and Manticore are the most versatile and generally useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

It's just not good compared to the other useful variants. The LRBT cannot reliably deal with heavy armor, cannot threaten Terminators, and cannot worry units in cover. It excels at wiping out clumped up marines in the open, whoop dee do. The Demolisher brings S10 AP2 ordnance to the table, scaring AV14 and Terminators while remaining a dominant horde checker. The Eradicator forgoes any effectiveness against vehicles to become the ultimate horde killer, 5th edition is all about cover and a S6 AP4 cover ignoring pie plate rocks face. The Executioner has 5, count 'em, 5 plasma cannon shots. That's a ton of hits and, cover or no cover, things will die.

The LRBT has been outclassed.
    The Demolisher sacrifices significant range.

The Eradicator, as you yourself admit, sacrifices any anti-tank viability.

The Executioner with PC sponsons is a significantly riskier points investment and bullet magnet.

The OP quest was about cheap heavy weapon support. The Executioner doesn't even come close to fitting in that category if you want the awesome 5 blast awezomah powah it can bring. The Demolisher is by far the closest competitor with the LRBT in versatility-for-cost benefits, so it really comes down to your play demographics.

Personally I don't really use any LRs for tank busting prefering meltas from Vets, ACs from line squads, or Devil Dogs; so that's one strike against the Demolisher for me. The LRBT will attract heavy fire away from your vital Troop Chimeras and force opponents to spread the board to deal with your additional range if they want to destroy the LRBT's anti-infantry capability (which they have plenty of for a low price tag). This lowers the effectiveness of most good anti-tank weapons such as meltas and MCs, enhancing the survivability of every vehicle in your list.

It all comes down to preference and your overall strategy. You're general strategy doesn't use the LRBT effectively. That's fine. I'm sure you're still very successful with what you do. I recognize the value of the Demolisher but it's strengths don't coincide with my playstyle. But don't say it's crap just because you don't prefer it, that's far to subjective.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast