First troop build (Not looking for critisism...Genuine question) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First troop build (Not looking for critisism...Genuine question)

I've been trying to form my first imperial guard army and am rather confused by the 5th edition.

I bought the Cadian battle force which consists of:

1 Sentinal
    1 Command Squad
    2 x 10 man Infantry Squads
    3 x Heavy Weapon teams

I've also added a leman russ.

My boggle comes when i try to form the base 1 HQ and 2 Troop choices.

On page 96 of the codex (INFANTRY PLATOONS) it states:

NOTE: All units on these 2 pages may NOT be chosen individually ONLY as a part of an infantry platoon

My read on this is that i cannot current have a "Company Command Squad" as i need to have a "Platoon Command Squad" to lead my Infantry Platoon?

So.. from the above troops i could have

1 Platoon Command Squad (1 commander & 4 Gaurdsman)
    2 x Infantry Squads (10 each)
    1 Heavy Weapons Squad (3 teams)

In my Infantry Platoon.

Does this look right? I assumed that the command squad enclosed in the box would count as a company command squad but it appears not. If all of the above counts as 1 troop choice where do i get a HQ from?

My other question is can the 4 elements which make up this "Infantry Platoon" function seperately? Im assuming so..

Another thought which occured to me would be to make the 2 infantry squads veteran squads as they count as 1 troop choice however this leaves little flexibility for the heavy weapons squads to join in.

Can Heavy Weapon squads only be taken as an "infantry platoon" choice full stop?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppkins View Post

In my Infantry Platoon.

Does this look right? I assumed that the command squad enclosed in the box would count as a company command squad but it appears not. If all of the above counts as 1 troop choice where do i get a HQ from?
    Yes that looks right. You'll have to get another command squad for your HQ, and another platoon to fill out your required slots. Alternatively, you can buy another box of 10 troopers and make them Veterans, thus getting your two troops choices taken care of, and another command squad for your company command squad.

My other question is can the 4 elements which make up this "Infantry Platoon" function seperately? Im assuming so..
    Yup. Or, you could blob them together and make a big 25 man squad.

Another thought which occured to me would be to make the 2 infantry squads veteran squads as they count as 1 troop choice however this leaves little flexibility for the heavy weapons squads to join in.
    True, but Veterans can be fierce if you mechanize them. Its kind of the new cool build.

Can Heavy Weapon squads only be taken as an "infantry platoon" choice full stop?
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you're asking if a HWS counts as one of the required 2 squads of a platoon. If that's the case, no. You have to have at least 2 "regular" squads before you can have an actual platoon.
    Formerly known as SimulatedSnowman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppkins
    My read on this is that i cannot current have a "Company Command Squad" as i need to have a "Platoon Command Squad" to lead my Infantry Platoon?
    That would be correct, but as you wrote later in the post, you could use the infantry squads as veterans, and the command squad as the company command.

So.. from the above troops i could have

In my Infantry Platoon.
    correct

You can buy the Cadian Command Squad from Games Workshop
    Cadian Command Squad

or the Catachan Command Squad if you're so inclined:
    Catachan command squad

You can also put a single heavy weapon in each of your infantry squads and command squads
    Last edited by me_meza; July 28th, 2009 at 14:16. Reason: Damn, beaten to it :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very helpful, thanks guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternately, so you can play right away with what you have:

HQ - Company Command Squad

Troops - Veteran Squad
    Troops - Veteran Squad

This will get you your base choices. To have enough guys total, stick the heavy weapons in each of the 3 squads. Mix in some special weapons, add your russ and sentinel and have some fun.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

As an alternative to shelling out the $$$ for another command squad boxed, you can also get together a platoon command by sneakier means. (Of course if you're just starting out you may want some duplicates of the toys that come in the command box. As much as I think it's overpriced, there is a lot of cool stuff in there.)

Step 1: get a chimera, because they're awesome and you'll probably want a lot of them in your army eventually.
    Step 2: observe chimera kit still comes with the awesome 'vehicle accessory sprue.' On this sprue is a model for the 'tank commander' who happens to look just splendid as a junior officer if you slap him on a base.
    Step 3: add your heavy weapons teams to your infantry squads, since heavy weapons squads suck in 5th edition anyway. This frees up the infantrymen that have been displaced by heavy weapons to become the rest of the members of your command squad.
    Step 4
    Step 5: profit!

If you got the existing Leman Russ Battle Tank kit and not the new Demolisher/Punisher kit, you should already have the accessory sprue with the officer model without even getting a chimera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great idea!!

+ Reply to Thread