Chimera Vets - Couple questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chimera Vets - Couple questions

Just a couple of quick questions related to the trendy new Vet squads in Chimeras.

1) Are most of you taking Shotguns for your 7 non-Melta/Flamer guys? If not, is it because you can't get a hold of enough shotguns or because you truly prefer Lasguns? I'm tempted to set all of mine up with Shotguns, and I'm wondering if that has proved out to be the way to go before I start gluing up all of my Forge World Renegade Kits and waste dollars getting it wrong.

Mostly, shotguns seem logical to me because I'll be moving in a Chimera constantly, so I still get the same 12" effect. However, if I do pop out or get blasted out I'd rather charge to get the +1 attack instead of waiting to get charged, since I'm going to die anyway.

2) How do you fire a flamer from within a Chimera? I guess the same question goes for a Rhino or even the flamer you can mount on the top of either of those vehicles. If you have to fire from the hatch and you cannot place a template over your own unit, how can you fire? There's no way to place the template coming directly from the hatch and not have it cross the vehicle itself.

Sorry if these are dumb questions. After playing 40K for 2 years I feel like I should know the answer to #2, but for some reason it has never come up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shotguns make sense for transported Veterans, the shotguns being assault gives them more synergy with flamers and meltaguns and you are unlikely to use the added range of a lasgun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Betrayer View Post
    1) Are most of you taking Shotguns for your 7 non-Melta/Flamer guys?
    Shotguns are hard to get cheap but I think I like the Lasguns because I might have some command running around that may be able to give the Vets the FRFSRF order.

Quote Originally Posted by Betrayer View Post

2) How do you fire a flamer from within a Chimera? I guess the same question goes for a Rhino or even the flamer you can mount on the top of either of those vehicles. If you have to fire from the hatch and you cannot place a template over your own unit, how can you fire? There's no way to place the template coming directly from the hatch and not have it cross the vehicle itself.
    The book says you measure from the fire point itself and you can't have the template touching friendly models. Not sure. Nothing in the FAQ either. Maybe someone else can help with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) I would use shotguns, but I don't have the models. Oh well, I do fine anyways.

2)I was just thinking about that for some reason... Well just do house rules if you want or say that it hits the front armor only due to "good aim"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

a cheap way to make shotguns is to cut of the flash supressor and the power cell of a lasgun. it looks bit different and with some other twists you wont even recognize it as a lasgun. plus its free!
    Never give up. Never give up. HIT, HIT, HIT, HIT!

Semper Paratus

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Leave the charging (if any) to the Rough Riders, Sentinels, and mobbed up platoons. A guard Vet squad that charges anything besides Tau or other guard is dead. So why would you want to let your opponent kill a unit during your turn when you can use that same squad to block with and force him to burn HIS turn dealing with them? Keep a CCS squad around and FRFSRF instead. It's how I've killed who knows how many Warbosses/Chaplains/Termies/Seer Councils.
    ----------
    Quote Originally Posted by greektlake View Post
    a cheap way to make shotguns is to cut of the flash supressor and the power cell of a lasgun. it looks bit different and with some other twists you wont even recognize it as a lasgun. plus its free!
    That works great for plastic Cadians. Not so well for us 2nd Ed metal guys.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

It all depends on the Special weapons rules.

At 12" range the only difference between a Rapid firing Lasgun and a shotgun is that you can assault after it. So if you've got a plasmagun you'd have to not shoot the plasma gun to assault. Which is silly.

Flamers and Metaguns being assault weapons shotguns fit in nicely with this. Now many people say you shouldn't assault but it's nice to have the option (It's better than being charged and shot at) A full Vet squad with a Powerfist in it can easily take down a mauled Eldar/Tau unit and even take down small MEQ units.

To get hold of some shotguns, If you've got any mates with Space Marine scouts ask them if they have any spares. If not you can convert a plastic lasgun pretty easily into a Shotgun with some brass pipe and a big of Green Stuff. If you really want some nice Shotgun weilding Veterans though look into the Necromunda Range.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; July 31st, 2009 at 09:18.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    208 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by lord borak View Post
    To get hold of some shotguns, If you've got any mates with Space Marine scouts ask them if they have any spares. If not you can convert a plastic lasgun pretty easily into a Shotgun with some brass pipe and a big of Green Stuff. If you really want some nice Shotgun weilding Veterans though look into the Necromunda Range.
    Another option is to cut the barrel (and maybe the stock) off your lasguns, glue a tiny bit of tubular plastic on the end, and you have las SMGs. After all, a shotgun is just an assault lasgun with shorter range, so there's no reason it has to actually be a shotgun, firing solid slugs. It could be a las version of an Uzi or something similar.

Personally though I'm just sticking with the lasguns. You might get a lucky FRFSRF in and who cares about assaulting with your vets anyway? I have rough riders for that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

I agree with most of the above. The situations in which I'd actually want to assault with Vets are slim compared to how often I might be able to benefit from FRFSRF. Kgoreham said it best, why let your Vets die on your turn? Force the opponent to charge you and minimize the number of rounds of assault they get. The only time this isn't true is when you have to try and protect another unit from being assaulted, but in a guard list few units are as tempting as an exposed veteran squad bristling with expensive and powerful special weapons and probably near an objective so that is rarely an issue.

So I'll stick with lasguns. Plus I find them fluffier and I use Praetorians for my Vets, so modifying them would be a pain (not that my friends and I really play WYSIWYG very often, but I like to when I can).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lord borak View Post
    It all depends on the Special weapons rules.

At 12" range the only difference between a Rapid firing Lasgun and a shotgun is that you can assault after it. So if you've got a plasmagun you'd have to not shoot the plasma gun to assault. Which is silly.
    Correct me if I am wrong but the whole squad shoots or none at all. So a squad mixed with assualt weapons, rapid fire weapons, and/or heavy weapon can't just say that the assualt weapons fire while the others do nothing so that the squad can assualt in the next phase.

Unless LOS is block and only certain models can shoot but of those models that do shoot, it is as stated earlier, all shoot or none at all.

If you want to assualt then any units with a heavy weapon and/or rapid fire weapon must completely forgo shooting at all to assualt. A unit with all assualt weapons my shoot and assualt in the next phase. I thought that was the ruling.

Again, please correct me if I am wrong as this would mean I am playing this all wrong.
    Where the heck did all them guardsmen come from?

Great Wolf! Is that the howl of the 13th?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast