Newbie question `bout Infiltrating IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

Newbie question `bout Infiltrating IG

Hi,

First of all thank You for all the help!

My situation is the following:
    I do love themed, fun-to-play armies and my "old, but never had" choice is a Guerilla themed army, basicaly everything Infiltrate (maybe except HQ as it can be kept behind the lines in cover - to order the army around).
    I checked all of the armies that I knew, and I found the only one that I knew can do that is a Scout themed Smurf army. But I am not sure if I want to go with them if I have any other choice. Kroot army is dropped due to their prize that required to fill a medium sized army. I also have some Schaeffer`s last chancers, catachans and a few Necromunda models that I can use finally if...

If is that possible to make a FULL 1500pts army that can realy operate as a Guerilla force (Che Guevara rules). How competitive is not an important thing as on a "bad" day I can go with CSM and be "cheesy".

So, by the new IG dex is that possible to make an infantry based Infiltrating/outflanking army? (From mixed models - cadian-catachan-valhallan etc) I would know that before I spend money on a dex that won`t help me out! Thank You!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i will give you some suggestions

Company command squad with creed ( greed gives one unit in his army scouts)
    ratlings (infiltrate)
    stormstroopers with special operation (have scout or infiltrate)
    veterans with harker (have infaltrate)
    platoon command squad with al rahem (al rahem and his platoon must outflank)
    2-5 infantry squads , 0-5 heavy weapon squads and some other stuff in the platoon of al rahem
    sentinels (have scout)
    and some veterans in valkyries (valkyries have scout)

with uprgrades you can come at 1500 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x1)

My old imperial guard army (pre the new codex), was much along the same lines as you have described, every man had camo and infiltrate, twas much fun indeed...

With the new rules I had issues deciding what exactly to do and I came upon this build:

3 Veteran squads, (1 with harker and thus infiltrate), all with camouflage and defensive grenades, and a command squad with camo cloaks, This acts as my stand point, deploying in cover and as close to objectives as possible.

An infantry platoon led by alrahem, using outflank to fall upon the flanks of the enemies and reinforce or counter attack as necessary.

This is actually fairly close to real world guerilla tactics, the bait and strike tactic deployed by (amongst others) the vietcong.

You could easily add in infiltrating stormtroopers, or perhaps valkyries or sentinels to cement the strategy (they both have scout and thus could either deploy or outflank as you desire).

Hope this helps.
    Inquistion force WIP. Pics on posts 17 and 23.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

The Imperial Guard approaches infiltration a little differently than other factions. We use infiltration to get ideal positioning for our weapons whereas most other armies use it to get into close combat more quickly. With the new edition, we really can't infiltrate our heavy weapons like we used to; meanwhile, we haven't become good enough at close combat to make getting close to the enemy a good idea.

Let me ask you this: Do you like our Sentinels? A list heavy on Sentinels, artillery and infiltrating Veterans is the best list I can think of that would play the way last edition's infiltrating armies did.

A Kroot army was too expensive? They would be my first suggestion for guerilla warfare and, dollarwise or pointwise, I can't see them being hard to manage. I recommend asking around on the Tau forum for list suggestions unless you're firmly set against them.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x2)

Thank all of You for the answers!
    I think I`ll take Veterans, Harker, Alrahem, snipers and sentinels.
    I would not take Valkyries as they are flyers therefore they do not fit in my imagination in a guerilla army as I think they are almost infantry. But I can imagine sentinels. maybe stormtroopers.
    But it seems I can make a personalized army that is a good point as I love to do conversations.

+ Reply to Thread