Is Extra Armour Worth The Pts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is Extra Armour Worth The Pts?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 21.82%
  • No

43 78.18%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Is Extra Armour Worth The Pts?

It something I've always taken but since the cost of it has gone up I've ditched it on my stationary vehicles as it was unnecessary, leaving it only on vehicles that move like demolisher and chimeras.

However I always get people saying ditch them which is something I don’t understand its hard to understand why people wouldn’t give the moving vehicles and certainly transports extra armour.

So I thought I’d ask and see what the general thought is on extra armour.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Well, I usually field 6-7 chimeras and 2 demolishers even at 1500 points. If I pay for the extra armor on all of them that'd come out to 120-135 points, IE around 10 percent of the army value.

For that price I can get two full chimeras plus more. I don't see the need in all mech to pay for it. In non-mech it'd be useful to make sure that your melta veterans/objective grabbers make it to the spots in one piece. Even then I'd only upgrade maybe two vehicles.

Overall, not worth the points.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

More Tanks > Better Tanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    321 (x8)

Again, 1 or 2, no more than. Its a very expensive upgrade but can be useful on the right vehicle.
    http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Guard tanks are either expensive because of their good weapons or are chimeras. With chimeras the armour is over 1/5th of their total points, with the other tanks you want them to fire, extra armour doesn't allow you to fire your oiwerful weapons and therefore isn't worth the points.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Hockyman and InquisitorAffe have it. Most tank upgrades are pretty much wasted points.

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

all i ever drop points for is the occasional stubber on a chimera or hellhound varient
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Extra armor only works 1/6 of the time (glance or pen) since stunning is so rare. I'd rather have more vehicles.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

I used to think it was a mandatory upgrade, but that is with different armies... in say Orks or SM that extra armor helps the primary purpose of the vehicle which is to deliver the cargo. For IG, they are rolling bunkers. If I get a stun, I just have the unit hop out and shoot that turn. In a 1750 list I have

-- 4 vet chimeltas
    -- 1 CC chimelta or las rolling bunker (yes I know it can't move and shoot, but the ability to command from an armor 12 bunker and shoot off BS4 Las is nice)
    -- 1 unit of 2 scout sentinels (Camo and autocannons)
    -- 1 Valkyrie with melta-vets
    -- 2 hellhounds
    -- 1 platoon, mortar team, 2 infantry units with las
    -- 1 unit of 2 griffons
    -- 1 LRBT
    -- 1 LR other varient (demo or punisher for the horde armies)

point being I like having so many useful things to spread out that my opponent does not know what to do. My son plays orks and he feels outnumbered! If I were to outfit the vehicles with extra armor, I would easily have to lose one of the above units
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

While I usually believe a stationary tank is a dead tank, I prefer to use squadroning instead of extra armor. It saves points and Kill Points with almost no drawback...just losing an immobilized vehicle a little more quickly than you normally would.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast