Deep striking the whole damn corps - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member QuestionableContent's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deep striking the whole damn corps

So my friend, in his usual "I am amazing at this game" fervor, has decided to finally play his Imperial Guard army. His problem is that he tends to be wrong about rules a lot of the time, and the fact that I don't play guard really doesn't help me.

However in his fervor he told me his list. I'm not entirely sure about upgrades though I am sure about 1 thing.
    He intends to deepstrike/infiltrate all his infantry. I'm not screaming beardy over this, i'm just wondering if it's, ya know, possible.

Oh, and he's fond of sending his kazarkins on suicidal meltabomb deepstrikes.

HQ:
    1 Command Platoon consisting of a heavy weapons platoon and command squad

Elites:
    40 Kazarkins with meltabombs.
    Not too sure about the squad sizes for these

Troops:
    120 Joe Guardsmen.
    (I believe he's got them in squads of 10 )

Heavy Support
    2 Lemans
    2 Basilisks
    1 Baneblade (don't know if he can field this without us agreeing)

Last edited by QuestionableContent; August 6th, 2009 at 20:05.
    "If smart missile systems were so smart, wouldn't they be reconsidering their position in life?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Eh, in 4th Edition you could Grav Chute (Deep Strike) basically an entire list of infantry, but I don't think that is possible in 5th Edition due to the lack of doctrines.

Lia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Only Ratlings, Storm troopers, Marbo, Sergeant Harker's Catachan Devils Veterans & Valkyries/Vendettas have Deepstrikes and/or infiltrate.

However Al'Rahem's Platoon, Scout Sentinels and anyone unit designated by Creed's Tactical Genius have the capacity to outflank which fluffwise can represent "slightly off target" paradrops.

But indeed, all deepstrikes armies are a part of 4th ed, in 5th ed you can simulate that up to a point, but it's not quite the same. Also Kasrkin are Stormtroopers Equivalent who come in 5-10 squads, 40 wouldn't be legal in a normal FOC Game. Indeed he would need your permissions to field a Super Heavy tank.

Note : Stormtroopers can't get Melta Bombs anymore.

Junior Member QuestionableContent's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lia View Post

But indeed, all deepstrikes armies are a part of 4th ed, in 5th ed you can simulate that up to a point, but it's not quite the same. Also Kasrkin are Stormtroopers Equivalent who come in 5-10 squads, 40 wouldn't be legal in a normal FOC Game. Indeed he would need your permissions to field a Super Heavy tank.

Note : Stormtroopers can't get Melta Bombs anymore.
    Yeah, I didn't know the size of the squads for the Stormtroopers, but I knew the total.

And they can't get meltabombs? My tanks are breathing a sigh of relief.

Also, I told him to check out the new codex. It's a pity that they removed the deepstriking, since he wanted the whole "paratrooper" idea.

Thanks for the help guys.
    "If smart missile systems were so smart, wouldn't they be reconsidering their position in life?"

Lia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

They can get Melta guns tho ;P and they get marines killing guns as standard ;P.

He could do the paratrooper idea fairly easilly, but he would need Valkyries/Vendettas.

But yes, he should check the new codex, lots of new shiny toys.

Don't feel to relieve yet, Deep striking Vendettas have 3 Twinlinked Lascannons each.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

All-infiltration is possible if the troop choices are Veterans or Penal Legionnaires. That doesn't make it advisable, of course, and all-deepstrike is no longer possible. And, yes, your opponent needs your permission to field a Baneblade in a non-Apocalypse game. Conversely, the meltabomb charge is still very doable with the Veterans' demolitions option.

Space Marines are the 'paratrooper' army these days, and fluffwise that's the way things should be...Guard are the anvil, not the hammer. (Not counting artillery, of course.)
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Lia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Only Harker's Vets Infiltrate the rest aren't even scouts. Penal Legionnaires are scout, true, but that only allow scout move/outflank, not quite infiltrate/deepstrike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

if he is using the 4th edition codex, then his heavy support choices are illegal, he has 4 tanks for 3 slots. in the 5th edition codex you can have 3 tanks per heavy support slot but in 4th edition you may only have 1 tank per slot. If you are looking to play fair games i would not let him use the baneblade, it throws of the game balance.

his list is very illegal as he also has too many stormtroopers, he is currently using 4 elite slots with 4 squads of 10 stormtroopers.

I would not play with this person untill they play with a LEGAL list, its just not fair to you. If this is a close friend, ask to borrow their codex so you can read over it and figure out whats legal and what's not, you could also make lists with him to inusre he follows all FOC rules etc.
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

1 he is using the old codex with our docterines back in 4th edition(we will surely miss you!!!!)

2 baneblade requires opponents consent to use

3 he has too many heavy supports for even the 4th edition codex

4 we have never been able to use that many kasrkin in one unit, unless he is using the grenadier docterine which was in 4th edition

5 that is definitely the old ig codex because it has a heavy weapon support squad in the hq choice

6 bring your friend to a local hobby store, show him the new ig codex, watch him drool for about 20 minutes, and then make him buy it!

7 have fun!
    Hellhounds are good tanks

Satan - "**** you Kage! And **** you Jables! I'll get you Tenacious DDDDdddddddeeeeee!!!!!!"

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Not to mention his troops choices are illegal. Unless he has some 5-man Platoon Command Squads, he cannot field Infantry Squads (10 men each). He could field a 10-man Veteran Squad, but only up to six of these.

Baneblades can only be fielded with your permission or in Apocalypse (3000 point) games.

There is no 'Command Platoon' anymore.

Sounds a lot like he's using a mixture of the Old Codex and the 'I can do what I want' Codex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast