Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey, I need help with my army, I'll probably be playing Imperial Guard with it.
Any advice or suggestions?
Thanks in advance
1 Captain, 1 Apothecary, 1 Company champion, 3 Veterans w/2 flamers, 1 plasma gun 240pts
1x 5 man Scout squad w/2 snipers, 1 shotgun 75pts
1x 10 man Tactical squad w/1 PC, 1 power fist 200pts
1x 10 man Tactical squad w/ 1 ML, 1 melta-gun 175pts
1x 5 man Terminator squad 200pts
1x Dreadnought w/twin linked lascannon 135pts
1x 5 man Veteran vanguard 175pts
1x 5 man Assault squad w/plasma pistol 115pts
1x 3 man Bike squad w/1 attack bike w/multi-melta 140pts
1x Rhino w/storm bolter 45pts
Playing against the IG, I have 2 main objectives.
1) get to their lines as fast as possible
2) eliminate their high armor threat.
For you list, I'm not sure how configurable it is or if you have other models, to swap out with.
First, you should really consider flamers, any where you can get them.
Then, I'd drop the terminators, unless you are using them for tank hunting, but without transport they will most likely never catch a tank. Your dreadnought while great in theory, will most likely die prior to inflicting any significant damage. Veteran Vanguard another too expensive unit, and the extra attacks aren't needed.
1) Sniper squad, upgrade 1 to Telion. His long range assassin ability, can really hinder the Orders being pumped out by the IG commanders
2) Lower the cost of your Dread, and make him 2x as effective. Put him in a drop pod, with a M.Melta, DCCW w/ hvy flamer. Drop this pod first turn right on side or rear armor to one of his tanks. The Pods rules will have it land safely, and you'll be in <50% range for your M.Melta = Dead Tank.
3) If you have a strong desire to keep the terminators in, then also equip the previous mentioned drop pod with a locator beacon. Keep the Termies in reserve and deep strike them near the pod. This will usually put them in close proximity to really cause damage to IG. Also, consider adding a locator beacon to the scouts. Just incase the Pod gets wasted, your Termies can still hav ea safe spot to land.
4) Count your Veteran Vanguard as regular Assault Marines. There's no need to spend those extra points. Keep your assault squads at 5 members. Going more than that, wipes squads, and gets your guys shot up, on the following turn. Flamers in your assault squad will wreak havoc on IG squads that are close together, while still allowing you to assault the initial target.
Last edited by Xpyre35; August 6th, 2009 at 18:06.
A few more points from me,
I'd give all my scouts sniper rifles and take a missile launcher for the squad as well.
In tactical squads missile launchers and flamers work fine against guard
If you give your dreadnought the laser I 'd also give him the missile launcher as you will stand back and shoot, anyway xpyres advise will probably get you the most out of your dreader.
The bike squad should carry two meltas in additon to the trikes multimelter to give it as much antitank power as possible. If you run out of tanks to shoot you ll stille have your twin linked bolters....
well I dont think you should have any anti tank at all.. and you should bunch all of your troops up into pie plate formations and stay still ! haha that might be because im playing you however so dont take my advice too seriously your going down fool !
Last edited by General Walker; August 7th, 2009 at 08:06. Reason: more to add
Check out my DJ Skills http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efikEVW_i_I
Thanks for the advice!
i think that if ur gonna have 2 flamers in the command squad, u might as well go all out on 3 + u need extra armour on the rhino