Some points problems with DH - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Some points problems with DH

So, going over the codex again, it seems a lot of the things I was under the impression would be really good and fun to use are actually almost completely useless.

PAGK with Psycannons - now, considering it replaces all their weapons, it seems like this extremely expensive "upgrade" actually takes away a large portion of why the GK's are so expensive in the first place. Initially, I think pointwise GK's aren't bad considering the NFW, True Grit SB's, and all their associated special rules; but taking the psycannon instead takes this away! Giving a PAGK a Psycannon you're effectively turning him into a regular SM with a +1S Heavy bolter that can be fired on the move; all this for only 50pts!

Purgation Squads - More or less what I was saying before except even more pointless since it's more expensive and generally speaking you'd want to take SW on all of them (that's the point isn't it?)

I guess I just don't understand the point sink. Is there something I'm missing that's actually making these things worth their points?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

The army is just outdated and needs a points adjustment. It was written for 3rd Edition, where things were priced differently, and so the difference wasn't as bad as it looks in 5th.

I especially love the little caveat in the rulebook that states something along the lines of "Daemonhunters cost more to help balance the significant advantage they have over Daemonic armies." So even back then they knew that the stuff was overpriced and it was done intentionally.
    Currently Playing:
    Fantasy: Daemons (Angels), 40k: Black Templars

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Put a pair of psycannons on a 5-6 model PAGK unit and park it, in cover, on your home objective. (You did deploy at least one objective deep into your own deployment zone, didn't you?) Now chuckle while your opponent finds it impossible to see those guys, and if he does see them, actually blow them off the objective.

And unless he's able to mount a dedicated assault onto that unit -- which you aren't going to allow him to do, right? -- is he really going to want to assault a GK unit? Even one "weakened" by a couple of psycannon-toting dudes?

Such "mini-purgation" squads are brilliant.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

What number6 said; at 200pts they are a bit expensive to be running willy-nilly, but The Shrouding will keep them safe from most everything and if they're in cover then not much will want to assault them. Even with the Psycannons they're wounding 99% of stuff on a 2+ with 7 of their 9 attacks; and three of those are power weapon hits.

The big thing to remember about all 3rd Ed and earlier books is that they're balanced around a game where ALL non-vehicle units were "scoring"; stuff like Gun Servitors and Purgation Squads made sense then, because a lack of mobility and Troops weren't a big problem. Well alright, Purgation Squads have NEVER made sense, but you know what I mean ;D Spending 300pts on a squad whose only real strength was the fact they could beat the heads off infantry and never flee was awesome back in the olden days, whereas now the need to take swift, cheap, reliable all-rounder units in large numbers means it's difficult to justify. The one thing that did work out well for the DH was the switch from Victory Points to Kill Points, but even that's not fantastic in the grand scheme of things.

meh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their great for helping your opponent win, that might get you some poitns for sportsmanship if you take it well.

+ Reply to Thread