tactical squads in rhino's, shooty or assaulty - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think tactical squads in rhino's are shooty or assaulty (against meq's)?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always

4 22.22%
  • no, never

5 27.78%
  • only if they have a power weapon or fist

9 50.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tactical squads in rhino's, shooty or assaulty

Do you think tactical squads in rhinos are primarily assaulty or does in depend on if the have a power fist or power weapon?

Last edited by A Cucumber; August 9th, 2009 at 22:06.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That poll made me laugh. You need to fix it before anyone can vote for obvious reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my god I can't believe I was so stupid!!!

it has been edited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactical squads arn't very assaulty IMO, if you want to have assault teams in them then a rhino loaded with vanguard veterans without jump packs would work well. Generally rhinos are useful for moving troops to areas they're needed (especially since in fifth ed. they no longer have to be dedicated to one unit), and the expensive land raider is a more assaulty vehicle.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggoth View Post
    Tactical squads arn't very assaulty IMO, if you want to have assault teams in them then a rhino loaded with vanguard veterans without jump packs would work well. Generally rhinos are useful for moving troops to areas they're needed (especially since in fifth ed. they no longer have to be dedicated to one unit), and the expensive land raider is a more assaulty vehicle.
    I think tactical squads are more shooty and are better remaining so, however, I put a powerfist in every one. As a result, every tactical squad I field is a threat to every unit on the table.
    Other than that, they aren't very assaulty, but they are better than most "plain troops" in the game.
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They will lose in close combat to anything that has close combat in mind. They're good at shooting and decent in close combat.

Lord Cupcake of Senteria Grey2321's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

I always give my Sargeants powerfists as back-up incase anything nasty comes along and assaults the squad (Or they assault a vehicle). Other than that I try and avoid CC with my tacticals because, as has been said before, they're good at shooting and only decent in assault (And murdered by dedicated CC units).

If my tacticals leave my rhinos it's so they can rapid-fire the daylights out of a unit.
    Space Marines: W15/L7/D3
    Imperial Guard: W6/L4/D0
    Daemonhunters: W4/L1/D1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by 4theEmperor! View Post
    I think tactical squads are more shooty and are better remaining so, however, I put a powerfist in every one. As a result, every tactical squad I field is a threat to every unit on the table.
    Other than that, they aren't very assaulty, but they are better than most "plain troops" in the game.
    This is more or less my thinking also.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps its just me, but I still don't understand the poll. It boils down to this:

Do you like apples or bananas?
    -yes
    -no
    -only with a good sauce.
    "The ones with lingon och skit" - Andusciassus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

I played Chaos space marine for a good 5 years before switching to the loyalist scum... errr i mean; Before joining the rank of the Emperor's finest ... scum. And i never gotten out the "assaulty" out of my system. A few weeks ago i tested what i thought would be a very assault based list: A few tactical squads, some jump packs, terminators and a dreadnought rushing forward, add some power weapons/firsts ,meltas and flamers for good measure. Well it turns out that the base attack per marine really hurts the close combat result. And as a side note, i think I've over estimated the lethality of gating librarians ,flamers and meltas (Though the weak melta result is due to bad rolls).

Anyway i'm still mind set on going "Assaulty" but I'm making some changes to the list:

-First: Drop the librarian and add Kantor,

I hope that kantors aura will compensate, somewhat, for the relatively weak close combat marine have. I'll probably join him to a podding tactical squad, the idea is to boost melee effectivenest where its needed.

-Second: More scouts, both bikers and regular ones

If the need to assault is present, ill do so early on in game, first turn: With kantor dropping near the bikers (Thanks locator beacon) they will assault with 3 attacks each, 4 for the sergeant. The shot gun they carry and the near by tactical will provide some rapid fire support to compensate for the Ws3 of scouts. A land speeder storm with a close combat ready scout squad inside will do much the same, charging at 4 attacks each , 5 for the sergeant (plus pistol shot) with kantor around.

Subsequent turns will have tactical and Sternguards charging in at 3 and 4 attacks each respectively. Or alternatively , they will again provide cover fire. That's what I'm aiming for, will it work ? I'll try it out for sure, but as I've seen before: Sometime it looks good on paper... and it ends there.

I guess tactical are better used as backup assault, if they're going to assault at all. But if you're really into assaulting with marines (Go black Templar or Space pups... Or Blood angels) For vanilla marines, i think kantor is the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratus View Post
    Perhaps its just me, but I still don't understand the poll. It boils down to this:

Do you like apples or bananas?
    -yes
    -no
    -only with a good sauce.
    That's just silly , Apples would kick bananas butt , i don't care what kind of sauce you use!
    Last edited by seismic; August 11th, 2009 at 01:04.
    "The things that appear are a vision of the unseen"
    -Anaxagoras of Clazomenae

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast