Devestator Advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Devestator Advice

So I have a box of unbuilt devestators and I have no clue how to build them.

My initial thought was two lascannons and two heavy bolters, as I have an old hybrid of each of these weapon options and so can switch for 3 heavy bolters or 3 lascannons.

Is this what I should do? How did you guys build your devestators and why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggoth View Post
    So I have a box of unbuilt devestators and I have no clue how to build them.

My initial thought was two lascannons and two heavy bolters, as I have an old hybrid of each of these weapon options and so can switch for 3 heavy bolters or 3 lascannons.

Is this what I should do? How did you guys build your devestators and why?
    My advice is just to try and get an combat squd set, or ignore that if you have a few other unbuilt space marines, so you can go and build every heavy weapon in the box. This way you can get two devastator squads out of the box one with 2 heavy bolters 2 plasma cannons and the other with a missile launcher multi melta and 2 lascannons. If you cant get a old of extra marines my advice would be a 2 plasma cannon 2 heavy bolter build, as points wise I find this build is the best you can get straight from the box.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hadn't even thought of the combat team, I'll grab one next time I go to GW, thanks mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggoth View Post
    I'd avoid two lascannon, two heavy bolter unless you plan to combat squad them. The mix in weapon strengths can be a waste or overkill depending on what you fire them against. Mr. Biscuits suggestion of two plasmacannon, two heavy bolter is a good one as it's useful against light armor and can kill a lot of troops.

In my opinion I think the four missile laucher or four plasmacannon builds are pretty good.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirality View Post
    I'd avoid two lascannon, two heavy bolter unless you plan to combat squad them. The mix in weapon strengths can be a waste or overkill depending on what you fire them against. Mr. Biscuits suggestion of two plasmacannon, two heavy bolter is a good one as it's useful against light armor and can kill a lot of troops.

In my opinion I think the four missile laucher or four plasmacannon builds are pretty good.
    Ive tried the four missile launcher build, and a 3 plasma cannon heavy bolter build personally I find the plasma cannons simply too useful not to include where the missile launchers are kind of iffy and in my experience can only be effective against light veichles or massed cheap infantry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use a las cannon, a plasma cannon and 2 heavy bolters, the las lets me take out the tanks and stuff or wound carnifexs, the plasma is good for hordes or tanks and the heavy bolters is great for the hordes, i also give all other squads of all choices a missle launcher if they can take it
    "I think, therefore I am"

Rene Descartes

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Either 4 plasma cannon (if not combat squadded) or 2 plasma cannon and 2 missile launchers (if they are).
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Devastator squads are very expensive with anything other than missile launchers or heavy bolters. Build all the heavy weapon options using a combat squad box as already suggested, but mostly so you have all the options for your tactical squads. You can then make a missile launcher devastator squad with the heavy from your tactical boxes, putting lascannons or plasma cannons for far less points into your tacticals.

Devastator squads have got to be manned up with ordinary marines to take the hits, sparing your expensive heavy weapon men an early bath.

Use krak missiles against light to medium vehicles, while frag missiles will cut deep into hoard armies.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

I PMed this idea to Shaggoth earlier, but I might as well repeat it here, as it is prett useful advice.

As long as you don't mind devastators with running legs, disregard my earlier post regarding using a combat squad to mount the extra heavy weapons, as here in the great nation of Canada for a mere $1.75 over the combat squad box you can get assault marines, devastators come with arms and backpacks for every heavy weapons, so as an addition to your bitz box instead of the couple backpacks and bolters from the combat squad frame, you can get two plasma pistols five bolt pistols five chainswords a combat shield a power fist I believe but am not sure a thunder hammer, and most importantly five jump packs!

+ Reply to Thread