Power Weapons or Fists for Black Templars? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Power Fist or Power Weapon in BT Squads?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Power Fist

8 53.33%
  • Power Weapon

7 46.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power Weapons or Fists for Black Templars?

Since 5th edition ended the ability to gain extra attacks with Power Fists, and Black Templar crusader squads and assault squads can't contain veterans, would you equip the "privileged" initiate in those squads with a Power Fist or Power Weapon?

I initially equipped my crusader and assault squads with power fists, but have yet to have them run up against opponents where a S8 is absolutely necessary. More often than not, they're getting stuck in melee over several turns, where the additional AP1 attack could really come in handy. My fire support crusader squads and dreadnoughts get assigned most of the hard targets (not that they always get the job done...).

Last edited by Shashi; August 12th, 2009 at 18:28. Reason: Clarify Question Background

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x3)

I still either put powerfist on the squad to add some CC-punch or drop PFF/PW to have it just shooty (and less expensive).

Yes the power fist is less good than in 4. ed (more expensive and less attacks), but it's still more handy in my opionon than the PW, since it's a threat against anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Only go for a Power Weapon when points are scarce, else take the fist every time. That one extra attack is not as important as you think, and instant-death to T4< models really is a bonus =)

CR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually run two close combat armed squads in my usual 1500 pt. list.

One squad gets a power fist and a flamer.
    The other squad gets a power sword and a melta gun.

That way both squads have at least one thing to deal with a vehicle that comes its way, just in case.

I have found the power fist is really helpful though the one less attack hurts a bit. I can't count the number of times my guys have gotten ambushed by chaos termies, a vehicle or MC heading their way or some other nasty thing where a powerfist was absolutly needed to break something hard that was going to either keep my squad tied up in a combat they could not win and were going to be whittled down.

I still like throwing a power weapon in my other squad though because I have a model armed that way and by gosh I'm going to use him. A power weapon always has its uses as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyfus View Post
    Yes the power fist is less good than in 4. ed (more expensive and less attacks), but it's still more handy in my opionon than the PW, since it's a threat against anything.

Templar's codex is 4ed. PF is only 5 points more than a PW.

PF>PW. If you get assaulted by an MC or Dread then a PF is the only thing keeping that squad in the game. Against an MEQ your PW will take on average 0.75 wounds (2 attacks) whereas your PF will take 0.625 (1 attack) so it's not as if the PW has some great advantage in killyness (heck, when you're assaulting the PF is better). With I4 there isnt a whole lot you can prevent hitting you by killing first anyway so I1 in one model isnt much of a loss, it being unlikely that he'll be killed before he strikes. PF is definitely worth the extra 5 points imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by B.Templar View Post
    Templar's codex is 4ed. PF is only 5 points more than a PW.
    My bad. I forgot he was talking about BT. I was talking about SM generelly. But then for the BT it would be even more clear in my opinion that PF is the obvious choice. For 5 points more it's a bargain.

Last edited by Tyfus; August 13th, 2009 at 22:53.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

Sure, you lose one attack when you have a PF, but if you're unfortunate enough to get assaulted by a MC you'll just be locked in combat and get yourself whittled down. That's not fun.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Agree with everyone else, power fist every time. But i was surprised to see the results after i voted. Am i missing something about power weapons ?
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by praxis View Post
    Am i missing something about power weapons ?
    Nah i don't think so. Maybe the PW-voters should pop in with some arguments. Generally the gap between PW and PF smaller for me, with the PF points cost increase (not the BT) and the less attack. But i still prefere the PF if i want some CC-punch. The PW just seems something medium. If you don't have the points for a PF, i don't see that PW is a good investment. I would then prefere to use the points elsewhere.

leeds yorkshire england am not a yorkie though
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lightening claws are much better than power weapons and cost the same fists are handier though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast