Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Which makes for a better army build. I''ve narrowed it down to building my army aroud one of them. I'd like to have my lists balabced with an emphasis on taking out orks.
I like pedro with two tacticle squads and 2 Sternguard
And I like Marneus with an honour Guard and a fearless army. Which one is better in the game? And fun for everyone involved. Thanks.
Armies: Ultramarines 2nd Co.
(coming soon) Wood Elves for my final army.
When I choose an HQ I take into account a couple of things.
1. Are their stats worth the points?
2. Are their special abilities for units worth the points?
3. Are their special abilities for the army worth the points?
4. Do they fit into reasonably sized armies?
5. What could I get for equal cost if I chose other units?
Pedro beats Calgar in basically all of these criteria.
Sure it's great to have the awesome stats of Calgar, but is it worth 250 points? Maybe, but imo, probably not.
1. No, in my opinion.
2. Not really, he doesn't give them any major boosts like furious charge or inspiring presence.
3. Allowing armies to choose to make or fail saves when their LD is already high is only marginally useful.
4. Not really. Sure he's a juggernaut in lower pts, but you are sacrificing so much to get a guy w/ 4 toughness. Good save or no, he can be brought low with lots o' guns, and in lower pts that means a large chunk of your army goes bye-bye.
5. A mother f-ing Land Raider. If I have Terminators and have to choose between Calgar and a LR, its the LR every time.
1. Yeah, pretty much. 50 pt difference for a powerfist and a great storm bolter.
2. He's like a super Chapter Banner. That's 40+ pts of worth right there, provided you have more than 1 units in the vicinity. Otherwise its just 25 pts of worth. Still pretty solid tho.
3. Makes Sternguard scoring, which, in shooty armies is like the Holy Grail. Adds Stubborn too, which is another morale dealy, not as awesome as Calgar's but considering they're high LD anyway, its still good.
4. Yeah, he does. A little pricy for low pts, but not too bad either. Plus, you get what you pay for.
5. A tactical squad. You could also buy a lot, but he's not too pricy and you won't be wishing for his points back in most armies.
Overall, I feel Pedro is a much better buy overall. If you're willing to spend 250 pts on an HQ, take Kantor and save 75 points for something else.
Yep. Calgar is a beast on his own, but not invincible. What I don't like about him is that he is only a great fighter, nothing more. The bombardment would be the only thing I care about, but I can get that much much cheaper.
Overall I like Pedro (with Sternguards, else he is not _that_ great imo), Shrike (with melee heavy army), He'Stan (with Flamer/Meltas ... most probably Witchhunters) and Tigurius (for some fun/excitement) more.
Sicarius could be good with (very) drop-pod heavy lists. The other HQs are not that great overall (for me), captain/chaplain/... is maybe worth it in low-points games where we can't afford mega-HQs
I think Pedro is the better value. Dogofwar1 summed it up nicely.
"Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
-This space for rent-
Salamander project log
I voted for Pdro, Marneus can be the most effective HQ choice in the entire game in appocalypse, but that said for a normal sized games Calgar's points costis too much to be justified by a pair of poer fists and some leadership bonuses.
Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!
I don't see how Marneus would be more effective in larger points games. Especially in Apocalypse, HQs that bring good traits for the whole army are much more effective. I'd still take Pedro, Shrike, He'Stan, ...
i chose kantor since yes, calgar is awsome and gives u the coice to choose to pass or fail LD checks but i'd prefer the possibility of 9 scoring units with 2/3 attacks
Pedro all the way.
Why? DogofWar1 summed it up quite perfectly.
Marneus doesn't really do much for me except for being really hard to kill. He sure has his place on special occassions, but for all the other (i.e. at least 95% of all) battles Pedro gives you so much more.
Most important to me are scoring Sternguard. Scoring units just are so very important and Sternguard are probably the very best of them in the whole game. They can take on almost anything. C'tan or Hive Tyrant? No problem. Traitors in power-armour? No problem. Snipers in cover? No problem. Target out of Bolter range? No problem...
I regard everything else as extras - very convincing extras, that is.
1. A more than amazing Storm Bolter. Go on and compare it to a Heavy Bolter: it's a little shorter-ranged, true, but still shoots far enough AND is completely mobile! And thanks to Pedro's BS the Storm Bolter makes more kills on anything that is T5 or lower. (I'll gladly do the math for you if you don't believe it.) Really, man, this is evil.
2. Orbital bombardment. Very dependent on the dice, but you don't decline when you get it for free. It can definitely win games if you call it in at the right moment. (Be patient for that moment, though mostly it may be best to get rid of it right on turn one.)
3. Chapter Banner-like close combat boost. Alright! This can really make a BIG difference.
4. Stubborn. Yeah, well. But it's free, so why not? Can't hurt not needing to worry about morale checks.
Pedro is a chump really. A powerfist on a model with no eternal warrior? I'll pass thanks. He makes Sternguard scoring, which is awesome, but then proceeds to give the shooty unit stubborn and +1 attack. Great, so the shooty unit will never run from combat and get slowly ground down while dishing out the S4 attacks (yay?). His rules are very contradictory.
Calgar, on the other hand, is a beat stick, has Eternal Warrior, and lets you automatically pass or fail any Ld tests. That's HUGE. You have complete control over your army with this. And, for funsies, he's got an AP2 gun. It's a shame Honor Guard suck so hard.
Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com