Centaur as tankette? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think than Centaur will work as tankette? {read below}

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 22.22%
  • No

7 77.78%
+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Centaur as tankette?

Hi, I wanna share with you my weird idea with is bothering me lately; thought I'm still worried its no new idea at all... I really don't know how many of you are having Centaurs in your armies, or not using them at all. Some may probably even seek them as the worst idea to spent points ever, with their transport cappicty of 5 men, abbility to tow one lighter gun, and armed only with heavy stubber. But how about use Centaurs in role of mobile fire-station, some sort of tankette? I mean, if we could mount ant-tank support squad with lascannon on it, I think we would receive good tank-hunter; thanks to rule, than Centaur can mount one heavy weapon carried by him in hull. This would provide support suqad atleast a little armour bonus, and fast way to move around. Also, because Centaur is counted as fast vehicle, it can fire such heavy weapon while moving with Cruising speed; its would be usefull if we wuld like to get fast behind the enemy, to hit his rear armor. Well, so what do you think? Its pure theory, because I never played Warhammer, and I don't have my own IG army - I'm just reading a lot about it and dreaming to play someday... But anyway, do you think than this idea would work in practice, or atleast its would work at all? Thank you for your attention.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AV11, open-topped, slightly cheaper than Chimera and armed with heavy stubber ? You'll do better with chimera - it's not the best way of using it, but certainly better than spending points on a cardboard box armed with peashooter.
    Last edited by Shas'saal N'dras; August 16th, 2009 at 15:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

For only 10 points more we can get a Chimera, that have 2 HW and better protection. The problem is the cost, if the Centaur cost 10 points less maybe can have some use, but not at the current price.
    "The only valid test is combat; the only valid result is victory"
    Ardak Kumerian, Klingon Admiral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm sure than its better choice to buy Chimera, but such vehicle also have advantages. For example it can hide a lot easier from enemy's line of sight, and instead of Chimera, it can transport other heavy weapons and also use them.
    "Polish Soldier fights for the freedom of other nations, but dies only for Poland"
    Gen. Stanislaw Maczek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okey, I'll summarize this:

Centaur PROS & CONS:

PROS:

+ It's small, it can hide easily
    + It's a Fast vehicle
    + Squad embarked on it can shoot it's one heavy/special weapon as a part of vehicle weaponry
    + Open-topped
    + It can tow guns

CONS:

- AV:11
    - Open-topped
    - Costs nearly as much as chimera
    - It's so small it can transport only five models
    - It's armed with heavy stubber

I'll kill the idea outright now: Centaur doesn't have toughness required to act as a weapon platform. It can hide easily - true, but if you hide it from enemy LoS there is a chance you'll also block it's own LoS (and you want it to act as a pillbox). It's small size also limits it's use in that regard, most of IG squads numbers at least 10 models - including grenadiers/veterans, only CCS or PCS are small enough to fit in, but with their choice of weaponry and equipment, they probably do more good if they stay inside some heavier armor or better yet: Valkiria/Vendetta. Naturally we do have stormtroopers which can be given a honour of riding that steel coffin - i'll bet they would probably take their chance droping on enemies heads rather than meeting them head on in a cardboard box-o-death. Of course it's not an argument so: either you'll arm them with plasmaguns or meltaguns. First one is some kind of choice for a stationary vehicle, if you don't mind rather medium range and a slim chance of cooking you're own men. Second one is better choice for a deep striking, suicidal squad which can drop precisly on their target, melt it to slag and then heroicly die under enemy fire - I doubt that enemy will miss an opportunity of shooting them into the oblivion. If you mount them in Centaur, then you'll give him even more reasons to destroy it as soon as it presents itself - from that point they'll have to march to target. Or rather to their graves - even plague marines would feel uncomfortable if left in the open and they are far much tougher than poor stomies.

Back to the Chimera now: it's bulky, massive silhouette won't win the beauty contest, but who cares about that when you can have multilaser or heavy flamer or even both of those on board ? In addition, up to six models can fire any of their weapons from inside of chimera via fire points at a target different from that chosen by the tank itself if necessery. Heck, you could even place it hull-down behind a hill and still shoot from multilaser. Compare this to heavy stubber and one special/heavy weapon. It's like spitting obscenities vs. baseball bat match - blunt trauma to the head solves almost any problem. And fast.

Centaur, at least in my opinion, is not the best choice when you have a Chimera on the other side of the fence. Also, IMHO, using any of above as a pillbox is rather bad idea (we've got Russes for crying out loud) - one proper Lascannon hit and say "goodbye" to shooting - while footsloggers won't even blink if something like that fry one of their buddies. But if you think that's a good idea and if it'll work for you then... do as you wish.

Peace

[edit]: I've just caugh that move and shoot concept... doh! My bad. Well, one word, just one word: Vendetta. And I would still use chimera over Centaur.
    Last edited by Shas'saal N'dras; August 17th, 2009 at 20:14.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

IMO the centaur can do one thing and one thing only; transport grey knights. Keep the GKs in reserve then when the enemy gets close move 12" disembark 2" move 6" shoot their weapons and charge 6". They could easily cover 26" like that making it past the middle line of the table.

As a weapon platform; the centaur fails I won't repeat all of the reasons why but N'dras summed them up nicely.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

+ Reply to Thread