Leman Russ Battle Tank - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CKO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Leman Russ Battle Tank

With the new codex we now have so many options to fill certain needs in our list, because of this it seems verasitility is not valued like it used to be. So the question is do you think the Leman Russ Battle Tank has loss value?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

The Russ is a good tank. Whats not good about an AV14 Tank with a str8 AP3 Ordinance Blast gun??? However there are just 'better' tanks available to us.

If you want to kill Marines and the like you've got the Executioner and the Demolisher who can crack open Terminators and the Demolsiher is possibly one of the best heavy tank killers we've got as well.
    If you want to kill light Infantry you've got the Eradicator.

The only thing going for the Basic Russ over those boys is the the price tag and the Range of the Battle Cannon. It can take down Devestators lurking in the back etc. But then it's competing with the Cheaper Artillary....

Units we've always seen as the bread and butter of Guard lists such as the Russ, the Basilisk etc. These guys are the Jack of all trades in an army that can afford to have multiple units dedicated to a single role. They're a Jack of all trades unit in an army that doesn't need one.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; August 19th, 2009 at 10:19.

Now w/ English voice-over LastDinosaur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

61 (x1)

Wait what? You ask if the best IG tank is worth it? Well, certainly yes!

Imho it's the best at least.. Always tries to get at least two into my lists..

Also it's one of the best options to fill the certain need of squishing MEQs from afar, which is mainly what I use it for.

Executioner while powerful is much too expensive for my taste and that single weapon destroyed result really ruins your day. Admitedly it's a pain for a standard russ aswell, but for the same price I'll at least have the sponsons left.
    Demolisher is nice aswell I admit, but I made a decision when I started my IG as to whether I'd take battletanks or demolishers and since I already had several vindicators for my marines I went with the battletanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by lord borak View Post
    The Russ is a good tank. Whats not good about an AV14 Tank with a str8 AP3 Ordinance Blast gun??? However there are just 'better' tanks available to us.

If you want to kill Marines and the like you've got the Executioner and the Demolisher who can crack open Terminators and the Demolsiher is possibly one of the best heavy tank killers we've got as well.
    If you want to kill light Infantry you've got the Eradicator.

The only thing going for the Basic Russ over those boys is the the price tag and the Range of the Battle Cannon. It can take down Devestators lurking in the back etc. But then it's competing with the Cheaper Artillary....

Units we've always seen as the bread and butter of Guard lists such as the Russ, the Basilisk etc. These guys are the Jack of all trades in an army that can afford to have multiple units dedicated to a single role. They're a Jack of all trades unit in an army that doesn't need one.
    Hah, saved ==Me== the trouble of posting, thanks.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

The standard Russ is not what it used to be in the last edition but I blame the proliferation of cover saves rather than the proliferation of variants. Time was the LRBT could cut a swath through any infantry unit short of a Terminator squad and still take down any medium tank, both at an impressive range. Now, it seems as though everybody and their ride has a four-up against the worst it can do.

Most of the variants don't impress me. It's hard to improve on a mobile pillbox with a battle cannon and I don't want to clog up heavy slots with specific-task units. Although, the Executioner does a good job of finishing units cut down to only one or two models.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

IMHO, the vanilla russ with plasma sponsons gives you the best bang for your buck. It costs as much as the executioner without any sponsons and still has the punch to threat any infantry unit. Executioners are too easily mitigated by a loose formation and them and the punishers are severely overpriced.

Demolishers are the only variant that can give it competition for the points, but the demolishers short range limits it somewhat forcing it to move and lose shots. The extra strength rarely matters as you really should be shooting it at infantry anyways and the extra AP only matters against certain units. The big advangtage is a back armor 11, but even then an enemy close enough for that to matter means you have other problems.
    Blais's Paint Studio-Getting broken armies good soft scores since 2009

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    Yar, ==He== and I have already argued this to death already in this other thread.

My standpoint is that the competitiveness of the Russ (or any unit) depends on the rest of the army. In my force I need the long range firepower it offers in order to hit the enemy's backfield, since I have the close-range firepower covered with the rest of my force. While ==His== army has the long range AT duty covered with Vendettas and Hydras, leaving no good role for a standard Russ. So he takes 2 Demolishers to my one.

It all comes down to what you need to do in conjunction with the rest of your force. There are really only 4 viable Russ variants anyhow. The Eradicator isn't useful if you already take Hellhounds. So most arguments are going to center on the LRBT, Demolisher, and Executioner. I usually stick with one each of the first two at 1500, as the Executioner is very expensive and therefore much more painful to lose to a lucky enemy shot, no matter how good it may be vs. Heavy Infantry. As the points go up, I would be much more likely to take 2 Demolishers as the long-range fire I use the Russ for could be provided by my Hydras and other units.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post

Well you know what they say........
    Great minds think alike.......and fools seldome differ

I do agree with Kgorham though.

CKO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Yes, the leman russ battle tank has lost value. However its not because it does less damage(infact because of new sponsoons it can do more damage) but because the codex has improve. Artillery can do the same thing as the battlecannon for less points and ignore cover saves because of barrage rules. The battlecannons major advantage is in the first turn when range matters most or against a shooty list, after that the other tanks are just as good or in most cases better.

Sure its better then some of the lame ducks like eradicator and punisher but against the good stuff like colossus, executioners, and demolishers its not as good. You may save some points but the decrease in output is obvious, but at 150 its a great buy.

"You only diversify when you dont know what you are doing."
    quote from someone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I think it has lost some value, with all the new tanks out there, but that doesn't change the fact that its still a beast, and i'll take it over any other tank any day.
    We who have seen war will never stop seeing it....In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast