Hammering the turbo-penetrator - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Now w/ English voice-over LastDinosaur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Hammering the turbo-penetrator

Soeh.. Fizzics cried out for interesting threads, eh?

Dunno if this is of interest to anyone, but I used my mathhammer on the Vindicare assassin just yesterday and I myself found the result quite interesting.. =)

What I hammered flat was the turbo-penetrator round, which according to the FAQ have an armor penetration of 3+3d6 (with rending!)

While this sounds nice I had no immidiate impression as to how nice it really is, so I started swinging. The results are as follows:

AP.....%-chance... 'Cumulated'.... WithTo-Hit
    6~9......9,26........... 100................ 83,33
    10........6,94............90,74............. 75,62
    11........8,33............83,80............. 69,83
    12........9,26............75,46............. 62,89
    13........9,72............66,20............. 55,17
    14........9,72............56,48............. 47,07
    15+....46,76............46,76............. 38,97

(sorry if it looks terrible, dunno if there's an easy way to make tables)

Anyway what this means is that the vindicare have about a 40% chance to penetrate a landraider, which is alot, really.. For weaker things such as say a valkyrie it's 55%, and remember that coversaves are reduced by one from the vindicares mask should it be moving flat-out.

Well whatever, hope someone will find this enlightening. I did myself, as I never really considered him able to take any vehicle out, other than maybe the occasional razorback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont see why so many people hate vidicares. there answer is he gets only 6 shots.
    well my counter is make them count!
    oh and now i think about it they would rule in apocalypse. especially for killing heroes in defense mission or in any mission (I HATE ABADDON). and you can take two or three for the price of marneus calgar and honor guard. four or five if you include the masters of the chapter. and four or five vidicares will take down any heroes. In fact they would rule for staying back and protecting from nasty deep strikes. oh and if you dont have any elites and you opponent like heroes or elites buy three!!

Oh and last dinosaur i thought it was 2d6 i didnt read it propely. that is cool. so by by rhinos.
    and even super hevys.

and did you say it was also rending.
    ----------
    owch only one special shot? oh well wnough to halt some rhinos or raiders kill some heroes and some termies
    I know you may find the Tyranids physically repellent to look at but believe me, you don't want to let them out of your sight.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateGork View Post
    i dont see why so many people hate vidicares. there answer is he gets only 6 shots.
    And only half of them will wound before cover/inv saves.
    So perhaps 2 wounds per game if he has LOS and isn't attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateGork View Post
    and did you say it was also rending.
    3d6+3 triple rending. But only AP2 so it's 50/50 on the damage rolls.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x3)

i used my computer wizardry pokery to mathhammer the rending in too, and it make a suprisingly small difference to the results

AP.... % with hit
    6-9.. 83.3
    10.... 75.6
    11.... 69.8
    12.... 62.9
    13.... 55.6
    14.... 48.6
    15+.. 41.7

so rending only gives it an extra 2.7% chance to penetrate a landraider, triple rending sounds amazing but actually just means that high AP rolls are now very high and the important ones just stay pretty much the same..

rending would be great on something like an exorcist though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

61 (x1)

Ehm.. I had already taken rending into account, so one of us made a minor mistake somewhere, but whatever ^^"

Rending means alot, even more than normally since you roll so many dice..

Edit: Or hmm, actually it mightn't.. Just thought about it and those times you do get rends you have generally rolled high enough already xP So yeah, it doesn't mean all that much
    Last edited by LastDinosaur; August 24th, 2009 at 23:51.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x3)

indeed makes very small difference, just realised why my results are a little off from yours, i added 3 on with rending not 2 as an average for a d3 roll, DOH!

still would rather have an eversor anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

61 (x1)

Yeah, I'll stick with Callidus and Eversor aswell for the majority of the games in which I even field an assassin..
    But I just like the concept of snipers, especially when they're as cool as the vindicare is, and I know that I'm not alone on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    And only half of them will wound before cover/inv saves.
    The cover saves thing isn't actually that big a deal, because he lowers all cover saves by 1 when he's shooting (i.e a 4+ save would become a 5+ one, etc). Useful if you're using him to pick out Heavy Weapon troopers hiding in the bushes or whatnot.

Then again if you're paying 100+pts for a model that can kill 6 Heavy Weapon blokes per game you are off your head. As far as the Turbo Penetrator goes, if the Rifle was AP1 it'd be a near-guaranteed damage result every game. As it stands the rifle isn't AP1 and as such you're just as likely to waste the Penetrator on Shaking something as you are to kill it.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fugger View Post
    Then again if you're paying 100+pts for a model that can kill 6 Heavy Weapon blokes per game you are off your head
    If he killed 6 guys of my choice each game i'd pay those points.

But he doesn't come close to that, even on a good day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    If he killed 6 guys of my choice each game i'd pay those points.

But he doesn't come close to that, even on a good day.
    Even assuming he did, would it be worth it? Admittedly it is pretty cool being able to shoot powerfist sergeants and the suchlike to death while they're locked in CC, but against armies whose main threat comes from sources other than Tactical Squad heavy weapons I just don't see how it'd be useful. Wow, you killed the Concealement Warlock. Well done. Now here is 5 Wave Serpents full of shit and the rest of the Biker Council to deal with.

+ Reply to Thread