Might collect SMs, asking some questions. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Might collect SMs, asking some questions.

Good evening,

It's been awhile since I played SMs, and wanted to ask some questions.

1. Are there any choice I should avoid?

2. Is it still viable to make your own force without much difficulty?

3. What would be your suggestions for a starting 1000pt force?

4. Who should be my HQs?

I'm open to any type of playstyle, so that won't be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the truth is since you don't have any idea on how you want to go about it it's gonna be harder, if you had a playstyle you were comfortable with it would be somewhat easier.

Either way for troops you can either take scouts or tactical marines. Marines are heavier armored and more survivable as well as shooting better. Scouts are more lightly armored but can be used for their infiltration on objectives as well as Camo cloaks for an upgraded cover save, but truthfully it's your call. you need two of either of these squads or a combination, just to make your troops.

For an HQ it really depends on what you wanna do, a captain can be customized for whatever you want to do and there are some great special characters as well to help focus your army. Chaplains are great if you want to go with a close combat army because of the extra punch they get with Liturgies. And librarians can be support or close combat depending on the way they are equipped and what powers you give them.

As for me I love captains because they can be customized for every battle. you can still make your own force how you want to but now they don't really get the special chapter traits unless you take the special characters.

As for a list at 1000 pts I would say go to the list section and check those out, some of them are pretty good
    I serve my master and do as he wants. He wants the badlands, thus they will be his.
    -Shriva the Damned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaleOpener View Post
    Good evening,

It's been awhile since I played SMs, and wanted to ask some questions.

4. Who should be my HQs?

Thanks in advance.

1. I'd personally avoid jump pack vanguard, they're expensive and heroic intervention while v cool isn't that useful. Other than that all the choices have a place in most armies.

2. The marine codex is still really quite flexible, there's a good variety of units and the special characters can help hugely in getting the character you want for your force so i'd say yes, it's still very easy to make your own force.

3. It really depends on what you want your army to do, i'd probably go mech, in which case i'd suggest something like a HQ, 2 tac squads in rhinos and 2 - 3 dreadnoughts depending on points. But saying that marines can do assaulty, mech or most other things, so it all depends on your playstyle.

4. I tend to think you can't go wrong with a librarian in termie armour with a stormshield, but again it comes to playstyle, all the special characters have their good points and bad points and each fits a certain playstyle.

To start i'd suggest a mech force, 2 tac squads in rhinos and 3 dreads in drop pods led by a cheap librarian, that force then can evolve any way you want it to.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mixed around your questions so that they would flow better.

A balanced approach would probably be the best option in 1,000 points. Afterwhich you can decide if you're going to lean towards Assaulty, Shooty, Mech etc.

2x 10 Man Tactical Squads Sgt's. w/Powerfist The special weapons will just depend on what kind of armies you play against.

1x Rhino 1x Razorback People will tell you otherwise on the Transports based on their playstyle and the reason I suggest this way is it gives you a feel of how both of these Dedicated Transports work and after a couple battle you will see which one you prefer. The Rhino lets you tug along 10 guys and while the Razorback doesn't, it is more customizable.

1x 10 Man Assault Squad Sgt. w/Powerfist Flamer's on 2 guys are optional but a good choice or:
    3 Bikes + 1 Attack Bike, Sgt. w/Powerfist (notice a trend) and equip them with Melta Weapons. Bikes are outstanding Tank Hunters and should be kept as such.

You should have about 150-200 points to play with after choosing an HQ so:
    Vindicator: Good against Marines and other Tanks but short in range.
    Whirlwind: Good against hordes, can ignore cover but has low armor value for a tank.
    Predator: Customizable, good support vehicle but since Marines usually have to be moving it's sponsons can sometimes feel useless.

4. Who should be my HQs?
    In 1,000 point games stick to the basic guys, which are:
    Librarian: Great support character, can work nasty tricks with your army.
    Chaplain: Great for assaulty armies especially in an Assault Squad.
    Captain: Really customizable, very effective in CC and can be lethal in shooting as well.
    After 1,000 points read each IC as they can all be worked around.

All unit choices have their ups and downs as the people here will tell you.
    Vanguard Vets are prob the only units I will never play as their Assault Squad counter-parts are just as effective but alot less costly.

Yes, definitely. The basic Marine is very sturdy and reliable you will have no problem making a viable list, just remember to use each squad to their full potential and purpose as they are costly (point wise)

Good luck and have fun!! Hope I helped!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

I agree with the Librarian in Termie armour. giving him a shield is good, but not really a must, so you choose there. I don't think an army with three dreadnoughts is a good starting point, but I would play one. Here's what I recommend to a start with:

HQ
    Librarian with TDA, 2 powers ( 125 )

TROOPS
    10 SMs, with free weapons, Rhino ( 205 )
    5 Sniper Scouts with Missile Launcher ( 85 )

ELITES
    Dreadnought ( 105 )
    5 Terminators with Cyclone, 1 Chainfist, Land Raider Redeemer with Multimelta ( 480 )

That's exactly 1000 points, and fun to play with.

Also, I REALLY recommend that you play a Thunderfire Cannon in games at 1500 points and up. At that amount of points is very easy for it to get juici tarfets to slaughter. Just remember, keep the gunner just inside cover and the gun just outside.
    Last edited by Lemt; September 4th, 2009 at 02:28.
    Necron Army Building Maxima: Beware of Phase Out
    Tervigon Conversion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Mostly covered above but I would say decide the play style you want first, because you may want to do blood angel or black templar, I would advise against the dark angels for now, at least when it comes to rules as you could always make a DA type force with the normal SM codex.

Also, I REALLY recommend that you play a Thunderfire Cannon in games at 1500 points and up. At that amount of points is very easy for it to get juicy targets to slaughter. Just remember, keep the gunner just inside cover and the gun just outside.
    Thunderfires can be really effect but are more of a preference type unit also keep both in cover just leave the gun within 2" of the edge, this way it can get cover and still will not grant a save when it shoots.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MaleOpener View Post
    Not really, everything has it's place. But I would recommend using proxies to test how they work before splashing money on Vanguard.
    Very much so. Just paint the models whatever colours you like, and away you go
    2x Tactical Squads (both with Powerfists, one with Melta/ML, one with flamer/lascannon)
    2x Razorbacks (that with magnets can be converted to/from Rhinos)
    Chaplain
    Whirlwind
    Dreadnaught (with long ranged weapons)
    MM Attack Bikes
    4. Who should be my HQs?
    Chaplain, at low points. He gets a free power weapon
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

As others have said, Vanguard are difficult to wield, though they have their virtues. Overall the key problem is they are just too darn expensive. Also, devastator squads are pretty much useless in 5th. You are better off looking for other heavy weapons alternatives.

Yeah.

While some have said a generalized force is best, I disagree. Every other race has a specialty, while Tac squads are the most generalized unit there is. Jack of all trades, but masters at none. Basically, I would still do the standard HQ + 2 Tac squads, but I would try and add some flair to it, either on the shooty side or assault side. Maybe some sternguard or bikes. Just something with a little more punch than tactical squads. Also, while I didn't mention it, Dreadnaughts are obligatory. To be honest, I would probably steer clear of terminators at such low points, unless you were willing to give them a land raider or have a teleport homer on your tactical squads for easier deep striking.

A few units that can be effective in certain combos:
    Captain (on bike or not) + command squad on bikes (preferably with some power weapons) : this will chop through most enemies at lower points. Bikes are awesome and having a command squad on them makes them even better.

Anything Assaulting + Chaplain: Being able to reroll hits is a pretty sweet deal, especially when the unit doing it is proficient at it. Don't waste a chaplain on a tactical squad tho, it just isn't worth it. Make sure it is something that is gonna get at least 2 CC attacks (assault marines, vanguard, command squads, honor guard, sternguard, etc)

Chapter Master + Honor Guard: Expensive but dangerous, these guys will cut through pretty much anything. Furthermore assuming you keep their loadout the same they will get 3 attacks base due to power sword + bolt pistol.

Attack Bikes: Fairly cheap for what you get, and in squads of 3 or so they can cut through pretty much anything. Give one of them a multi-melta and the guy who decided to stick a landraider in 1000 will be terrified.

4. Who should be my HQs?
    At low points, Chaplain or Librarian. Personally I like the Chaplain because I usually have a couple of brawler units I use, so he compliments them nicely. As for the librarian, he is good against psyker armies and depending on the power can really shake things up. The downside to the Libby is that he only gets 2 psychic powers and can only use 1 per turn, which makes his effectiveness somewhat diminished. I'd steer clear of the captain and CM, unless you wanted to take a command squad or honor guard, which isn't a terrible idea, though expensive.

You should probably figure that out. Generalized armies lose because they either end up on the wrong end of an Ork charge or Tau fire line. I would suggest that you also be sure to invest in some transports, rhinos for larger units, razorbacks for smaller ones, and drop pods for anything you want to wreak havoc behind enemy lines. A lot of people play mech, which means you'll also want some lascannons or melta, or both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Nbolo View Post
    1. I'd personally avoid jump pack vanguard, they're expensive and heroic intervention while v cool isn't that useful. Other than that all the choices have a place in most armies.
    Everyone seems to think Vanguard are a poor choice...and until last night I was happy to believe it all, as on paper yes they do look a bit pricey for what you get.

But last night, in a nids/demons vs guard/marines match, a squad of Vanguard arrived just as the nids were about to close on the Guard lines; they rocketed down from the sky and slaughtered three warriors, a squad of genestealers and some termagants (i think they were termagants). They did not suffer a loss until they began on the termagants (at this point I had to leave the room). Yes some good rolling, but I also think Vanguard is slightly underrated.

Anything can look good on paper, seeing it put to use is an entirely different thing.

So, something to consider. Expensive, but if it saves the day then its worth it, no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

It's true they can save the day, but the problem is that isn't always the case. The truth is, you either have to spend an arm and a leg above their cost getting them set up (locator beacons on things, the things themselves) or you have to say you're going to conserve those points and pray for good scatter rolls.

Pick one, but neither is honestly that appetizing. When they perform well, they are amazing, but as soon as they trip up, a ton of points just went down the drain. You're better off taking assault termies and footslogging them, nearly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast