Power fists - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power fists

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

Power fists

Just a quick question,

I was wondering if it would be worth it to take power fists on my sergeants over a power sword.

I am using a drop pod army, each squad has an ML. So I see the advantage for both, now I am worried about redundancy

Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
    Mal: Define "interesting".
    Wash: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Definatley use power fists on all your sergeants!

They are superior to power swords due to their high strength, you can even take out vehicles with it.

I have one on each of my sergeants. If you're worried about heavy weapons keeping the squad still, combat squad them and have the sergeants + assault weapon advance.

ps. what state do you play in?
    Last edited by Draake; September 8th, 2009 at 06:43.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

There's really only three reasons to go with Power weapons over Fists:

1: Lack of points. A fist does cost nearly twice the points, so if you're low on points, it's a quick way to free some up.

2: Lack of Models. Some players just don't have many Marines with fists.

3: You somehow NEED to hit at initiative. Pretty much only if you're facing some sort of overly dangerous unit that somehow gets stuck with I3/T3. I4 and better, you're still taking the hits, so it's better to wait a bit and hit back harder. T4 and better, your odds of wounding go downhill fast. At least with T3 you'll wound on a respectable 3+... Any tougher and the wait is outweighed by sheer strength.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Always go for the power fist if you have the points. its your inflexible freind. Keep the power swords for special characters where they benefit from higher initiative.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

In Drop PFists are a fact of the army. You're dropping into hell, hell often has MCs and scary characters. A few punches to the face preceded by some Bolter fire can make them less scary and more dead. :]
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

I'm with all the good brethren above, except for one thing: there is actually pretty much never ever a reason to take a power sword on Space Marines in 5th edition. Read here why you should always pick a single lightning claw instead if you lack the points for the fist...

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Shameless self-promotion Red, I'm disappointed in you.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

I'd certainly recommend the powerfist. Every sergeant has one in my army. They are a great, all-purpose weapon that can tackle anything, especially MC's and tanks. There's nothing worse than losing an entire squad over a period of several turns because they couldn't fight back.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    51 (x1)

I think its important to remember the synergy of your army before giving every sgt a power fist as standard - especially on tactical squads; let me go into more detail -

In a generic Space Marine force (where your HQ doesn't overwrite the combat tactics rule) i believe tactical squads really don't want to be hanging around in combat. we certainly wouldn't be charging things by choice as rapid fire is very much their weapon of choice. On the occasion you get a bit caught out and are charged, idealy you want to make sure you lose the combat taking as few wounds as possible so you can drop out of combat by choice and then blast away at the enemy with your rapid fire again next turn.

With a power fist you are really causing yourself a bit of a headache in these situations, you will end up causing a wound, probably, and potentially getting stuck in combat because you didn't lose the fight so cant choose to fail the non-existent morale check! the fist would be nice against dreads - as you stand a chance of killing it outright (and therefore being out of combat again), but against monstrous creatures and infantry squads, you are just going to cause it minor damage, easily shrugged off and leaving you to weather another assault phase.

-> In contrast to this argument, if you have had combat tactics overwritten because you play with a named character, you no longer have the choice to auto fail morale tests - and in some instances (Pedro and Lysander) are actually stubborn. This all makes leaving combat that much harder - so i would recommend in this case - in for a "penny in for a pound!" grab those power fists and take as many of the enemy with you as possible as you are there for the duration i'm afraid!

Aside from all of this - power fists look awesome!

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Moonwatcher, rep'd.

This view point is hardly ever voiced. And is an excellent strategic look at how tacticals can be used, without the mandatory 3x cost Sgts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast