full mech or 90% mech and a platoon home base ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's more competitive for 1500 points?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • A full mech list with whatever mechanical support they have ( all men in transport )

10 45.45%
  • Same as above but most are in transports, some aren't but stay near own deployment edge

12 54.55%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

full mech or 90% mech and a platoon home base ?

I was just wandering on peoples thought's on what is the most competitive. Ths thread will not include the guard army type - horde or gun lining.
    Please vote and with your explaniation and or reason to why you made that choice.
    thanks
    antique_nova

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I think it depends on the army. A short-ranged army with lots of melta, Demolishers, and flamers would benefit greatly from something hanging back to hold objectives (units in Valks/Vends or a platoon). A more static army definitely would benefit with infantry to block assaults and protect artillery.

The added flexibility and scoring bodies are nice, but then you may not be able to field as much armor, so it's a trade off.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I like fielding a small platoon in addition to my armoured units precisely for 'home base' deployment. Nothing fancy, maybe 3 squads with autocannons so they can still reach out and touch the enemy. Command squad might have a mortar and not much else. All up its only about the price of a russ, and you get 35 (squishy) bodies that while not game winners, can't really be ignored by the enemy.
    What Guardsmen dont want to hear...
    "Ok boys, time to fix bayonets!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

If you only have 1 infantry target on the board it will be gone in the first shooting phase. All enemy anti infantry shooting will be concentrated on that one unit. I say don't give the enemy the target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think that having thie mix of transported infantry/ footsloging infantry is the best way, but it depends on which way you do it, my guard got walloped by someone with a force with a few chimeras plus a few tanks with the majority of the infantry already deployed, it creates many problems most importantly what to shoot? as you are getting blowed to bits from both the tanks and the deployed infantry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The list that I have been favoring is having a platoon of 4 line squads strong with the HWS of mortars and lascannons. This provides me my home base unit. The 4 squads get merged into 2 squads with a commie attached to both.

My mech platoon is 3 line squads strong with Rahem PCS squad. They all get chimeras and tooled up with meltas. They outflank to take on the enemy AV units.

The LRBTs sit with the home platoon to assist with the fire fight, the hellhounds rush foward to combat the assualt units moving toward the home platoon and the scout sentinels assist with the mech platoon.

So far this list has worked well as it keeps the enemy cautioius for the first couple of turns as he/she knows that there will be a platoon coming in on the sides. This has its advantage as that leaves me flexible enough to rush in to grab objectives in the later part of the game.
    Where the heck did all them guardsmen come from?

Great Wolf! Is that the howl of the 13th?

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by mackdawg View Post
    The list that I have been favoring is having a platoon of 4 line squads strong with the HWS of mortars and lascannons. This provides me my home base unit. The 4 squads get merged into 2 squads with a commie attached to both.

My mech platoon is 3 line squads strong with Rahem PCS squad. They all get chimeras and tooled up with meltas. They outflank to take on the enemy AV units.

The LRBTs sit with the home platoon to assist with the fire fight, the hellhounds rush foward to combat the assualt units moving toward the home platoon and the scout sentinels assist with the mech platoon.

So far this list has worked well as it keeps the enemy cautioius for the first couple of turns as he/she knows that there will be a platoon coming in on the sides. This has its advantage as that leaves me flexible enough to rush in to grab objectives in the later part of the game.
    Chrimeras and tooled up melta flankers? something doesn't sound right there.
    I have to say that you list sounds like it would suffer against DS units quite badly if they play it right and any army that relies alot on tanks and mech.

keep the comments rolling people!

thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antique_nova View Post
    Chrimeras and tooled up melta flankers? something doesn't sound right there.
    I have to say that you list sounds like it would suffer against DS units quite badly if they play it right and any army that relies alot on tanks and mech.

keep the comments rolling people!

thanks
    antique_nova
    Your comment is true for any list. If your opponent plays to tactics just right he/she would beat any list. I didn't say this list was unbeatable but I have been doing well with it.

The outflanking platoon is led by Rahem, his platoon must outflank. His PCS is loaded with 4meltas in a chimera. The 4 squads of his platoon are armed with meltas and a chimera. So there are 5 chimeras rolling in at one time as the platoon as a whole make the reserve roll. There will be chimeras coming in on both sides which tends to throw off my opponent for a turn or two. I have dealt with DS units with this list. Sure they can throw me off a turn or two but they get dealt with just as easily as my opponents deal with my outflanking platoon.
    Where the heck did all them guardsmen come from?

Great Wolf! Is that the howl of the 13th?

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by mackdawg View Post
    Your comment is true for any list. If your opponent plays to tactics just right he/she would beat any list. I didn't say this list was unbeatable but I have been doing well with it.

The outflanking platoon is led by Rahem, his platoon must outflank. His PCS is loaded with 4meltas in a chimera. The 4 squads of his platoon are armed with meltas and a chimera. So there are 5 chimeras rolling in at one time as the platoon as a whole make the reserve roll. There will be chimeras coming in on both sides which tends to throw off my opponent for a turn or two. I have dealt with DS units with this list. Sure they can throw me off a turn or two but they get dealt with just as easily as my opponents deal with my outflanking platoon.
    nice i didn't mean to make you sound as if i was saying you think your unbeatable. quite the opposite, i was just trying to tell you that, that tactic might not be as good as you think, it you rely too heavily on it.

thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kroxigor01 View Post
    If you only have 1 infantry target on the board it will be gone in the first shooting phase. All enemy anti infantry shooting will be concentrated on that one unit. I say don't give the enemy the target.
    Exactly my point; with the Imperial Guard you always have to remember; 1 is a target 2 are a threat. If you have one small infantry platoon they're gone first or second turn.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast