the (possibly) toughest two-man unit ever - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

the (possibly) toughest two-man unit ever

I am planning to run Cassius and Lysander as a two man unit in a friendly game just for the funs. They both have good saves (both armor and invulnerable), they would share Cassius' T-value, Lysander has a lot of wounds, Cassius has feel no pain, no S can be high enough to instant-kill, etc...
    And they hit hard, too! A flamer and then 4 re-rolled power weapon attacks at high-initiative with high WS and 4 re-rolled mega-strength thunder hammer attacks on the charge, or a bolter hitting in 8/9 and wouding in 5/6... Pretty cool, just for the looks of it!

Do you like the idea? (Outside of a competitive setting...)

Last edited by Red Archer; September 13th, 2009 at 01:03.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

For fun, this is an awesome idea. It's like a shark riding an elephant, smashing and eating its way through your opponents army!

Tekore

Lord Cupcake of Senteria Grey2321's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x1)

I demand a battle report from when you field the Dynamic Duo, that combo does sound fun!
    Space Marines: W15/L7/D3
    Imperial Guard: W6/L4/D0
    Daemonhunters: W4/L1/D1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

531 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey2321 View Post
    I demand a battle report from when you field the Dynamic Duo, that combo does sound fun!
    Alright, I'll make sure I remember!

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Definitely sounds fun, are you planning on giving them a transport of somekind? And what would be their target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol should be fun, you may not win but your opponent will remember you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

531 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Xpyre35 View Post
    Definitely sounds fun, are you planning on giving them a transport of somekind? And what would be their target.
    I was planning to buy a Land Raider for them (only transport Lysander will fit) but I'll have to see if I can spare the points. If I pull this game off for fun it's probably going to be low points [750-1,000] and I'll have to make sure I can still fit some troops.
    I was thinking of maybe getting some cheap scouts to hold some objective, the Dynamic Duo defending their position, while some attack bikes or landspeeders go tank hunting and contest any enemy-held objectives towards the end of the game... Just an idea, though. May sound nice but it's far from competitive...

As for the target question: that will depend greatly on what opponent I will be playing.
    Against Nids I'd probably send them hunting for Nidzilla.
    Versus Chaos Space Marines I'd have them take out Khorne Berzerkers and Chaos Terminators (a couple of weak power weapons versus T6 and 3+ and 4+ invulnerable saves won't hurt - especially since there won't be many and Cassius will probably take out one before he can strike).
    Against Necrons they can take on just about everything, Lysander can even more or less reliably take out monoliths (it'd be a waste sending them against a warscythe though; they would win but lose an unnecessary amount of wounds).
    Facing the Lost and Damned I would take out bloodletters and their weak power weapon attacks or incorporated units of Chaos Space Marines, be it normal ones or Berzerkers, etc...
    But most probably they will just attack anything that poses a danger to my troops holding an objective. The Dynamic Duo (and possibly their land raider) will be there to block any attackers.

Cassius takes 24 WS5, S4 power weapon attacks for every wound on average, Lysander 36. That means you can really just throw them at (almost) whatever's coming at you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

This does indeed sound awesome, if only because of the wound allocation shenanigans you could pull with these two. Put the Powerfist hits onto Cassius (T6 means no ID from double-Strength weapons) and the force weapon ones onto Lysander (Eternal Warrior means no psychic test for you).

Another idea would be to stick them in a unit of Sternguard; Bolter Drill makes the Sternies' shooting deadlier, and because each Sternie has 2 Attacks base having them able to reroll to hit on the charge seems useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

531 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fugger View Post
    This does indeed sound awesome, if only because of the wound allocation shenanigans you could pull with these two. Put the Powerfist hits onto Cassius (T6 means no ID from double-Strength weapons) and the force weapon ones onto Lysander (Eternal Warrior means no psychic test for you).
    I would try to get attacks that ignore armor saves onto Lysander, because Cassius wouldn't get feel no pain, has fewer wounds and not as good an invulnerable save. Since there is no majority of toughnesses I make take the highest and any attacks on Lysander roll versus T6 to wound too...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fugger View Post
    Another idea would be to stick them in a unit of Sternguard; Bolter Drill makes the Sternies' shooting deadlier, and because each Sternie has 2 Attacks base having them able to reroll to hit on the charge seems useful.
    Yeah, but that kind of forfeits Cassius' toughness, while also making one unit where I could have two. And though sternguard - as veterans - are good at close combat, they are still much better at shooting, so I'd rather keep them out of any assaults.
    It's really all about the fun of a two-man unit that can run along the battlefield and keeps the opponent wanting to grasp the opportunity and get rid of them, but he will only get frustrated realizing they aren't as easy to take out. There aren't many armies at 750-1,000 points that could take the two down in one shooting phase even if every single gun would be aimed at them...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tekore View Post
    For fun, this is an awesome idea. It's like a shark riding an elephant, smashing and eating its way through your opponents army!
    Now that would be awesome. Although for dry-land shenanigans you'd need something like a tiger riding an elephant.

I might have to try this combination out.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast