Sternguard Break in Case of Emergency - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sternguard Break in Case of Emergency

I recently modeled the extra Sternguard I had (plus some Tac Squad guys that I converted into Sternguard) to have combi-flamer's. After doing this I wondered if this was a good idea, as I've used 4 combi-melta's which have worked fine. The combi-flamer's I modeled for that extra bit of killing power against hordes but it seems like overkill now.

My question is has anyone had any good (or bad) experiences with the combi-flamer on the Sternguard? What are your thoughts?
    Please chime in!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Egg Head Miniatures:fbook And Justice For All's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    963 (x8)

There is a bloke in my area who frequently plays an 8 man squad of Stern all with combi flamers. Drop pods them in next to something like terminators and fires the lot. Kills the full squad every time! I have seen him take ten and combat squad them on deployment from the pod and they are lethal. Pick your fights if using them and they will reward.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

The two guys here go with all Melta so they can kill anything on the board. I wouldn't say Flamers are bad, Meltas are just better given the special ammunition.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I totally agree Combi-Melta is the way to go, but I already have 8 set up like this. So I wanted a secondary weapon in case I face some hordes and want to clear an objective or something. Laying down 2-3 templates on an enemy looks like it could hurt....some more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

I guess it's more of a meta thing. The meltas allow the Sternguard to take down vehicles, something they usually can't. Flamers are good against horde, so take them if that's what you expect.

The difference is, however, that without meltas SG can't do anything versus vehicles, whereas they CAN already hurt horde somewhat.
    Necron Army Building Maxima: Beware of Phase Out
    Tervigon Conversion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've thought about doing conversions with Combi-Flamer's I just never got around to it. In theory it could help your game as the upgrade is only 5 points the same as Meltabombs but more useful IMO. Even though it'a a one shot thing you can still probably kill a decent amount of guys when you need to. I'd like to hear a write up if you do eventually play the Combi-Flamer Sternies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

I use vulkan in my list but the idea is the same with or without him. 10 sternguard + 2-3 combi-flamers + 3-5 combi-meltas + drop pod and combat squad when you land to kill a transport and then the squad that was inside.

with vulkan the squad has the following stats.

Within 6" verse LR.
    2.67 hits with melta guns = 1.47 pen hits verse AV 14 = .73 destroyed tank.

that then leaves the other combat squad to shoot the unit.

Verse 10 MEQs.
    vulkan = 5 hits = 4.45 wounds
    2 flamers = (safe average guess) 5 hits a piece = 10 total = 7.5 wounds.
    3 rapid fire hellfire rounds = 4 hits = 3.33 wounds
    total wounds = 15.28 = 5.09 dead MEQs

Also works great just to have for take all-comers list which is all I play as it can be great to burn lootas, pathfinders or just about anything.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I would recommend Heavy instead of Combi-flamers. 4+ saves are quite common, and the S5 really puts the bite on most things.

With my sternguard I like to run powerfist/combimelta + 7 combimeltas + 2 heavy flamers in a pod. Split them into 2 even squads, and they can deal with pretty much anything they come across.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

I've just started incorporating some Sternguard into my games. I like them for the sheer short range killing power. I've taken a 5-man squad during my most recent Planetstrike match (Attacker) with a combi-melta, 2 combi-flamers, and gave the Sgt. melta-bombs.

These 5 guys killed 3 units, and destroyed a bastion. Even surviving a full volley of 'FRF, SRF' infantry shooting phase.

I think the combination, or the ability to have both combi-meltas and combi-flamers, is a benefit thats worth sprinkling in 1 or 2 combi-flamers, they are just the icing on the cake for short range shooty death.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

I've been thinking of adding some combi-flamers to my Sternguard. Currently I run a full squad with just four combi-meltas and I rely mostly on the special ammo. When I do incorporate them I plan to add a heavy flamer or two. The loss of the special ammo for a marine or two I think will be made up for by flaming the hell out of everything every turn.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast