Upcomming Flying Eldar Battle - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upcomming Flying Eldar Battle

Hi gents. I have a 1000 point escalation battle against a flying eldar player coming up this weekend. He has just been housing people left and right in our tourney. I haven’t had the opportunity to play the Eldar much and never an army of this point value and type. I'm not positive on his load out for the army as I have only seen it on the table once so far and the game was over quickly. From what I can remember though it looks like this but I could be wrong/missing things.

A Farseer on a bike

5-7 Guardian jetbikes with a Warlock who the Farseer joins.

A unit of 10 Guardian Jetbikes

2 Vypers with missiles

2 Fire Prisms

He likes to reserve everything if he thinks he will be at a disadvantage in the beginning of the game. Then he comes on and uses his speed to nuke any armor, and avoid any CC.

Anyone have any advice on how to take him on? I was thinking whirlwinds and a 10 man A. Squad, and a Librarian backed up by some Tac. Squads. In reality though I have no experience with this guy or his army and I'm really at a loss. I would really love to surprise him with a loss.

----------
    Oh, and I don't have any bikes, assault or otherwise so I cant be helped there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

I dont think a wirlwind is gonna help you here it will die to quickly, what you need is meltas / multimeltas to take out all those tanks

If he is holding on to reserves i would do so too but only if you have something like drop pods where you can drop a devi squad with MM or a tac squad with MM + M to take out the main tanks

But yeh i dont think veh will help you here im thinking (but i have only played elder once) that you need to surprise him, hitting him when his veh etc haven't moved at top speed and i think some drop pods with sterns or dev squads would do this - including if you can take a 10 man squad you can split it into two 5 man squads as they come out of the dP- that way giving you 2 targets to take down - will work if he has units close to each other or stupid enough to take both prisms next to each other - i would say focus on getting rid of those 4 main veh hitting him behind the rest of his army
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

This is the sort of list where missile launchers shine in my opinion. Eldar vehicles aren't that hard to get glances, they're just hard to put down for good. What you need is a large volume of strength 8 weapons. A 5 man dev missile squad is actually one of my favorite units to take down Eldar vehicles. Usually one shot gets through and actually does something. Even a glance can kill their skimmers as Eldar players love to move flat out to get into position. They get a cover save but an immobilized result will wreck it.

Fire prisms don't really scare me much in 5th as they tend to do nothing for most of the game. Don't bother shooting vehicles that have Fortune, no matter how scary. It just makes them too hard to kill.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is acutally a VERY easy list to take out. Thoes elder jetbikes really make no difference. They have a horribale save of only 4+ which means if they go toe to toe with marines you will wipe the floor with them. Charge the jetbikes. They need 5+ to wound you while you need 4+ to wound them. You save on a 3+ and they save on a 4+. The Whirlwind will kill that army big time. Use the str 4 no coversave shot and watch them fall like flies. They won't get the speed cover save. The fire prisims will be your problem. To take them out simply drop a dread or 2 behind them. If you hit them from behind with a melta at less then 12" range you pen on a 3+ with 2d6 which means you only have a 1/36 chance of glancing and a 35/36 chance of a full pen. If your deads get into combat with the jetbikes they are dead. There is almost no chance they will die. The only thing to worry about is the farseer. If you want to show a list I can help. Oh yea, also anything above str 8 against elder is a waste. If you use a Dev squad or 2 with missle launchers you will make them cry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetahfurry View Post
    This is acutally a VERY easy list to take out. Thoes elder jetbikes really make no difference. They have a horribale save of only 4+ which means if they go toe to toe with marines you will wipe the floor with them. Charge the jetbikes..
    They have 3+ armor saves, as do most bikes. Charging the Jetbikes is a good idea, EXCEPT

1) Eldar Jetbikes can dance away in their assault phase, meaning you have an extra 6" to cover

2) If you're in charge range, the unit will be the target of Doom and then a ridiculous amount of twinlinked Shuriken Catapults (storm bolter eq.)

3) If you're in charge range, expect them to charge you first, with a combination of #2 and high initiative.

This list is all about mid-close range shooting. If you can close the distance to assault, awesome. Assault squads are pretty solid, but Eldar mobility can keep a single squad at bay pretty easily.

I'd go with the Missile Devastators for sure, as they can neuter the Fire Prisms or the Jetbikes equally well. The Vyper Jetbikes especially have no chance.

Drop Pods are rough if he chooses to stay in reserve. But dropping an Ironclad should be an equal threat to his tanks and his Jetbikes. Witchblades are pretty solid at killing armor, but you never know.

-Dark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by darkspawn327 View Post
    Drop Pods are rough if he chooses to stay in reserve. But dropping an Ironclad should be an equal threat to his tanks and his Jetbikes. Witchblades are pretty solid at killing armor, but you never know.

-Dark
    Definitely a good idea, podding in a dread. There's precious little serious AT firepower in that list, and an aggressively dropped Dread can do tons of damage in the right place. Remember to have an extra podding unit or two so you can delay some of the pods, just in case he tries to pull the reserve deployment trick.

Even putting simple Tactical squads in pods can work wonders if you place them boldly and use the IGS on the pod to drop right on top of an important unit - a full bolter/plasma/melta salvo at close range can really cripple a small, elite force like this.

You're looking to be bold, jump him, hammer his important stuff as hard as possible, then hunker down and outlast whatever's left.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fire prisms are pretty serious Anti tank, and he has 4 possible shots from them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In addition to the Fire Prisms, I'm pretty sure the Farseer and all the Warlocks have singing spears too. That strength 9 throwing thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that would be witchblades, and on a jetbike farseer, devastating against most vehicles in assualt on back armour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They can also throw an item called Singing Spear 12" range, otherwise same effect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast