demolitions with veterans - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

demolitions with veterans

Im making my first guard army list and I like the the looks of the "demolitions" doctrine for veterans. I am currently looking at running them like:

Veterans, demolitions, 3 melta guns, chimera with 2 heavy flamers and smoke. 185

Is this set-up any good? How do you run your demo vets? Do you run demo vets?

Thoughts greatly appreciated. Rep for good advice.

Zhupei

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I find Demolitions a Brilliant Doctrine. The Democharge is useful against anything and the Melta bombs is useful to have kickig around. Theres been many a suprised dreadnaught who's assaulted my Vets only to die.

If you were to put them on Vets i wouldn't bother with putting them on Melta Vets though. 3 Melta guns is enough for killing tanks and Dreads. Give Demolitions to a unit that would normaly have trouble with MEQs or Tanks/Dreads. Like Vets with Flamers/G-Launchers. Vets with Plasmsa and a Democharge just makes MEQs cry.....Expensive though.

Chimera - There's no point in having two flamers. You can't move and fire both of them so the chances of your opponent being in range is pretty slim indeed. Take a Multilaser and H-Flamer so you can shoot stuff while you close in and then burn stuff when you get close.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; September 19th, 2009 at 11:02.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Thanks for the quick answer Lord Borak. rep for you.

Thanks for warning me about the chimera, I hadn't realised that.

As for the vets.. I was planning on driving up and throwing the demo charge while moving on to the enemy tanks, but now that I rethink that, the chances are pretty slim that a unit would be 6" away from the chimera.

running the vets with plasmas and demos is a bit of a waste in my army as I plan to run two demolishers. Though the idea of the flamer-demo vets sounds interesting..I have a lot of thinking to do.

Thanks

Zhupei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I like Demolitions on a unit in a Valkyrie, preferable more than one. Zoom 24" with your scout move, hop out and nuke a tank with 10 melta bombs. After that, Demo charges for funsies.

It's a pricey upgrade and Guard really don't need all that much help popping tanks, but it's has its moments.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine what can you do with Melta Vets with Demolitions......

1. Melt down tank with meltaguns. If this fails, smack the vehicle with meltabombs, surely will make their tanks cry!

2. Make infantries look like a joke. Drop the democharge on their face and pray that it hits otherwise finish them off with meltaguns and lasguns!

3. Mortally wound MCs like nobody business. Imagine a carnifex got wounded by 3 melta shots and one demo charge (that's it if everything wounds).

* Note: 2 and 3 is better done from a Chimera, much better if your sergeant have plasma pistol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

One of my favorite units in my army is my demo vets.

Chimera multi laser heavy flamer
    Vets demolitions 3 flamers
    Total: 170pts

It's a mobile scroing unit that can deal with just about anything your oponent throws at them. 3 flamers a heavy flamer and tons of lasguns to deal with infantry, a demo charge and torrent of fire can kill most termie units if the demo charge hits (the other weapons dealing with the 1-2 survivors). The melta bombs can demolish any tanks or walkers that think they have a chance against your unit of infantry doom.

Plus they can score.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kevin vanrooyen View Post
    One of my favorite units in my army is my demo vets.

Chimera multi laser heavy flamer
    Vets demolitions 3 flamers
    Total: 170pts

It's a mobile scroing unit that can deal with just about anything your oponent throws at them. 3 flamers a heavy flamer and tons of lasguns to deal with infantry, a demo charge and torrent of fire can kill most termie units if the demo charge hits (the other weapons dealing with the 1-2 survivors). The melta bombs can demolish any tanks or walkers that think they have a chance against your unit of infantry doom.

Plus they can score.

The Emperor Protects
    Just a sharing, this is my favorite config for my vets

Vets with 3 meltaguns
    Chimera (multi-las and heavy flamer)
    Demolitions

A dedicated tank killer, run out from the chimera, pop the tank with meltaguns, if all else fails charge into the tank and start popping meltabombs on the tank, and pray that it does not explode.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Vets, power fist, shotguns, flamer, melta x2, engineers (demo and melta)
    In a valk with multiple rocket pods, multilaser and heavy bolters.
    I tend to outflank, and just hammer some poor infantry. If my opponent has moved infantry / left a vehicle close to me on the second turn the valk turns up i'll get out and charge the target.
    Or, just turn up, get out and hit things.
    I am considering three flamers, maybe one heavy for killing orks. Or just the junior officer i never do anything with with a fist and four flamers for that though - i could put it in my all comers list and the valk occupants change from game to game depending on opposing race.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Thanks

Thanks all for the help you have given me, it is very appreciated. I am just about to put my army list up for criticism. It would be very appreciated if you could give me a few pointers there as well.

Thanks

Zhupei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Throw a pair of priests in there for some overkill, and you've got vehicle death on wheels.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast