Advice on tking down SMs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on tking down SMs

I'm a Tau player, but my older brother plays as the Space Marines and I've yet to win a single fight against him. I need some tips on how to take down 1) Land Raiders, 2) venerable dreadnoughts, and 3) long-ranged Devastator squads hiding behind a wall.

Humanity is the ultimate, self-destructive being on this planet. We create some many very creative and gruesome ways to die yet we can never understand why such thinbgs vex us so.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as an eldar player i have some of the same problems
    1. land raider, and strenght 10 ap1 weapons do well here, railgun perhaps??

2. i dont know about dreadnouts, but hit them woth good strong weapons, devastors, use guns that have long range and waith for them to pop out, i think all of their weapons are heavy type, so it shoul;d be realatively easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have a real problem wwith Land Raiders as I have yet to even really damage one. I managed to kill all but the Land Raider and a marine squad. And that thing popped my Hammerhead and Broadsides within three turns.
    Humanity is the ultimate, self-destructive being on this planet. We create some many very creative and gruesome ways to die yet we can never understand why such thinbgs vex us so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe keep your tanks in cover, and then pop of some shots with the rail gun

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

The bane of Land Raiders (and all other vehicles) is the Railgun, and the Tau army can field many of them. I recommend fielding at least 1-2 Hammerheads with Railguns (don't forget the disruption pods too!), then consider a squad of Broadside Battlesuits. No Land Raider should be able to stand up to two or more Railguns hitting it per turn.

Re: Devastators.. what do you mean by "behind a wall?" If they can't see you, they can't shoot you (and vice versa). So, kill them the same way you would kill any other Marine squad, but if they can't see you (by hiding behind a wall) they aren't gonna be able to shoot you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FireWarrior039 View Post
    1) Land Raiders
    Some of the best armor we can get as Space Marines, acting as a firing platform and a transport. You're best bet for a quick fix would be to get yourself a couple of S8 to S10 weapons and focus fire it until it's wrecked/destroyed.

2) venerable dreadnoughts
    How's it fitted? Is he taking it into close combat with you or is he using it as a firing platform?

That aside, focus fire it until it's wiped out. It may be venerable, but it's not invincible.

3) long-ranged Devastator squads hiding behind a wall.
    Also hide behind a wall. 4+ cover saves are a good thing to have. Once his more mobile elements such as the Dreadnought and the Landraider have been dealt with, start targeting this element with those now free heavy weapons.

Pending the scenario you're playing, you're best bet is to take advantage of as much cover as you can or setup your armor and squads so as they can confer each other cover bonuses (Fire Warriors out in front!). Then focus fire his squads and armor down one at a time. It might take a bit longer since he is Space Marines and we are pretty durable, but it's better than running out across the field and closing the distance for close combat.
    Battle for Pollux
    Campaign tick is changing from Wednesdays to Mondays, first week of November.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've got the cover save and they keep firing at anything and everything that pops out of cover for a turn. They've got the armor save, cover save, and a land raider who shoots at anything while it just sits in freaking spot the entire time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like your brother is beating you at your own game by establishing a pretty heavy firebase. What else is he packing in his army?
    Battle for Pollux
    Campaign tick is changing from Wednesdays to Mondays, first week of November.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by FireWarrior039 View Post
    They've got the cover save and they keep firing at anything and everything that pops out of cover for a turn. They've got the armor save, cover save, and a land raider who shoots at anything while it just sits in freaking spot the entire time.
    They don't get both an armour and cover save; only one or the other, you can't take more than one save. The Land Raider, again, should not be surviving past turn two if you're bringing Railguns to the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know, but he put them there because of my high AP weapons. So that he does get at least one save. And thanks to the combined power of a Land Raider, a venerable dreadnought, and the devastator squads, he took out my only Broadside I have and then my Hammerhead because it was too distracted with the Land Raider.

Also, the dread had a lascannon with a meltagun.

He's also got a predator, two Land Speeders, a couple of bikes, assualt marines, and reqular marines with one razorback with a las turret up on top. But he only used the predator in that game.
    Last edited by FireWarrior039; September 20th, 2009 at 20:52.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast