Librarium Online Forums banner

In need of anti-land raider power

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Lord Borak 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, new guard guy here.

Several of my opponents at my regular place of gaming like to use two land raiders along with various other vehicles and I was wondering what the best way of popping those armor 14 vehicles would be.

I have been reading the forums and there seems to be a lot of anti-lascannon heavy weapon groups, and I don't have a vendetta or plan on getting one in the near future (expensive model is expensive). What other ways do I have of blowing up land raiders/other armor 14 vehicles?

Edit: Figured I should add this in, I rarely play games where I field more than 1000.

Edit 2: Army list is up, click here

#4 ·
I'm guessing when talking about meltas we are talking about the veteran squad/chimera tactic? How survivable are chimeras? I'm returning to the game after a bit of a break and I remember armor 12 vehicles just exploding on turn one, though I have been told vehicles are quite a bit more survivable now.

Though I guess the idea is if they are focusing anti tank on my chimeras my russes are eating them?

I'll look into a demolisher, seems like it is definitely required against any marine army just for the anti-terminator capabilities.

#6 ·
For long range AV14 busting you have the Demolisher and the Medusa. Both are str10 AP2 and with Ordinance you get 2 dice pick the highest so you should easily pop AV14. The Medusa has a longer range but the Demolisher has better armour.

For close range AV14 popping you have Meltaguns or Devil Dogs (it's pretty hard to miss a Land raider with that Blast template)

#7 ·
Two landraiders in a 1000 point game? Yeesh. That's cheese my friend!

Like Knight, Lord, and the bunch said, Meltas are made of absolute win here.

Alternatively, if you're feeling lucky, take a Vanquisher Russ (...S8, AP2, 2d6 for pen, I believe), put Pask in it and give it a Lascannon and a Hunter Killer Missile, and watch your enemy claw their eyeballs out as you pop their Land raider from 72 inches away. It'll kill the first tank you shoot at, almost 100% of the time. S9 shot rolling 2d6 for pen. S10 lascannon. S9 Hunter Killer. If you don't get first turn, hide it behind cover. If you do get first turn, use it to control the board, but be warned, Pask'll have a bullseye on his head.

If you want, bring a demolisher (love these babies). S10 AP2 can't go wrong. Pop smoke while approaching.

Devil Dogs with its melta cannon. Its Melta...that explodes...whats not to love?

#8 ·
Demolisher, Manticore, Meltas in Chimeras or Valks/Vendettas, the Vendettas have Lascannons as well. HWS with Lascannons and Bring it Down if you're desperate.

The last thing my army fears is AV14.

Edit: Forgot Devil Dogs, which annihilate Crusaders and Redeemers. Still good against basic LR just gotta juke the shots first.

#9 ·
Medusas with closed crew compartment are decent at making AV 14 sit up and say HELLO! I don't think you really need the bastion breacher shells. they're better for breaking tanks, but poor for once the armor's opened.

Melta Vets in a chimera or Valkyrie are good for opening AV14 as well. Vets can get off 3 good BS shots, which should rock some AV14. and the vets can be had for 155pts! which makes them an excellent troops choice.

DevilDogs or Hellhounds with hull Multimeltas aren't too horrible either.

#10 ·
Try Veterans with the Demolitions upgrade and nothing else. You don't even need them to have a Chimera if you can guess where the Land Raider will go. That many meltabombs plus the demo charge will (statistically) give good results and nobody will expect the Veterans to charge the LR. Even if they fail, the Land Raider will have to either tank shock them (giving you another chance at a kill, probably) or let its passengers out early to handle the roadblock.

Also, I second farmpunk on using multimeltas on a Hellhound chassis.

#11 ·
Vendetta with meltagun veterans and if you want, demoitions. Make two of these. If the Land Raider contains any termies your veterans are toast. But the termies will get stranded after killing off the veteran squad and then you throw the other demo charge on them = dead termies.

Reactions: theredkitty
#13 ·
In 1000 pts 2 Land Raiders arent cheesy, especiallyif you play guard. We can field more anti tank weaponry than any other army, and for less. You gotthis in the pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.