Ragnar and Logan Grimnar? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ragnar and Logan Grimnar?

I am thinking of starting space wolves because of all the fluff written about them and I really like the concept, so naturally I want to use some of the characters from the book, like Ragnar or Logan Grimnar, or both even.

Are armies using these characters, Ragnar in perticular, very competetive? Or are they just used for themed or fluff reasons? I have been scanning a few lists and I never see them listed, so I am just curious.

If so, what reason would you take them? What about them would give you the advantage? Thanks!

Last edited by Diango; September 28th, 2009 at 22:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well considering the new codex comes out soon somethings might change. but of as now i use ragnar quite regularly to good results, i havent tried Logan, but i stick ragnar with a unit of 9 Grey Hunters and have them do drive-bys and assaults. my grey hunters get 5 attacks on the charge i find him to be very competitive, he takes out other HQs quite well and with 7 attacks on the charge iirc, takes units on pretty well too. i just wish he had a PP but thats just my style.

Logan i dont know about cause ive never used him.

some people say just to use a generic hq instead of Ragnar but i find out that is that if kitted out the same, the generic is only 2 pts or so cheaper and ragnar still gives +2A on the charge.

his 3+ armor is meh imo. i want to give him 2+ for the times i dont trust my luck and want an easier save. (happens to me! no flame please)

hope that helps

cheers o7

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

The point is that you might not want a 200+pt HQ choice. Both Ragnar and Logan are quite good, but the normal counterparts are also pretty good. You can get a wolf lord with runic armour, a storm shield, and a frostblade for 175pts. He would have a 2+/3++ save and 4 strength 5 attacks. Not bad, huh?
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

keep in mind that in the new dex both of their points values went up. Ragnars went up considerably.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Both cost as much or more than a Land Raider, so consider that.

Logan is a solid support character, hits pretty hard himself, has Eternal Warrior, and makes Wolf Guard Troops. Unless you want scoring WG, I wouldn't recommend him.

Ragnar is a combat machine, but has a poor inv save and no Eternal Warrior (hello powerfist!) Since SW already have solid combat units, he seems like overkill.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

I think both are good IF you plan to build your army around them.

Ragnar Blackmane is very good in CC, and great if you want an assault army. With a pack of Grey hunters they'll have on average 4 attacks each on the assault, 5 if he's with Wolf Guard. Those are S5 attacks, BTW, before even considering Frost Weapons. Plus using his once-per-game ability can really turn the tide of battle.

Logan Grimmar isn't half bad either, and having Wolf Guard as troops is awesome. But there are other uses for him too. Why, he could join a pack of Long Fangs in a pinch! He can then give them the tank hunters rule, or even Relentless. Pity preferred enemy only works in CC.
    Necron Army Building Maxima: Beware of Phase Out
    Tervigon Conversion

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Prefered enemy shooting would be AWESOME. I presume that's why it's CC only

Although rather than re-roll to hit, I'd expect it to force a reroll of successful armour saves to represent knowing where to shoot.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

Grimnar + Multi-melta Long Fangs in a Drop Pod.

Costs a ton, but when it works I would laugh.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Relentless Longfangs, thats hilarious!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

The more competitive of the two is Logan. His excellent defense, excellent offense and over all army buffs make him a good choice. He is very expensive mind you but can be worth his weight in gold in the right list. Making wolf guard troops, as well as buffing his squad every turn...preferred enemy wolf guard terminators is just wrong can be huge. With eternal warrior and a 2+/4++ he will stick around for a while as well.

Ragnar I see as a fun character that can make a unit of wolf guard a nightmare on the charge. His problem is that one powerfist can wreck his day and he is a very expensive point investment. I wouldnt relegate him to the realm of a fluff bunny character but competitive wise, your two best are going to be Njal and Logan.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

+ Reply to Thread