Help with my paint scheme - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with my paint scheme

So i have came up with a paint shceme i like for Marines and yes i do know that there is a chaos chapter with similar paint scheme. Bow the problem is working which colours would fit what? The scheme is basically Ultramarines but white with gold trims instead of blue with gold trims. I want the gold to be slightly more pale than the ultramarines one maybe. If possible could you point me out to which GW colours would get me the paint scheme roughly, Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

I would undercoat your figures with a GW white spray can. I would probably give them 2 coats to get a really smooth finish. Then go down to an art shop and buy some Winsor & Newton grey ink. Wash the whole model in it (dilute to taste) then reapply white to your armour plates.

For a light gold the same colour as a pound coin use Velejio Old Gold or the gold from miniature paints. A freind of mine doesn't use gold paint but just applies boltgun metal and 2 coats of gryphon sepia. I haven't tried it myself.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm spray with gw white, ink with that stuff and then paint what white on the armour plates?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

just paint with whatever white you want the final white to be and make sure to leave the dark spots from the inking in the recesses to give you your shading

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok i will try this and one question what would be a way to do this only using Gw Paint products. I am going to try and find the ink though but i live in Australia and i think the first guy was talking about a English brand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

winsor newton is a brand you'll find at pretty much any hobby shop that has painting supplies, they make nice brushes and things of the like.

an alternative would be to make your own wash out of citadel codex grey. water it down heavily and maybe add some "flow improver" (usually found from winsor newton brand or any other brand, all flow improvers work the same way) and this will pretty much be your own "grey ink". use google to find better ways to make your own wash/ink as i'm no expert on it but, use citadel codex grey as the base.

next paint all of your armor with citadel skull white leaving the grey in the recesses.

For more thorough instructions search the painting forum for how to paint white armor, there are tons of threads on it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Painting up from codex grey is a long slog. The GW skull white needs plenty of coats to layer up the white. I have done this on a couple of models but it takes ages to get a nice finish. I wouldn't want to do this on an entire army.

A wash is more controlable as you can dilute it or use a lighter grey such as fortress grey as the shading. Making an Ink out of paint and flow enhancer is a good idea. The flow enhancer will stop it drying with tide marks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok this is how i understand it roughly from who has posted so far, of course i will try a couple of other methods along the way.

1. Spray with skull white spray (then spray again with the spray)
    2. rinse in Ink? and dilute the ink to taste.
    3. paint white areas of armour with Skull white or other white.
    4. paint the trims gold (colour of taste!)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Yes you can then black out other areas and paint them such as the boltgun. Silver and gold tend to work better over a black undercoat. You can also apply a black paint wash carefully to those flexible joints at the back of the knee and elbo joints.

+ Reply to Thread