Devistator weapons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Devistator weapons

I know this as already been covered but I'm looking for advice on weapons configurations for my dev squad, I was thinking having 1 ML, 1 Lascannon a plasma and a heavy bolter. My reasoning behind this is if I have to deal with armour the lascannon the ml and maybe the plasma can deal with it but this excludes the Heavy bolter yet if I'm dealing with infantry all my weapons can deal with them only the las is not very efficient. I'm just looking for thoughts on this combination

I am the powerful, and intelligent, wizard; Morfumax.- Pvt. Michael J. Caboose, Blue Army

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Voice of Reason RJSuperfreaky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x3)

My thought is that unless we're talking Space Wolves, I think Dev squads are currently useless. I'd much rather take 2 tac squads, get a ML for FREE, combat squad them up, and place the two 5-man combat squads with the ML's together on an objective. Why? Three simple reasons.

1) Each of these combat squads would count as troops and thus, could hold objectives

2) Each ML could fire at a separate target if you want (they are different units)

3) Your opponent will have to kill both combat squads to get you off the objective.

As far as weapons go, I would argue that the ML is the best choice overall. It's flexible, has nearly as good strength as the Lascannon, and won't "get hot".

Just my opinion.
    Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
    Indiana: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

For the last time, there are
    NO FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!!!

leeds yorkshire england am not a yorkie though
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

put your Lc in your tacticals if not take 3ML and 1Lc that cover sinf and anti tank if u take a full squad combat them put lc and ml in with sgt then u have bs 5 shot with your lc hope it helps

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

I don't know, that's a little too all-round and mixed for my taste.

As far as dev weapon choices go:
    Multi-melta are the worst and I would almost rule them a no-go. Devs should be staying back and have the range...
    All the other options are fine, but shouldn't be mixed too much. If you can't field a unit of ten devs then its best and cheapest to stick with four missile launchers (in an eight-man squad, for example) or four heavy bolters versus hordes. This is low cost and offers a lot of versatility, though it's not really dedicated.
    If you field ten men and can combat squad you might want to go 2 plasma cannons and either 2 missile launchers or lascannons. 4 lascannons is just too expensive. This way you can reliably deal with low-AV vehicles and can kill even infantry quite well even if it's MEQ.

I probably wouldn't go devastators at all, to be honest, because there are better options out there that do the same. Hordes are better taken care of by whirlwinds, landspeeders, and dakka preds. And tank hunting in fifth edition is only reliable for marines with melta weapons, so go melta guns in your mechanized tac squads and add some multi-melta speeders or attack bikes...
    The vindicator is a nice option against tanks and hordes alike.

Egg Head Miniatures:fbook And Justice For All's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

963 (x8)

As has been said. Decide what you want them to shoot at and suit them up accordingly. That way they will all be able to shoot at your selected target. I have 2 dev units of 4x ml and 1 dev unit of 4x hb. Excellent at what they are designed for. If I want las I stick that in tac units as its cheaper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

That seems a little too all-around to me. I would probably go for a 2 x plasmacannon, 2 x heavy bolter or 4 x plasmacannon if you are facing horde armies. For an all-around unit go for the 4 x ML. As has been said it's probably best to put the lascannons in your tactical squads.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

This topic may be of some help to you: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...vastators.html

After all, it's why the topics were started in the first place.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Personally, as the devastator squad was hands down my favorite unit in 4th edition I have tried out many different, and even strange devastator weapon combinations, and have found that they only really work in 5th edition when the same heavy weapon is concentrated for a unit bristling with 3 or 4 of them. In this I find the best combos are either 4 missile launchers, 2 missile launchers and 2 lascannons, or as many plasma cannons as you can get your hands on, with a heavy bolter or two to fill the rest of the heavy weapons the squad can take. The first one has a very long 48" range with all heavy weapons while being able to shoot down any infantry not sporting a 2+ save, or veichle without an armour value 14. The next has equally long range, but will bear less of an impact on troops with a much higher amount of damage scored on veichles, from a safe range of course. The last is my personal favorite, mny a terminator/ 10 man raptor/ half an ork mob/ necron squad/ you get the point has felt the major hurt this unit can put down, with a slightly decreased range from the former two.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

+ Reply to Thread