Space Wolf different? or just another mech - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Space Wolf different? or just another mech

So what i want to know is has anyone tried a hybrid or foot list with the SW?

I am looking to start a 2nd army that does not have to rely on armor to win, I know this is a far fetched request in 5th edition, but i will be honest with you, playing nothing but models in tanks and having a tank shoot off every game isnt my idea of fun anymore. I know what is the most competetive, but for me, now, the most competetive lists are the most boring for me.

I tried a foot slogging 1000 pt fun game with storm caller, 15 bc, 10 gh, 5 wg termies and a dreadnaught, and i must say the storm caller is fun character to use, quite annoying for the opponent, its basically a free spell every turn in my opinion (unless you get the lowest result on turn 1). BC has an amazing amount of attacks and 2 assault weapons is really handy. But i must say the WS and BS 3 is a real bummer. at the same price of GH idk about them anymore. Now if they were llike 13 points a model or something thatd be different, because they have +1A but then can lose the ability to shoot, so its kinda IMO give and take on abilitys, then you have WS and BS 3. Meh oh well, i like them cause they are fluffy and u can field big squads.

GH are basically CSM with more special rules in my opinon, again 2 assault weapons is much better IMO than 1 assault 1 heavy.

Wolf guard are fun because of all the options i had and are extremely fluffy.

THe dreadnaught was there cause i had a model.

But i would really like to minamize my armor usage, i can handle a few pods, a rhino and maybe a landraider at high points. also did anyone notice drop pods are 10 man transports for the SW?!?!

Any thoughts would be nice

Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Lia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Been toying around with the idea to get some Wolves for a few weeks now, seems like they would go well with my Einherjar Guards , and it's the only loyalist marines i don't dislike too much to conceive playing. Might even get me over the Xenos indoctrination that make me dislike Marines...

If i did play them i would probably play a hybrid, but i like speed so there would probably be a few transports (Razorbacks most likely) and land speeders. For the rest, probably drop podded Grey Hunters/Wolf Guards and Dreadnoughts. (I don't like Land Raiders, way too costy for what they do... but them i face railguns Tau often soo...)

If you want to avoid using Vehicules as much as possible, Wolf Guards can get Jump Packs or Bikes if they don't go Terminators, not sure on the cost effectiveness side of things, but considering about everyone appears to want to make a Wolf-Wing it would be fairly unique/different, i guess. Wolf Scouts with their outflank rule should be able to get where you want them without relying on transports.

And yes Drop pods having a capacity of 10 is probably a balancing factor, to make you choose between an attached Wolf Guard or the 2nd special weapon. Fluffwise it's the kegs of ale. ;P

And yeah, Grey Hunters and Wolf Guards definitely seems to have more in common with Chaos than with Codex. Which is good. I like options.

Only two things annoy me about the Space Wolves new releases : Why the hell is there only Plasmas in the Grey Hunter Pack's boxes and not even one Cyclone Missile Launcher in the Termies... They could totally be sold as stand alone as is...

Anyone know a place to find mass amounts of Flamers, Melta guns, Missile Launchers and Cyclones? in plastic? (I hate metal)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

A jump pack army would be similar too a blood angel? except wouldnt suck as much. and a bike army would be similar to a raven wing army? Idk bout that I havent seen or played one.

Yeah I thought about a jump pack, assault, bike, beasts/calvery army. Except the troop choices cant have any of these (cept for the canis , but wolves cant claim objectives sooo MEH).

I suppose I could pick up the new battle force when it comes out and use 2 pods with the scouts and 2 squads of troop wolves, then fill out the rest with assault/bike models?

In reality this comes out to not very many points after the 2 troop choices and an HQ choice. =(. Not leaving much for an effective assaultyish wing.

At higher points i can take logan and have wolf guard with packs but I generally avoid those high point games as I have other things to do in the day =P.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by ericismyname View Post
    A jump pack army would be similar too a blood angel? except wouldnt suck as much. and a bike army would be similar to a raven wing army? Idk bout that I havent seen or played one.

Yeah I thought about a jump pack, assault, bike, beasts/calvery army. Except the troop choices cant have any of these (cept for the canis , but wolves cant claim objectives sooo MEH).

I suppose I could pick up the new battle force when it comes out and use 2 pods with the scouts and 2 squads of troop wolves, then fill out the rest with assault/bike models?

In reality this comes out to not very many points after the 2 troop choices and an HQ choice. =(. Not leaving much for an effective assaultyish wing.

At higher points i can take logan and have wolf guard with packs but I generally avoid those high point games as I have other things to do in the day =P.
    Personally I wouldn't advocate a jump pack or a bike army. Wolf guard with bikes are 53pts before upgrades and with jump packs they're 43pts before upgrades. Its sorta insane IMHO, and you still need to take terminator Logan.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

253 (x7)

That is why I am not doing it, although the thoughts have crossed my head. I am still trying to create a list that will be semi-competitive and fun (fun as in, not all mechanized). it's looking somewhere along the lines of 2-3 troop choices, 2 in transport, long fangs in the back. From there I just have to see where to go.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

253 (x7)

So has anyone run a good hybrid or foot list yet? Or should i plan to purchase multiple pods, rhinos and razorbacks?
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if your looking for army choice suggestions, but if you wanna play an interesting non mech list go with chaos daemons.

They have the most unique deployment and don't have a single transport in the army.

Thats my two cents.

Dhoom out!
    Feed me Seymor!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

253 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Dhoom View Post
    I don't know if your looking for army choice suggestions, but if you wanna play an interesting non mech list go with chaos daemons.

They have the most unique deployment and don't have a single transport in the army.

Thats my two cents.

Dhoom out!
    Not army choice, just seeing if SW was going to be different. Or if it was just another Mech army with different unit choices to put in the transports
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

mech sucks

they did this on purpose because they knew they were charging 35 dollars for a 50pt model that only transports troops. for 70 bucks you get 160-200 points of space marines and 50-60 points of... a way to drive them around.

as far as a game goes it's just outright more fun to get 400 pts of models for your money and then run around shooting stuff

it's so boring to watch these mech games where everyone deploys and all that's on the table is 6 rhinos and 5 wave serpets

woo..

end rant

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

253 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelter Skelter View Post
    mech sucks

they did this on purpose because they knew they were charging 35 dollars for a 50pt model that only transports troops. for 70 bucks you get 160-200 points of space marines and 50-60 points of... a way to drive them around.

as far as a game goes it's just outright more fun to get 400 pts of models for your money and then run around shooting stuff

it's so boring to watch these mech games where everyone deploys and all that's on the table is 6 rhinos and 5 wave serpets

woo..

end rant
    Thats what I am getting at, but im afraid that looking at the codex, playing a few test games....Looks like at min hybrid is the way to go, but if i wanted to play in GT or hardboyz itd be all transports.....=(
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast