Need help/ideas for 1000pts of SWs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Need help/ideas for 1000pts of SWs

Good <early> morning,

As the title suggests, I'm interested in starting a 1000pt force of Space Wolves. I admit, I don't have the codex yet, but I'm interested in knowing how they are since I last played them.

*First Space Wolves rulebook*

For those who may have it, what would you suggest for such a small/starting force?

I would like to be well-rounded, and stay a fluffy force.

All help, suggests, and opinions are welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Probably start off with a couple Grey Hunter squads. Maybe a Blood Claw squad. You'll also want some heavy support, so get a unit of Long Fangs and/or a Predator. (Rhino's are good for transports, but always buy a Pred/Whirlwind/or Razorback initially. Leave the weapons detachable so you can use it as a Rhino too) For HQ, you could either convert one of your GH models into a Wolf Lord/Priest or just get a model.
    Take a look at some of the lists that are being posted in the army list subthread to see what people are running. I actually haven't had an opportunity to run with the new dex, but it is similar enough to the old one that my strategies arent going to change too much.
    FYI: Lose=To not win Loose=To not be tight There=A place Their=A person's They're=They are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Convert yourself some Thunderwolf Cavalry as soon as you get the chance. They're awesome. They will punch the face off you and anyone who's standing with you. Long Fangs are also pretty cool, although the jury's out on whether they provide as much bang for your buck as a Predator would. They're a lot cheaper and with Fire Control are a bit shootier too, but they're not as hardy and waste a turn of shooting if they need to redeploy. Rune Priests can be used to add a nice Autocannon-esque weapon to your shooting, and they're nice and cheap too.

Grey Hunters are the place to start though. I wouldn't bother buying Blood Claws unless you're absolutely sure you want to run a "CC at all costs" army. The Grey Hunters allow you a bit of leeway to make mistakes, whereas the Blood Claws seem like an extremely unforgiving and expensive unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

At 1000 pts, I'm not so sure about Thunderwolfs. They sound awesome, but can get expensive fast, and the fact you can't give each one power weaponry kinda smarts, since that would make the squad really worth their while. (3 of those guys charging across the field with frost axes or wolf claws would be really terrifying)

I would agree with the others that your base should be two full grey hunter squads. As for an HQ, the cheaper the better I would argue, but still grab some bang for your buck, either a Rune Priest or a Wolf Priest will do.

I would also argue a Long Fangs team would be great. Cheap access to missile launchers and the like is huge. I would suggest 2 MLs, 2 heavy bolters, and a plasma cannon for good measure. If you feel this won't give you enough anti-tank, then switch out a HB with a lascannon.

Or, you could deck them out real good with 1 lascannons, 1 plasma cannons, and 3 missile launchers (this will be able to handle pretty much any type of enemy they could come up with). A little more expensive, but well worth it.

I had been toying around with a 1000 point unit, making it very basic, here's what I came up with:
    Rune Priest w/ melta bombs
    2x 10 man grey hunter squads w/ powerfists (flamer + other special) (one gets a rhino, one gets a drop pod)
    Long fangs squad (lascannon, 3x ML, 1x Plasma C)
    Dreadnaught (assault cannon + cc + heavy flamer) in drop pod
    8 blood claws (1 w/ powerfist)

Cheap, but capable of handling vehicles and infantry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by DogofWar1 View Post
    At 1000 pts, I'm not so sure about Thunderwolfs. They sound awesome, but can get expensive fast, and the fact you can't give each one power weaponry kinda smarts, since that would make the squad really worth their while. (3 of those guys charging across the field with frost axes or wolf claws would be really terrifying)
    Hold on... you're advocating paying 105pts for a Rune Priest with Meltabombs, yet you WOULDN'T pay 80pts for a Thunderwolf with a Storm Hammer? Despite the fact the Thunderwolf has the same number of wounds, is T5 (and thus can only be Instant Deathed by S10 or force weapons), is S5 base (thereby making his Thunder Hammer hit at S10 ), can charge between 18 and 24", and has 5 attacks?

I know which one I'd prefer

Yes, Thunderwolf Cavalry seem expensive. That's because they're awesome. The reason the squad only gets one special CCW choice is because they only need one special CCW choice; all of their normal CC attacks are S5 Rending. I reckon they'd melt face at 1000pts; I mean, if you're going to pay 60pts for an MM/HB Speeder, why wouldn't you pay 80pts for a big man on a Wolf that is going to smash your head in with an electric hammer?

+ Reply to Thread