Questions about Codex:Space Wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Questions about Codex:Space Wolves

Hey guys, Im starting a space wolf army, and ive come across a few things im unsure of, so I thought id ask here so I can get some clarification:

1) Do the characters Rockfist and Lukas count as an extra kill point? I dont think they do, as they are upgrade characters and not Independant characters, but I thought id make sure.

2) Same question, but regarding Wolf Guard units split off to join other units.

3) If I have a 9 man Grey Hunter pack, and have a Wolf Guard split off to lead the unit, does the pack then count as a 10 man pack for the purposes of taking a second special weapon?

4) How does Ragnar's Insane Bravado rule work when he is leading a Blood Claw pack. Which rule triggers on the charge? Ragnar's rule or the Blood Claws berserk charge? Are they cumulative?

Thanks in advance guys!

~SR~

Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) No in the same the Telion doesn't they are a=upgrades not seperate units.

2) No they're count as one unit.

3) Nope you need 10 grey hunters

4) Ragnars work's over the bloodclaws as it states his unit, and until it's FAQed thats how I'd play it
    Some people are like slinkies...not really good for anything but still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
    Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed with above Thats why I run Ragnar with GH people hate a possible WS 4 S4 A5 unit swinging at them. then Ragnar can get up to 8 or 9 i think. and the Furious Charge rule that he bestows makes everybody hit first, in most situations.

Now that I think about it, do i have to activate Ragnars Howl power to get Furious Charge? or is it Auto on? It seems kinda ambiguous to me and my buddies.

Cheers

Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

As far as I can tell, Ragnar and the squad he is with always have furious charge. But once per game, you can declare that Ragnar is using his war howl to also give furious charge to all units within 12". So I guess you dont have to activate it as such, but you just have to declare when you use it to give other units the rule.

~SR~
    Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This raises an interesting question concering wolfguard. Since they are all one unit, do you not get the kill point until very wolfguard scattered throughout your army is killed?
    "Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men." - Jean Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Wolfgiuard who join a squad count as part of that squad for the game, so they need to be killed to get kp for new unit, and can hold objectives
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Shad0w_Reaper View Post
    Hey guys, Im starting a space wolf army, and ive come across a few things im unsure of, so I thought id ask here so I can get some clarification:

1) Do the characters Rockfist and Lukas count as an extra kill point? I dont think they do, as they are upgrade characters and not Independant characters, but I thought id make sure.

2) Same question, but regarding Wolf Guard units split off to join other units.

3) If I have a 9 man Grey Hunter pack, and have a Wolf Guard split off to lead the unit, does the pack then count as a 10 man pack for the purposes of taking a second special weapon?

4) How does Ragnar's Insane Bravado rule work when he is leading a Blood Claw pack. Which rule triggers on the charge? Ragnar's rule or the Blood Claws berserk charge? Are they cumulative?

Thanks in advance guys!

~SR~

1) unit upgrades do not grant additional kill points

2) If a WG unit is completely split off to other units, they themselves are not worth additional kill points, and once deployed are now treated in all respects as part of the original unit. If you leave any WG as a stand-alone unit, they themselves will be worth a kill point. Same logic as IG platoons, and SM combat squads.

3) No. You create the squads/list before assigning WG. They have to have 10 strong at creation. WG do not technically join the unit until you are making the deployment decisions (reserves, transports, IG platoons, squads, etc)

4) Ragnar joining a blood claw pack has several effects:
    a) the unit does not have to ignore firing if within 6" as they have been joined by an independent character
    b) the unit must charge if within 6" (Ragnar's rule)
    c) Ragnar rolls d3 on the charge, he must use what he rolls. Next is a bit iffy, but the unit gains d3 INSTEAD OF their normal +1 bonus. You can read this two ways: since they do not have a "usual +1" it would not replace. OR they give up their usual bonus and get d3 with only a 33% chance of actually netting an extra attack
    d) Counter-charge is treated as if you initiated a charge after passing a leadership test (now a 10 with Ragnar). On the counter-charge you would get d3 bonus attacks as the bloodclaw berserk does not grant +2 on a counter=charge, a restriction which is not listed on Ragnar's rules.
    Last edited by Torden; October 16th, 2009 at 16:31.
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Shad0w_Reaper View Post
    I'd say no, it's not cumulative, unless you think the designer's intention was to grant the Blood Claws 100+ attacks on the charge. I reckon Ragnar's rule should take precedence, although there's nothing saying you couldn't keep the +2A Charge for your Blood Claws and have Ragnar alone use his own rule.

Quote Originally Posted by omegoku View Post
    Wolfgiuard who join a squad count as part of that squad for the game, so they need to be killed to get kp for new unit, and can hold objectives
    They can if the unit they are attached to counts as scoring. If you have a Logan army (in which WG units count as Troops... not models, units) and split off a Wolf Guard to lead a unit of Long Fangs, he becomes a part of the Long Fangs unit, thus is a Heavy Support model, and thus isn't a scoring model.

If, however, you have an army without Logan and split a Wolf Guard off to lead a pack of Grey Hunters, that Wolf Guard would count as a scoring model even if all of the Grey Hunters were wiped out, because he'd still be a part of the GH unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Henshini View Post
    This raises an interesting question concering wolfguard. Since they are all one unit, do you not get the kill point until very wolfguard scattered throughout your army is killed?
    No; once the Wolf Guards are detached from their Pack they cease to count as members of that Pack, and instead count as upgrade characters for their new units for Kill Point purposes (which means you only get 1 KP for the WG leader AND his new Pack, because you don't get extra KP for upgrade characters). If all members of the Wolf Guard Pack are split off to lead squads the Pack simply ceases to exist as a unit in it's own right, though it still occupies the Force Org chart slot. This is basically how it worked in the old SW Codex, except the old book didn't require you to create a unit. You added Wolf Guard models to units in your army wherever you wanted them, and their inclusion used up a single Elite slot (whether you took 1 Wolf Guard or 20 ) .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Frank is correct, I expect the BC+Ragnar thing to be FAQ'd shortly, but I do not expect them to be cumulative.

On the other hand, if they did stack, you might actually have a reason to take BC's.
    Don't bother having anything more than meaningless small talk on this forum, the moderators won't allow it

+ Reply to Thread