Ravenwing squad size - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ravenwing squad size

so with the ravenwing squads is it better to have a squad of six, break them into 2 three bike squads or even take the full squad of 6 bikes, 1 attack bike and the land speeder? they have a few options and im just wondering what might be the most effective way to utilize them. is it worth it to just go ahead with the land speeder support squad? the army im building is a ravenwing/ deathwing mix, run the bikes so that the termies can teleport in close with the homing teleporters so they can get into the close combat.

Last edited by lash; October 19th, 2009 at 03:21.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

If you have a very small points limit and no problem with the FOC slots and want as many upgrade weapons on the bikes as possible, then taking the standard squads of three should suffice.
    Always take as many attack bikes though as you can get! They are cheaper than two bikes and have superior firepower over two bikes, while only losing one non-power weapon attack on the charge and having the theoretical risk of suffering instant kill. As Dark Angels you even get an extra (scoring) unit by buying them, though you lack the scout move with them...

Once the points limit rises you will have trouble kitting out your army without running short of some slots. If you're not too heavy on upgrade weapons but instead care to have some meat shields its always - even at low points limits - a good idea to take six bikes and combat squad them in objective missions while leaving the unit as a whole in kill point missions. It's more flexible that way and the extra bikes get cheaper too.
    Plus you can get the landspeeder then, which is a pretty good deal because it doesn't take up a fast attack slot.

So, seeing all that, my suggestion would be to go for full squads with Ravenwing in order to get some more bikes (because they get cheaper) and to get more landspeeders without taking squadrons of them.

If you take Ravenwing support squadrons: try to take single landspeeders as long as you can. If you have so many that you need to squad them up then make it two per squad at the most. I wouldn't take three, but maybe that's just me.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

It's a balancing act between the slots you have, how many KPs you want to run, how many scoring units you want to run and how light/heavy you are on guns.

Personally I'd run the big squads in 1500+ just because they're pretty hard, have good guns and an all Bike army is great for objectives even if you aren't stacked with Troops. That makes having very few KPs attractive.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

What I found really interesting as far as squads go, with bike bases, they are taking quite a bit more room than your regular 25mm base. Sometimes it will be hard to place your large squads they way you want and not block some other units from being useful. However, large squads give you the extra wounds around your upgraded characters/weapons too...

+ Reply to Thread