Fluffy Raven Guard Tactical Squad Weapons? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Fluffy Raven Guard Tactical Squad Weapons?

Hey everyone!

After a long time thinking and contemplating (and rethinking... and recontemplating...) I've decided to paint over my Iron Fists in favor of a fluffy Raven Guard Army.

I'm trying to focus on the rapid in-destroy vital target-rapid out method of fighting that the Raven guard employ, and outfit my units according to this method.

I'm as much a collector/painter as a player, so I like to have a full FOC to represent the fighting strength of the company. Mostly it won't all be played, but it's a nice goal I have to finish painting these guys, and effectively have the 3rd company (even if it isn't 100% correct). So, basically, I will have something like:

HQ
    Shrike
    Other commander (maybe bikes, maybe DP & Rhino) w/command squad
    ELITE
    Assault Terminators (teleport, maybe a LR)
    "Shrikes wing" (I don't know yet, don't ask - this unit is more for modelling than anything)
    TROOPS
    3 Tactical Squads (DR & Rhino)
    3 Scout Squads (Infiltrate to call in reinforcements, maybe Land Speed Storm)
    FAST ATTACK
    2 Assault Squads
    1 Land Speeder or Bike Squad (Un-decided as to the Raven Guards use of bikes)
    HEAVY SUPPORT
    2 Squads of Devastators (DP/Rhino)

So, in planning, I'm now at the point where i need to begin to dictate how the squads would be used.

For instance, I see the scouts as an infiltrating group that sneaks forward and selects targets, and therefore 2 squads would get sniper rifles/HB layouts, and the 3rd might get CCW/BPs to act as the sneaky assassin type squad.

Also, I see the assault squad as an targetted-infantry breaking squad. Therefore, I have outfit them with a Lightning Claw sergeant, and 2 flamers for special weapons in the squad. There purpose would be to select a squad of infantry and destroy them.

So now I'm on to the "elite" role of the tactical squad. In the codex, they are the best of the best, and would be given the hardest targets to destroy (I'm thinking things like terminators and vehicles, HQ squads, etc). They would often be deployed via Drop Pod, or in a mechanical rush of a rhino transport. I'm thinking the sergeant would get a powerfist and combi-weapon of some sort, but I'm stuck on what the rest of the squad should get outfit with in regards to their elite-breaking role.

So the question to you guys: What weapons would make a tactical squad fluffy in the Raven Guard the way I have envisioned them?

Thanks in advance for the help.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I say Meltaguns. Raven Guard hit fast and where it hurts, losing your armor REALLY hurts. That would let them use their famous speed and hit & run tactics to the fullest. It also helps when going toe to toe with elite units, like you said.

Plasma can fill a similar role but I think Melta is more practical and multi-use, which a hit and run army would really like. Just my opinion.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Definitely meltas, or flamers. Not plasma, as it's rapid fire and so you can't assault afterwards!
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

Since you're looking to roast hard targets probably the meltas.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For "Shrikes Wing" I suggest (yes, I'm serious. I know they are far from competitive) Vanguard Veterans in a Land Raider Crusader or Redeemer (as they can't use their special ability when a character joined them)
    Imho they fit perfectly. (again, I know they are crap competitive-wise)

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Y'he, the thing about Raven Guard is that they are a relatively codex chapter in terms of organization and what squads are outfitted with, so you really can't go wrong, regardless of your choices, especially when using fluff as your guide. I would personally recommend flamers and meltaguns, myself, because they are assault weapons, and they are cheap to give to a full ten man squad (not to mention, they are incredibly useful weapons when deployed in Rhinos or Drop Pods).

If you'd like some more personal advice (I'm unfortunately not on LO as much as I'd like to be lately, so I have a hard time being able to make some larger posts), feel free to toss me a PM or add me to MSN and I'd love to give you some advice on Raven Guard. They are still currently my one true passion in this game, from fluff to models, and it's always a pleasure to help new (and old!) Shadow Captains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Assault weapons - flamers, meltaguns. Plasma guns, not so much.

Meltaguns in your tactical and assault squads will help with anti-tank and can theoretically be used to take down hard infantry targets, such as nobz and terminators. If only we could take them in scout squads...
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

I figured meltas & flamers would be a pretty solid choice, but I wanted to make sure that i was going in the right direction in my mind. The issue with them being so codex is that it leaves so much fluff out in the open it's almost annoying to design from scratch... but then again, designing the company is half the fun.

While planning, in groups of 3, I tend to take 2 identical units and then the 3rd unit would be a different unit with a slightly different role on the battlefield (see below). I've been thinking about forcing myself to take non-identical units to add to a individuality of each unit in the army as I painted it, but I'm unsure.

Let's see; so to update the 6 troop choices, I'd have something like this

Troop 1-
    Assassin Scout Squad (Power fist/BP & CCWs & BPs and a Land Speeder Storm)
    Troop 2-
    Assassin Scout Squad (Power fist/BP & CCWs & BPs and a Land Speeder Storm)
    Troop 3-
    Advanced Scout Squad (Sniper Rifles & Missile Launcher, Teleport Homer)
    Troop 4 -
    Tactical Squad (Power Fist/Combi-Melta & Meltagun & Multi-Melta with a DP & Rhino)
    Troop 5 -
    Tactical Squad (Power Fist/Combi-Melta & Meltagun & Multi-Melta with a DP & Rhino)
    Troop 6 -
    Tactical Squad (Power Fist/Combi-Flamer & Flamer & ???Lascannon???Heavy Bolter??? with a DP & Rhino)

What do you guys think about this layout?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

For the last unit I'm thinking Missile Launcher. More templates. Or keep the Melta theme going with another MM. Raven Guard obviously hate armor more than anything. :p
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Personally for anti-tank, I always imagine Raven Guard being the "rush through the woodworks" commandos sort, and when a vehicle or bulkhead arrives, they just toss a meltabomb at it and keep going.

Honestly with the focus on mobility and deployment, I'd consider skipping heavy weapons all together and just rush everything you've got. You can't fire heavy weapons after deep striking, and really I feel that you should just start moving as soon as you can after that point anyway.

As for the Land speeders v.s. Bikes, Both have their place really, though deep-striking tornados can really ruin somebody's day. Consider also that with Land speeder storms for two squads, that's two of your Fast Attack slots that are being taken.

As for special weapons, I see no reason why Raven Guard wouldn't take Plasma guns, drop pod DSing next to heavy infantry/ MCs/ Light vehicles and double tapping them with plasma is not something they will enjoy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast