a little help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a little help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a little help

So my buddy and I walked into GW a few weeks ago. He played 40k before and ive always had a interest in it. anyways we pick up 2 black reach boxes. im space marines now.
    jump forward 3 weeks and heres my army list any additions or suggestions would be nice. i like the gw employees but they try to sell you the entire store. so help from players would be nice.

2x 10 man basic marine squads
    2x captains
    2x terminator squads
    2x dreadnoughts
    2x devastator squads
    3x scout sniper squads
    1x telion
    1x master of the forge on bike

um anything else would be nice and for Apocalypse i have a bane hammer.
    any suggestions helpful including if i broke rules here. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Hey there Claytor. First of all, welcome to WH40K, LO and especially the Space Marine community!

Your list suffers one basic problem that most new players have (including myself) - you have a little bit of everything with no real focus. Write up a couple of small lists using what you have so far (750 points and 1000 points) get down to your local club/GW and play some games. Smaller games are ideal to learn the rules, the strengths and weaknesses of various units and vice versa for other armies (I find 500 points a bit boring, but thats just me. Don't let that stop you!).

Base these small lists around 1 Captain and 2 ten man Tactical squads. This is a basic, solid core for any list. Then add some scouts, or some dreads, or your termies. Mix and match, watch, play and learn. Its fun to design huge lists based around a particular theme, but once you buy all the models and play a game with them....you'll find that you've made some fundamental errors due to simple lack of experience (speaking from first hand experience here).

Mix and match equipment in your squads - power fists on your sergeants and melta guns in your tacticals seem to work well against anyone. Missile launchers are also a good all round choice. Transports are essential - get some rhinos for your tacticals, and later on a land raider for your termies perhaps (Nothing cooler than a squad of terminators bursting out of a land raider and assaulting some poor unit, I LOVE it.)

Once you've played a few games with different units, not only will you have learnt what your marines are capable of, you will also find you may enjoy a particular style of play (e.g. bikes, termies, fast, mechanized). You can then use your knowledge, experience, and help from the Space Marine community here to build some killer lists around your favourite units/themes.

Trust me, its better to take your time and learn the ropes. I'm sorry I've just realised this is a lot to take in, but all the same, hope it helps.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I'd keep it simple to start, buy 2 Rhinos for your Tactical Squads. Two mounted Troops plus that nice Scout squad is a great base. The MotF on Bike keeps that going, he can keep up with those Rhinos and provide fire/CC support.

Once you've got that you can decide where you want to go. Maybe use those Termie Squads as Deep Striking fire support, or add Drop Pods to the Dreadnoughts for aggressive tank busters.

The common tie in is transports, Marines love transports.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks and ive played some games and lost but still learning and did decent with 1000 points against some Nids. and thanks for welcoming me. for my thousand points heres what i ran

2x 5 man squads
    1x termies
    1x dreadnought
    2x scout snipers with cam cloaks
    1x telion
    1x devestator squad

it held up pretty well the snipers and devs took down 3 carnifexes though was torn by the last one and well it seems to be solid but i do need transports now should i go rhinos or razorbacks?

and as for looking at army lists i get lost because i dont know what i need or want. i like keeping a distance and i kind of want a whirlwind or thunderfire cannon
    "With my freeze ray..ill freeze...the world"
    Crimson Fists- 2W/3D/2L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I'd go Rhinos for Troops, Razorbacks for specialty units. Devs aren't amazing most of the time, Vindicators, Whirlwinds etc. do more damage but as long as you have them roll with them.

Transports are good for staying back, you can keep running away. :] Land Speeders might be something you'd like as well, fast, cheap, shooty with good range.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

someone mentioned them and i dont know i like the normal one but do i want a storm i mean they can transport my scouts and can you fire from transports? and how do you quick reply?
    Crimson Fists- 2W/3D/2L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

You can fire all your guns out of it because it's open topped but if it moves the squad counts as moving, so bad for Snipers. It's best with CC scouts and a teleport homer for Termies.

The Speeders with HF and something else is a really good buy, an under-used unit.

Edit: Quick reply? I get emails when there's a reply and I leave my email open a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats a HF? and im still new haha im learning all the lingo i can but ive been thinking about speeders and maybe dropping for assault termies and a chaplain to have some CC stuff

edit: i got quick reply down thanks i just had to click a button
    Last edited by claytor22; October 22nd, 2009 at 05:53.
    Crimson Fists- 2W/3D/2L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

Heavy Flamer, my bad. You never want to Deep Strike combat units, that's a mistake a lot of new players make. The problem with it is they're helpless for a turn, often near MANY guns. A guy dropped 10 Termies and a Chaplain on me and all the did was kill 10 Guardsmen. Ow.

DS Termies with Cyclone Launchers or Assault Cannons, rip up a squad or a tank and than wade into CC. Much better idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not a bad idea that and would save me some money, hmm what can you DS without a drop pod though? or do you need a drop pod to DS? sorry if im asking too many questions.
    Crimson Fists- 2W/3D/2L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast