Need help on selecting an assassin - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Need help on selecting an assassin

CCS
    3 Flamers, Regimental Standard
    Power Weapon, bolt pistol
    cloaks, astropath
    -142-

Marbo

Vet Sniper Squad
    3x snipers, autocannon, forward sentries
    -125-

Vet Sniper Squad
    3x snipers, autocannon, forward sentries, sgt. w/melta bombs
    -130-

Vet Scout Squad
    Harker, 3x grenade launchers, heavy bolter
    -150-

Vet Plasma Squad
    3x plasma, demolitions
    Chimera
    -200-

Melta Vets
    3 meltas, powerfist
    Chimera
    -170-

Al'Rahem's Platoon: 405
    Command
    Al'Rahem, 4x flamers
    -120-
    Chimera w/heavy flamer
    Squad A: melta
    -60-
    Chimera w/heavy flamer
    Squad B: melta
    -60-
    Chimera w/heavy flamer[/B

Banewolf

Demolisher x2
    -330- (not squadroned)

[B]Hydra x2
    -150-

Ok, Here's my more competitive basic build for my tanith army (based around Heredor). The units in italics are the disposable units I am looking to switch in every now and then to change things up for fun.

The first is a squad of sisters in a valkyrie, doesn't fit into the theme as well, but I want to paint an inquistor valkyrie and I got a new box of sisters. Given my army list above, how should I equip the sisters and which unit should I replace?

The second is including an imperial assassin. I'm pretty certain the inquisitor lord will be used to represent the saint, I'll prob just be giving her a psychic hood, and I'm leaning on making her a witch hunter Inq. and giving her the divine pronouncement psychic power (auto leadership check), I'd then have a HB gun servitor retinue.

But which assassin should I use? Either the callidus to be a loose representation of MkVenner, which will be a nice 1-2 punch with Marbo (Mkoll), or a vindicare which will be a much more likely representation of Larkin (which could help out Marbo as well).

Again, given my list above which would fit better thematically (most important) as well as gel with the rest of my army (2nd most important)

Last edited by MadLarkin; October 28th, 2009 at 03:28.
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

i don't know what your on about the characters in the brackets. but the eversor with it's max 10 attacks on the charge is very nice. especially when he blows up when he dies . he's the best assassin for hitting lone units and one of the best for points. anything else is asking for a more specific role.
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

184 (x5)

Point per point, the callidus by far gives the best deal. The runner up would have to be the evisor. The others aren't worth it in my opinion, too unreliable and selective.

As for the sisters, I have no idea.

Though as a comment, I'd give the CCS something other than flamers. It's a shame to wasting that BS4. Power sword isn't worth it and the bolt pistol is points filler.

Snipers suck as well, pinning and rending aren't reliable, give them something better.

Banewolf, demos, and hydras are sexy.

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

It's a Tanith army so the snipers and the bolt pistol/power sword (Gaunt) are for fluff reasons and I'm not looking for a super power build, I've done well with a similar army that had a whole lot more points sinks (like a pask vanq. w/plasma cannons and I had a CCS and a Commissar lord).

I've always wanted to try some allies within my list so here's the list with the sisters, I figure I go with flamers since I get the extra AT of the vendetta but lose the templates from the banewolf.

CCS
    3 plasmas, Regimental Standard
    cloaks, astropath
    -172-

Marbo

Vet Sniper Squad
    -130-

Vet Sniper Squad
    -130-

Vet Scout Squad
    -150-

Melta Vets
    3 meltas, powerfist
    Chimera
    -170-

Aduptus Soriatus
    9x battle sisters, flamer, heavy flamer
    1 vet. sister superior w/book of st. lucius, combi-flamer, frag
    -158-

Command
    Al'Rahem, 4x flamers
    -120-
    Chimera w/heavy flamer
    -60-
    Chimera w/heavy flamer
    -60-
    Chimera w/heavy flamer

Vendetta

Demolisher x2
    -330- (not squadroned)

Hydra x2
    -150-

And here's my go at including an inquistor/assassin.

CCS
    3 Flamers, Regimental Standard
    cloaks, astropath
    -142-

Inquisitor Lord
    Psychic Hood, Divine Pronouncement, Auspex, bolt pistol
    3 Gun Servitors
    -143-

Marbo

Callidus or Vindicare

Vet Sniper Squad
    3x snipers, autocannon, forward sentries
    -125-

Vet Scout Squad
    -150-

Vet Plasma Squad
    3x plasma, demolitions
    Chimera
    -200-

Melta Vets
    3 meltas, powerfist
    Chimera
    -170-

Command
    Al'Rahem, 4x flamers
    -120-
    Chimera w/heavy flamer
    -60-
    Chimera w/heavy flamer
    -60-
    Chimera w/heavy flamer[/B

Demolisher x2
    -330- (not squadroned)

Hydra x2
    -150-
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

The Eversor is the only good assassin. Everyone likes Callidus but it's useless against armor and isn't very good against full units. They only have a 4+ save and 2 wounds after all.

Eversors can Outflank or Infiltrate if you get first turn. They can kill armor (Meltabombs), MCs (4+ wound glaive) or full units (high attack number and power weapon). He's also the cheapest, easy call.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Senior Member Inquisitor_Naravus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Chainfist has some great assassin tactica. I'd experiment with each and see what you like/fits your playstyle.

-Nara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a fun list! Sisters was my first army and I'm branching into IG, so I'm also thinking about allying. I'm not sure about walking your sisters in the first list...they'll have a tough time flaming anything before they get assaulted, or if you're playing non CC, they'll have a tough time catching up to flame anything. You might consider putting them in a rhino. I've seen a bunch of people ally seraphim as well. IMO they are the best to ally, some potential for squad killing with 2 flamers or tank hunting with 2 TL infernos.

On the second list if you're just getting the inq for the assassin, I would get the elite version. Saves you a bunch of points for something that does exactly the same thing. You can even keep your 3 gun servitors! On the assassin question, I would probably lean toward the eversor. Like the Prince said, he's cheap and has a lot of utility. The Vindicare on the other hand also comes in handy, especially the fact that he can choose which target to hit within the squad, AND he can shoot into close combat!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

184 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Asharoth View Post
    On the second list if you're just getting the inq for the assassin, I would get the elite version. Saves you a bunch of points for something that does exactly the same thing. You can even keep your 3 gun servitors! On the assassin question, I would probably lean toward the eversor. Like the Prince said, he's cheap and has a lot of utility. The Vindicare on the other hand also comes in handy, especially the fact that he can choose which target to hit within the squad, AND he can shoot into close combat!
    Problem is that you are only able to ally 0-1 Elites so in order to take the assassin you are required to take the Inquisitor Lord.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second the Eversor as a good assassin. Vinidcare is way overpriced. But, if you rake a psyker squad, you need, and I mean need, a callidus.

Use Weaken Resolve to lower enemy LD to 2, then instant death them with the str 8 neural shredder. Ever notice a C'tan doesn't have Eternal Warrior?

It's also great against multiwound models like Nob Bikers or anything of the sort.

Culexus is good too if you fill up your elite slots with Psyker Squads - 18 psykers + 1 primaris psyker gets him a STR5 AP1 Assault 21 weapon.
    My avatar is from when I tried to draw myself in MSpaint a year or so ago.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

i doubt you can instant death them. you can only instant death something squishy if the S of your weapon is doulbe the Toughness of the target. the neural shredder wounds units or IC by using their Leadership to wound them. so i don't think he can really instant death anything.
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast