Interested in 40k IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interested in 40k IG

Hi all I have been playing Fantasy for about a year now and a couple friends and I are thinking of doing 40k. Now if any of you play Fantasy you'll know that there is a huge curve between teams. (*cough VC, DE cough*) I was just curious if 40k had the same problem? If so how does the IG fair? I want to be competitive but dont want to be overpowered. Thanks in advance!!!

PS Also I see some pictures of IG w/ *gas masks* on their faces where do I find these models? Thanks!

Armies: 40k: Imperial Guard, Orks Fantasy: Skaven

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40k is relatively balanced. A few armies aren't that competitive (Necrons, DH arguably, Tau arguably, DE arguably), but for the most part it's good. Just stay with the mainstream-ish codexes and don't use the ones from 10 years ago and you should be good.

IG are definitely up in the top tier I think, but just so you know they're very expensive. A 1000 point army could run you over $200, even with all the good deals online and whatnot.
    My avatar is from when I tried to draw myself in MSpaint a year or so ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its all worth it though. Every last dollar.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x3)

I was lucky and bought most of my infantry a few years ago when they were cheaper

You can cut costs by fielding veterans instead of huge infantry platoons.

Imperial guard can be very powerful, but at times very vulnerable. I.E. most of them suck in close combat, despite good guns. There are of course a few exceptions(ahhh, Colonel Straken!).

The guard with gasmasks you saw are probably the Steel Legion. You can order these from GW via the web. You do get some gasmasks in the cadian command squad set though. There is a guy on this forum who converted his own steel Legion. Have a look for it.
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by HAB_Incognito View Post
    Hi all I have been playing Fantasy for about a year now and a couple friends and I are thinking of doing 40k. Now if any of you play Fantasy you'll know that there is a huge curve between teams. (*cough VC, DE cough*) I was just curious if 40k had the same problem? If so how does the IG fair? I want to be competitive but dont want to be overpowered. Thanks in advance!!!

PS Also I see some pictures of IG w/ *gas masks* on their faces where do I find these models? Thanks!
    These Guard models with gas masks are either Steel Legion or Death Korps. I plan on making a Death Korps army in the (relatively) near future myself, but I don't believe they're a very competitive tournament list since they're fairly immobile. Steel Legion are hard to get and would be fairly costly, Death Korps are Forge World only and ruinously expensive (but gorgeous!).

Death Korps are found here: Forge World DEATH KORPS OF KRIEG

Steel Legion are here: Games Workshop

There is the same curve between armies in 40k, to a degree. I don't think the game is broken but the balance is certainly not perfect. If you demand perfect balance I'd say play chess, but even there the game slightly favours one colour at each level of competition.

IG are a great army, I'm an Eldar player for the most part currently but the Guard were my first army and I've always loved them. Currently, a mechanized Guard army is a thing not to be trifled with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

The balance in 40k is a lot better than Fantasy at present. Only a handful of armies can't compete: Tyranids, Necrons, and maybe pure Inquisition (mitigated by allies). IG are solid, but far from overpowered.

Gas mask fellows would be DKOK or Steel Legion. Both are pretty pricey, but look great. To keep costs down, using Veterans instead of normal infantry so you won't have to field 100s of models.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

You can also purchase Cadian Respirator packs from Forge World but at a steep 16.95 pounds for 10 and that's not including the miniatures for the squad itself. Forge World CADIAN SHOCK TROOPS
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

You can also get seperate Gas Masked heads that will fit 40k sized models from Pig Iron Productions, here: Head Sprues : Pig Iron Productions, 28mm Gaming Minatures

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I would rank the Guard as more competitive than most Space Marines but less competitive than Orks and Eldar. Most players build their lists to fight Marines and equivalents such as Necrons, which gives the Guard a natural advantage in addition to our strengths of high body count and the best battle tanks available. If you're thinking of playing Guard, know that we're the most defensive army in 40k--we can survive almost any attack and outlast almost any enemy but we're rather weak in advancing to new ground. If your playstyle favors careful deployment and conservative strategies (and you don't mind painting a lot of models) then the Guard will be a strong choice for you.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can also purchase seperate gasmask heads from West Wind Productions

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast