Death Korps worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death Korps worth it?

Hey guys. Well long story short I've decided to get back into playing after 2 years and after looking around I've settled on the Imperial Guard, and looking into it, I'm considering to go The Death Korps of Krieg. However, a friend of mine told me that they aren't worth it due to the fact they are expensive as hell (noted) and that they break a lot easier then the standard Cadian guardsmen plastics, or any other plastics in warhammer 40k. Is this true and maybe some advice on what to get to start out (considering a infantry horde or most likely a mechanized w/chimeras). Thnx for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

The forgeworld Death Korps are indeed more expensive but the models are excellent. They are a little more delicate than plastics but nit overly so if you look after them. The mose irritqating thing about them is the bent lasguns you orfen get but they are relatively simple to striaghten out in hot water before you stick them together.

An all infantry DKOK list will cost a fortune but if you take a mechanised army you can get away with 45-65 models.

Your basics for a mechanised army should be

Company HQ with chimera
    3 Veteran squads with 3 meltas/plasmas and chimeras

Then add russ, hellhounds and artillery to taste with an extra troop choice kicking in above 1000 points.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Death Korps models are really nice. They're only fragile if you enjoy dropping them. Remember that pinning resin can really help hold it together much better. I pin every single resin model I own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It didn't strike me as worth it to get the DKOK if you're going to mech up...why have such awesome infantry models if they're likely to spend a large chunk of the time off the table? Seems like a mech-ed up guard army with Vets in Chimeras and then other tanks would look the same on the table whether the guys "in" the transports were Cadians or DKOK. You'd only really see the DKOK if your transports get blown up or on your display board.

That having been said, they do look awesome, but it's something to consider. If your picture of IG involves tanks on the table and few to no dudes, no reason to get fancy dudes. Get fancy tanks. OTOH, if you like the dudes out on the table, taking orders and all that, then that's a different story. And you don't have to run ALL infantry...you could still have tanks in your other slots, and the DKOK on the ground, and it wouldn't be a horrendous number of resin guys to geet.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

You can do a similar army for less. A friend of mine has converted his DKoK by putting gas mask heads on Cadian models and modifying their guns.

Have a look:

Last edited by SandWyrm; November 13th, 2009 at 07:51. Reason: Fixed Pic Link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think they are worth it. Sure they are nice but the are not THAT nice.
    Converting your imperial guard force with gasmask or coats yourself will make them more personal and still cost less.

Death Korps have turnbacks on their coats too.

+ Reply to Thread