Sternguard question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sternguard question

i am not what you would call the most expirienced player gamewise, but i am in love with sternguard, unfortunatly for me the player i play against most usualy destroys them before they can perform to there full potential. i am curently trying to make a solid mid-long range sm army using pedro and concentraiting on sternguard, i have seen that most people use them in drop pods, i at the moment usualy keep the majority of my forces stationary shooting wating for the enemy to advance, but any advise on how to use a sternguard based army to greater advantage would be greatly apreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use a very similar army to yours with the exception that mine are in rhinos. how many games have you played with them? mine didn't play well the first 3 times but ever since theyre my allstars. try keep you other units in front so when the oppenents lines hit yours youre sternguard should be fine for 2 to 3 turns best of luck mate
    Phantom Fists- 1000-1500 3/4/3 (DIY CHAPTER)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by rorshach View Post
    i use a very similar army to yours with the exception that mine are in rhinos. how many games have you played with them? mine didn't play well the first 3 times but ever since theyre my allstars. try keep you other units in front so when the oppenents lines hit yours youre sternguard should be fine for 2 to 3 turns best of luck mate
    All stars every game? My Sternguard overall seem to preform about average, there is hardly ever any even ground with them as they either decimate my opponent or prove themselves to be a major waste of points, after drop podding in. Given that drop podding leaves a little much to chance, as the scatter roll can i8ther make or break their effectiveness I find the secret to using them correctly is target selection. They usually will only get off one major salvo before the unit is crippled so make it count.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

I've heard that drop-podding them gives them at least one turn of uninterrupted shooting, with any one of their ridonculous ammo types.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

With pedro the sternies aren't troops, just scoring, which is a double edged sword. take 2 tactical squads, and then probably 2 squads of 10 in rhinos each. then take a unit of between 5-10 and stick them in drop pods. I would also recommend having at least a couple of extra pods to come down (maybe with dreanoughts or something heavy), so if the ground is not too favorable to sternguard on turn one you have some time to split up the enemy before the drop.

You'll have plenty of scoring, both defense (2 tactical squads, as well as the two rhino sqauds in a pinch), and plenty of offense (1 pod squads and the rhinos moving forward too). add in some heavier guns and you'll be set.

i've seen it work fairly well against a pretty fair number of opponents, depending on what you fill out the rest of the list with, which also depends on point values.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well this will be for a 1750 point army i am curently debating weather to keep it all infantry or add in some mech you can have a look at my initial ideas for the list in the army list section any advise on what do drop/add tio the list is welcomed.
    If thou doesnt know me, i suggest thou learn before thine untimely death...

6000+ -crimson avengers with about 5000 GK and other bits and bobs for fun :)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Here are some ideas to consider. Sternguard are good, but they still die if you don't roll 3's. They are also scary as hell to most armies! That means no one will walk closer to them if you give them a more attractive option. Example: "Would you like to walk to your almost-certain death?" Answer: "No thank you." In other words, don't sit and wait for dummies to walk into your field of fire. Take your field of fire and stick it on the dummies and DESTROY THEM.

Because they are so scary, they tend to draw a lot of fire, so you need to present your opponent with a series of simultaneous threats to force them to make some decisions. For example, an army I played with a lot this year had 3 drop pods. In turn one I brought in an Ironclad in one DP and 5 sternguard in another (sometimes with a librarian with the AP3 flamer). At the same time I surge forward with my Vindicator, a rhino full of Tacticals, and a Landraider carrying Vulkan and 5 TH/SS termies. My opponent then has to make some hard choices about what to shoot.

I almost never deploy the sternguard alone. They (like almost all units) require some support. I bring them down next to something nasty I want killed and if they do their job then die then I am happy with that. Usually they live at least a few turns. The point here, though, is don't leave them all alone. Give them some support! Like an ironclad, or long range shooting or an assault squad nearby...

I hope this stuff helps you use your sternguard to better results...
    ----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisop View Post
    well this will be for a 1750 point army i am curently debating weather to keep it all infantry or add in some mech you can have a look at my initial ideas for the list in the army list section any advise on what do drop/add tio the list is welcomed.
    Add some mech! You live longer and can move much faster to control or contest objectives.
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Always give them some support. I.e., don't drop pod them by themselves, or unload them out of a transport alone. Keep another unit nearby. I use a dread to support one of my tacticals. If someone is closing in on your squad, your dread can charge out and shoot/flame them then charge them. If someone has already assaulted you, then your dread can join in next turn and bring some pain. Or if your sternguard have been wiped out, shoot the hell out of them then assault. Make them pay for having a go at your squad, and if they die, it will not have been in vain.

Also, when unloading from transports, try and position them so that the least amount of enemies have LoS while still allowing you to shoot your target, if possible.

+ Reply to Thread