Librarium Online Forums banner

TW Cavalry & Rending RAW

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Frank Fugger 
#1 ·
Hello people! I'd like to bring a rather interesting point into your attention. As the Thunderwolves were discussed earlier in this thread: http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/space-marines/180942-thunderwolves-raw-discussion.html a rather interesting point was mentioned by LastDinosaur and I quote him here as taken from his post (#21)

Actually a thunderwolf does NOT come as part of neither Canis' nor the Cavalrys wargear, look again..

Canis have Fangir which, while fluff-wise IS a thunderwolf, is not a thunderwolf wargear..
The thunderwolf cavalry are just cavalry with an exceptional statline.
In codex space marines (haven't been bothered to look elsewhere) all the units with brackets have a 'Space Marine bike' amongst their wargear.

There's no "evidence" whatsoever as to how the -wargear- "thunderwolf" works as no models in the codex have it..

Now I want to remind you that I and jy2 (thank you!) are only talking about the RAW.. As was the point of this thread, hence its title =)
So, as thunderwolf mounts are quite obviously NOT a piece of wargear for Thunderwolf Cavalry (SW Codex p.90, go see for yourselves) RAW... The TWC have got Rending attacks with ALL of their close combat attacks. Yes, RAW, this means they've got Rending Power Weapons, Wolf Claws, Frostblades, Powerfists and Thunderhammers (not that the last two really need the rule...)

This makes the Frostblade/axe a very viable option for TWC. No loss of initiative and you can still crack open the toughest of tanks.

So... I dare you to prove me wrong using RAW! (common sense and logic are forbidden =P ) The FAQ will probably do it, but until then... Enjoy the close combat Assault Cannon Equivalent! (also known as ACE)

#2 ·
I don't have my SW codex with me, but if you look under the Thunderwolf mount in the Wargear section, it says something to the effect that they get rending attacks only if they're not using special close combat weapons or something like that. That means no rending if they get power weapons, frost blades, etc.

#3 ·
yes that is right jy2 but that is not his argument. Thunderwolf cavalry do not have thunderwolf mounts listed on their wargear so why would the rules for thunderwolf mounts apply to them? It simply states that they have rending close combat attacks nothing else. No limits on them being used in conjuction with other close combat weapons or anything of that nature which leaves the only argument against making the frost weapon rending is that the codex doesn't say you can which is a pretty weak argument in and of itself. I think this will be nerfed in the faq but until then with RAW i think you can apply the rending to the weapons you buy for your TWC.

#4 ·
I play it that special CCWs like Thunder Hammers and whatever don't Rend, because that's what it says in the wargear thing. Plus there's only one special weapon per squad so it's hardly a big deal.

The OP is right, though; by RAW, models in a TWC unit can Rend with their special CCWs. Against non-vehicles it doesn't matter because their special weapons are all powered anyway, but against vehicles it could potentially make Frost Blades and Axes pretty cool. Don't see much point in using it with a power weapon or Wolf Claws because they're just base S5, unless you're rerolling to hit with the Claws or something.

Canis is a different case altogether. I reckon there's a 50/50 chance they'll FAQ the Rending Thunder Hammers out of TWC units, but I reckon Canis' Wolf Claws will continue to Rend as they do at the moment. Canis does technically have a Thunderwolf Mount so the wargear scrip should apply, but he also has two Wolf Claws and no regular CCW or Pistol weapon to use instead; which makes his "Rending" special rule pointless, unless his Claws are supposed to Rend.

#5 ·
If that's the case, as long as there is nothing under the TWC entry that limits their rending to normal cc weapons, then by RAW their frost blades or pfists or thunderhammers do get the rending rules. Hardly surprising as Bloodcrushers also have S6 power weapons (w/Furious Charge) that can also rend. Just a little bonus until the FAQ comes out.

#9 ·
That's a moot point. In order to rend, you need to roll 16 (6+1O), which already penetrates armor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.