Lysander and a Devastator Squad. A Good Idea? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lysander and a Devastator Squad. A Good Idea?

A quick question: Would a full strength Devastator Squad with 4 heavy bolters and a sergeant with a storm bolter and Lysander attached be good? I'm just curious, because I recently acquired Lysander and I thought this up so I could milk as much out of his Bolter Drill ability as possible. To add to effectiveness, you could drop these guys behind a piece of cover near the center and use Lysander's Bolster Defences ability on it.

When you fail to drink the Banana of Plasma, succeed in eating the Coffee Bean of Truth

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While this is a good use of Bolter Drill, I find that Drop Podding him in with some Sternguard and using HFR on whatevers close is much more effective. Lysander's place is at the front of the army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Both sound like great ideas, but leaving a 200 point HQ babysitting a Dev squad seems like a waste to me. Rerolling rapid fire HFR hits then wounding on 2+? Dayum.

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

You don't need Lysander in your squad to make use of his bolster defenses. And you can't just take any cover, it has to be a ruin in your deployment zone (page 71, Codex: Space Marines).

I agree that paying for Lysander to have him sit back with a dev squad is a waste. The bolter drill is nice, but it only boosts to 133.3% effectiveness. For the points for Lysander you could have a second devastator squad with eight guys and four heavy bolters, boosting your performance to 200%.

Lysander can be an awesome HQ. But he should be somewhere in the midst of battle. Dropping him with sternguard really is usually the one of the best uses for him.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Rerolling the to-hits for Vengence rounds is quite handy too - gets rid of those nasty 1s
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You make good points. So it'd be better to stick him with a Sternguard is the general consenseus?
    When you fail to drink the Banana of Plasma, succeed in eating the Coffee Bean of Truth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

With Sternguard > Devs.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Sternguard are a good squad to dump lysander with, but I feel lysander's playstyle doesn't suit him being with them - I would much rather place him with a terminator squad where he can maximise his abilities in CC as oppose to being a 200 excuse for stenguard.

Sternguard don't actually need the sort of support lysander provides, terminators (somewhat ironically) do.

Besides, bolter drill only exists as a callback to when he was a sargeant in the 3rd ed codex.

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

I disagree with The_Outsider's statement of Lysander not fitting well with sternguard.
    Drop podding sternguard are stuck on their own for some time. This is where having Lysander with them is bliss. He can soak wounds (especially those dangerous AP3 and AP2 wounds: instantkill isn't an issue, he has plenty of wounds to lose, and he has awesome saves) against ranged attacks, and he can really give the unit an edge when they get tied up in close combat, what smart opponents will like to do.

Drop podding in, vengeance-rapid-firing MEQ (reducing the chance of losing a model from 1/18th per shot to 1/54th per shot, killing 8.89 on average, then having Lysander to take melta-, plasma-, laser-, krak- or whatever wounds to weather the enemy shooting phase, and then having a squad with two attacks base, powerfist on the sergeant and a high-WS, high-A TH/SS terminator to throw back any attackers...
    IF I'd use Lysander, I'd not know why not to use him in that way. A squad of assault terminators gains nothing from him except another model.

But of course in general the issue is non-existant: HQs in general are over-priced. Most only have one because it is compulsory. And if you have sternguard you may be better off with Pedro instead. There is a lot of reasons for taking specific HQs: captains on bikes to be able to have bikes on troops and maybe command squads. Librarians in order to have a psychic hood and maybe psychic powers like null zone or gate of infinity. Chaplains to seriously boost close combat units or as cheapest possible commanders. Etc... But out of all the "bad" HQ choices (as I said I think they are all over-priced) Lysander confers no bonus that would make him a necessity, as such I probably would just not use him at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Although be it an expensive unit, I got the most out of lysander when I deep struck 10 terminators in with him. the only things that couldn't use bolter drill were the assault cannons. killed a bunch of chaos with storm bolters .

+ Reply to Thread