When should troop choices use flamers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

When should troop choices use flamers?

Good morning!

With the many boxes of plastic, a IG player buys, I'm gathering quite a collection of flamers.

Is there any use for them in an IG force? If so, what?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

So far, I've found two uses for them:

A PCS w/ 4 flamers in a chimera makes a nice unit, especially if the chimera has a heavy flamer on the front (which it should).

A SWS w/ 3 flamers or 2 flamers and a demo charge makes a cheap alternative to vets if you slap it in a valk.

You could put them in other spots of course but Iw ould say these are best.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

The only time i really use Flamers is in PCS/SWS squads. There is no real need for them on Infantry.

If you're on foot with a Flamer then you'll be lucky to fire it once. So you mount them to make them more effective. But then you can have a Heavy Flamer on your Chimera for free which makes taking flamers pointless. It's a conundrum.

Having said that i have a Vet Squad with 3 Flamers, a Power Fist and Demolitons and it is a star performer. On paper it looks silly but it can cope with anything from Drop podding dreadnaughts to Swarms of nids and can even deal with Marine squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

If you've got BS3 and can take a lot, go for it. Massed flamers kill just about anything.

Or if you just have 5 points to spare, go for it.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And for clearing out bugs in buildings...

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Unless it's a mounted SWS, PCS or CCS leave Flamers at home. Platoon Squads, even mounted ones, are rarely used aggressively so it's wasted cost. Veterans aren't so bad but you're wasting the BS4.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Like previously mention the "Flaming Chimera O' Doom" PCS w/4 Flamers in a Chimera Hull HF.

If you are playing Mech, then you can also take a normal squad in a Chimera with a Flamer and Heavy Flamer. Still cheap, doesn't need good BS, and can even take out plenty of Marines.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 2 Flamers in my CCS (a waste of BS4 perhaps) but it is just incase any bugs creep on me, I wouldnt consider putting them in line squads as borak says you'll be lucky to fire once, my grenade launchers on the other hand, usually end up with the barrels falling off through over use.

If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Well, I have an entire pltoon with no heavy weapons, but a flamer in each of the five squads, and they make a giant blob squad led by a commissar...i find that they work well...when the flamers are out front...but I am a bit unorthadox in my playing style
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Superflat Monogram Sayomi Akimoto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

I myself go for a half/half mixture of flamers and grenade launchers in my platoon squads. I know for a fact that eventually, they will get charged. I also know that on occasion the quad flamer platoon command squad just won't cut it, as surprising as that sounds.

Thus, like any commander who places little value on the lives of his men, I put the grenade launcher armed squads in front of the flamer armed squads. When they eventually get charged, its the front wall of flesh that gets killed, which leaves the remainder to scourge and purge.

Although, to be honest, there has never been a time where I regretted taking a flamer, but there have been many times where I regret not having one.

The launcher is only of moderate use against vehicles and a minor annoyance to mobs. The flamer on the other hand, although useless against anything farther than the flame template, ensures that in the eventuality things get close, things get cooking.

If I am lucky, the launcher kills a few models, maybe disables a truck, but that's where it usually stops doing stuff for me. On the other hand, the flamer always earns back the points wasted to get the opposing squad in position and quite a bit of change afterwards.

They're a big target that yells 'Please assault me!'

As the platoon doesn't have awesome vehicular manslaughter to keep it out of harms reach, counter units are an unfortunate necessity. While many call it wasteful, I really can't think of any better options available to a platoon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast