Question about painting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about painting

Hi

Im painting my figures in white scars theme and Im having trouble gettinga really nice pure white finish on them - I live in UK so any suggestions of decent paint to buy would be great thanks.

Im surrently using the citadel skull white spray but I find this to be very powdery and even tthen the white is not a nice bright white it seems a little dull.

I also have the skull white paint but I find this doesnt really improve it all that much.

I was wondering is there a spray people know works really well that gives a really nice bright pure white finish? I find the black spray works so much better but obvously tahts no good for me

failing that in the shop they say there is a white foundation in the paints box set but its £30 and I wanted to knwo of there is another cheaper option first.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I know you can buy the foundation paints individually, i've got a couple. Dont let the GW staffers convince you to buy the whole set unless you really want to.

The only white i've painted is on terminators helmets. I use skull white thinned down with water, and several thin coats rather than one thick job. Eventually comes out ok.

The dedicated painting section might get you more informed replies, or you could search it for similar queries. Good luck with the White Scars Raihani.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah you can buy all individually except white

having used both would you say the foundation white is a more brilliant/pure white than the skull white?

didnt realise was a painting section

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't tryed this myself but what you could do is spray the models white (assuming you can get a decent coverage with the GW white spray) wash the entire thing with stright badab black wash, then heavily dry-brush the entire model with a 50:50 mix of skull white and astronomicon grey (or whatever the lightest foundation grey is) then proceed to highlight this with pure skull white, then go round and block in all the detail with chaos balck and paint this as your scheme demands.

like i said i have not done this before so if you are going to try it i would make sure its on a spare model but let me know if it works, could be a good technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

You have to start by putting a basecoat of a darker color, then use thin layers of progressively lighter colors
    Start with a rotting flesh, then bone white, then a few very thin layers of skull white.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Raihani View Post
    yeah you can buy all individually except white
    Really? And it's not because your local store is out of stock?

I'm pretty sure you can get all the paints seperately, but I'll check next time I'm in my local store.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Egg Head Miniatures:fbook And Justice For All's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    963 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    Really? And it's not because your local store is out of stock?

I'm pretty sure you can get all the paints seperately, but I'll check next time I'm in my local store.
    It's not listed on the GW website so looks like it's unavailable seperatly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x1)

Couple suggestions for you mate.

Try priming your models with Black first (I know sounds crazy) and then if you are going to be using GW paints, pick up Deneb Stone or Astronomical Grey (both are an off-white Foundation Paint, with the grey being more grey, and the stone being more tan). Anyways, once you have those paints, paint the whole models armour in one of those colours. These paints are high opacity and should cover the black primer in 1 coat, assuming you use a decent ration of paint to water (should be a 1-1 or 1-2). Next I would suggest covering that colour with Delvin Mud (Citidel Wash) and if will dry in the cracks of the models armour and give you some detail as opposed to just while. After you will need to make probably a good 3 coats of nicely watered down Skull White to get a good coverage, but you only want to paint the flat surfaces white and try to leave the brown wash in the cracks. Now alternatively, you can wash it with Asurmen Blue, which will give you blue recesses, thats up to you.

For a a lot more complicated guide, pick up the November issue of White Dwarf. I know, theres not much in there for ways of articles, but it has an amazing article on how they painted Korsa'so Khan, so you could follow that route if you wanted too, skipping some of the steps.

Hope that helps.
    Check out Double Edged Painting blog for more information on commissions and work in progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

To those of you discussing the so called white foundation - there isn't one!
    The white paint that they include in the Hobby Starter Set isn't part of the foundation paint range even though it's packaged in the same white-topped pots that the foundations are in. I assume that GW did it just so that all of the paints in the Hobby Starter set are in the same pots. Three of them aren't foundations, and don't say foundation on the pot. They are the 'White', 'Undercoat Black', and 'Gunmetal'.

I don't think that they are just the standard paints repackaged either, since I've heard a lot of people complaining about the white and black from the starter set in particular. From what I've heard, they have a more glossy finish than the standard paints. You're better off without them!
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For White, I start with Blue foundation (for clean white) or a brown foundation (for dirty white).
    Then start layering white on top from the edges in, giving you both a shading effect and dirty/clean look to add to your fluff.
    experiment and practice though, you it can be tricky, depending on your skill.
    Space Wolves: Great Company of Berek Starkiller, 3700 pts.
    Imperial Guard: XII Cytherian Regiment: 1400 pts.
    15 years experience, numerous other models not fielded.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast