Assigning Space Wolves' Wolf Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assigning Space Wolves' Wolf Guard

I was wondering how to out fit a couple of squads of Grey hunters and a blood claw unit with wolf guard. I assume that if you take 3 wolf guard you can assign them all individually to separate units. What if you are left with none left, this would seem fine. However, since they have all joined other units (becoming "one" of them) do they still take up a Elite slot? I would guess yes. Now could that said unit, that has joined other units still have had a designated transport?

I am trying to use 3 wg, one to GH "a", one to GH "b", and one to a 9 man squad of blood claws. I want to get the Blood Claws into a landraider, prior to turn one, or if necessary during turn one, with out using a heavy slot.

Hope that makes sence, thanks

And always remember the first rule of Warhammer...
    (And it has nothing to do with "not talking about Warhammer.")

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

You are correct on the first two counts. On the 3rd I'm not entirely sure, but my guess would be yes, since you buy the unit first, then divy them up at the beginning of the game like sgts. At least that's my take on the transport issue. You would have to start with no one in the transport though, I'm guessing, since all of your Wolf Guard would be divided up with other units for which they would not have been bought.

btw, if you want to start your blood claws in a LR, buy them the LR. Then they start in there, and the WG should start with them similar to the way an IC can start attached. Saves you a little trouble I suppose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The LR for the wolf guard is great, but when the squad is seconded to lead other packs, that Wolf Guard pack ceases to be, so your right to that bonus is gone.
    Space Wolves: Great Company of Berek Starkiller, 3700 pts.
    Imperial Guard: XII Cytherian Regiment: 1400 pts.
    15 years experience, numerous other models not fielded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw, if you want to start your blood claws in a LR, buy them the LR.
    Unfortunately, you can’t do that. There is no option to buy a LR as a dedicated transport for a Blood Claws Pack.

I assume that if you take 3 wolf guard you can assign them all individually to separate units.
    Correct.

What if you are left with none left, this would seem fine.
    Correct. It is fine.

Do they still take up a Elite slot?
    They do. You buy them using an Elite slot so they are still Elites, no matter what.

Now could that said unit, that has joined other units still have had a designated transport?
    Yes, it is perfectly legal to buy one Wolf Guard unit a LR of any type, even if you’re left without any individuals after assigning them to the packs.

I want to get the Blood Claws into a LR, prior to turn one, or if necessary during turn one, without using a heavy slot.
    Since you can’t buy a dedicated LR for a Blood Claws pack, you’ll have to deploy the unit close enough to the LR and embark them on the first round of your movement phase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x3)

You can buy the LR for the WG, assign all the wolf guard out leaving no one to deploy in it. Since the BC are not a shooty unit, who cares if Turn 1 they hide behind a Armor 14 LOS blocker and embark turn 1. LR are 14 all around, so point the butt across the table!

To the original poster, WG bought as elites, even if farmed out at deployment, still use up an elite slot as the decision to assign them to units is done at deployment, similar to the SM quad rule. If farmed out completely they offer no KPs. If you buy the LR for them, it is 1 KP itself.
    Last edited by Torden; November 24th, 2009 at 22:38.
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    http://www.gamesandhobbies.com/ New Location Open on the north end!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Torden View Post
    If farmed out completely they offer no KPs.
    Not sure if this is true. If all WG in a pack were killed they should concede a kill point. Can you reference the Codex page were you saw this information?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Not sure if this is true. If all WG in a pack were killed they should concede a kill point. Can you reference the Codex page were you saw this information?
    Two hypothetical scenarios I would like to point out.

1) You have 5 Wolf Guard in a pack, and at deployment you divvy them all up amongst other squads. There are three ways of going about calculating KP. Either each WG offers a KP, every WG must be slain before they offer a KP, or they do not offer a KP at all. Before I speculate...

2) You have 10 Wolf Guard in a pack, and at deployment you divvy up 4 of them amongst other squads.

I believe it can be agreed upon that they all count as being members of the same unit on the FOC, regardless of whether they're assigned as Pack Leaders or not. From this, it can be inferred that scenario 1 and 2 would not implicate special circumstances -- both must be handled the same way. Or at least if they aren't.. how do you distinguish what is appropriate for one and not the other?

They definitely won't offer 1 KP each, WGPL are not IC's.

If every WG must be slain to concede a KP, it could become very difficult, as exemplified by point 2. However, I doubt that this is the case, as including Logan Grimnar (WG as troops) does not allow your WGPL assigned to Long Fangs (for example) to claim objectives.

The only logical conclusion left is the latter. WGPL do not offer KP, but are instead included with the unit they're assigned to, and so the entire unit plus the WGPL must be removed as casualties before a KP is awarded.

At least, that's my lawyerish take on it.
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x2)

By the fact that kill points are counted by UNIT (ie, by squad), not by FOC occupation.

So, that Wolf Guard pack that is no longer a unit due to the reassignment of every member, still occupies an FOC slot, but obviously there is NO UNIT to speak of.

The rule can be found on p.91 of the rulebook (the 5th ed, rulebook, not the SW codex), under the Annihilation box.

In the same vein, you can't claim an additional kill point for killing a sergeant (which is what Wolf Guard leaders are), but you do get an additional kill point for killing an attached IC (which Wolf Guard leaders are NOT)

On the flipside of the FOC and UNIT differentiation, some examples:
    Tau sniper drones can cram 3 UNITS in 1 heavy support FOC slot
    Imperial guard platoons and leaders. Not exactly sure on the details here, but I do know they get shafted to some degree on kill points.
    Space Wolves can fit 2 HQ choices (counting as 2 different kill points), into 1 FOC slot.

The point is, FOC slot and UNIT are 2 different things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

My bad on the transport LR thing, I didn't have my book in front of me and though since they could take 15 BCs that it would be an option (silly me).

And a divided Wolf Guard would yield no kill points as long as they're fully divided up.

In one SW army I set made I had one WG left over, sitting there all alone in his PA, waiting to be a kill point. Easy targeting, though i quickly rectified the situation in amended lists.

The Uncivil Servent Mikhail The Heretic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x2)

Unfortunately, you can’t do that. There is no option to buy a LR as a dedicated transport for a Blood Claws Pack.
    Well you could start them in a landraider but to do that you would have to buy it as a heavy support choice.

Horus betrayed the Emperor because the Emperor crushed his favorite puppy with his Land Raider

Quote Originally Posted by Grephaun
    It's all about real ultimate power redoing the forum skin in pink and plaid

+ Reply to Thread