Experiences with Jaws of the World Wolf so far - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How has Jaws of the World Wolf done so far?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great! I'm always taking it.

4 12.50%
  • Ok. It's been useful at times.

14 43.75%
  • Don't know/never used it.

9 28.13%
  • Not too good. It didn't do too much.

3 9.38%
  • Bad. It's a waste. Take another power instead.

2 6.25%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Experiences with Jaws of the World Wolf so far

How has Jaws of the World Wolf done for your Rune Priests so far? There's been a lot of hype when the SW codex first came out especially on Jaws. But now that we've had about 6 months of experience with them, I'm curious as to how Jaws have done in games that you've played/seen. Has it lived up to its hype?

I've only used it 3 times so far. In my first game I played against another SW army using Njal and Ragnar. I got it so that I had both characters lined up in my sights....but then proceeded to roll 12 on my psychic test! Next turn Njal jaws my rune priest (and some grey hunters) and only the RP falls to the world wolf! Not good, but I attributed that to bad luck.

The next time I used it was against Tau. I was able to snipe 2 broadsides, but it took 4 tries to do so (he passed 2 Init 2 tests!).

My last attempt was in a game against Deathwing. There I was able to jaws Belial (I5) as well as several terminators.

Overall, I find JotWW to be nice against certain armies, but Living Lightning and Murderous Hurricane to be much more useful. It was also a pleasure using Tempest's Wratch against the Tau player, and I nearly laughed out loud when his piranha wrecked itself going flat-out and his crisis suits were taking wounds jumping back and forth (in movement and assault) when they were in range of my Wrath.

Last edited by jy2; November 29th, 2009 at 18:09.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's ok, I bring one. People are finally starting to calm down about it (except nidzilla and cron players lulz) and are realizing that it's decent but not spectacular. Which of course I've been telling them all along. If I had to tier the RP powers:

Tier 1: Living Lightning
    Tier 2: Murderous Hurricane/Tempest's Wrath
    Tier 2.5: JotWW

everything else... well take lots of those 4.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

never had the need for murderous hurricane. i used JOTWW agaisnt necrons and i managed to kill a necro lord and 2 warriors first time when i targetted them and it took 3 attempts to kill the nightbringer ^^. The game lasted three turns, but that isn't the point.

My next game i killed 2 autcannon heavy weapon teams in 2 turns which helped my rhinos live alot longer. I would definately recommend it, but i wouldn't rely on it to win games, it helps to keep my game flow though.
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I havent had it be that useful for me really, id rather take Living lighting and some other abilities. -1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

I haven't taken it, simply because LL and MH have served me SO much better. Dropped a MH on an almost full squad of PB's and my opponent rolled a 1 for both his special weapons, and the proceeded to lose 3 more. Also I've used LL to take out Rhino's a number of times (a great boon seeing as I run almost no shooty besides the two RP's).

I would agree, that JotWW was greatly overhyped, but that just means noone I've played against is prepared for the awesomeness that is most of our other powers. I even played against someone who thought my RP's would be useless when I told him I didn't take Jaws. Then proceeded to table him in 4 turns due, in large part, to them.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactics

For BWAHAHAHAHA cheese move:

2 Rune Priests, both upgraded to Master of Runes.
    Both Powers: Living Lightning and JotWW.
    Each attached to a Pack of 9 Grey Hunters with a Meltagun and a Power Weapon
    Each put into a Drop Pod.

Take 1 more Drop Pod in the army list, with whatever you want in them (I use a dreadnought for fun)

First turn, first two drop pods arrive, one at either end of the enemy line.

Squad jumps out. Rune Priests go first - Jaws of the World Wolf. Depending on what you're up against... well against Orks/Guard/Tau you'll kill approx 50% of everything in the 2 24" lines. Vehicle armies will suffer less damage though.
    Living Lightning and Boltguns/Meltagun into the ranks. Then just wait for the retaliation, survive, then assault next turn.

Essentially, the 2 Drop Pods can pretty much cover the entire edge of a board, meaning that the majority of the enemy forces are at your mercy bwahahaha.

In a 2k battle, I did this against a 'nid army and took out every monstrous creature on the board bwahahahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Rune Priests, both upgraded to Master of Runes.
    Both Powers: Living Lightning and JotWW.
    Can't do that. You could do LL/JotWW and JotWW/MH. Can't have the same combination of powers.

It's one very, very thin line (I use the side of a tape measure) so I'm not sure how you're killing that much, unless the people you play are terribad.

JotWW rolls Nidzilla so bad it's almost not worth playing the game, we know this.

Anyway, that strategy doesn't work against good players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x2)

Also, one Rune Priest can NEVER cast Jaws and LL in the same turn. Taking master of the runes only allows you to cast two psychic powers in the same turn, but does not negate the rule that you can only ever use one psychic shooting attack. Both Jaws and LL are explicitly classified as psychic shooting attacks in their respective descriptions. In other words, master of the runes only really works if you include storm caller and/or tempest's wrath

The rule for the distinction between the ability to cast multiple powers, and the limitation for psychic shooting attacks is clearly outlined on P.50 of the main rule book, under the psychic shooting attacks paragraph.

To put it bluntly, that game you mentioned, you won the game, but technically broke the rules in doing so.

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

JotWW is ok, but I prefer LL and MH. I've had lots of success with MH in the games that I've used it (not so much with LL, but thats more of because of the way I play than anything else-> I like to run my rhinos forward 12" too much and I don't see transports that often where I play, which is fairly unfortunate in my opinion, but also the main contributor to my nids win ratio as my sole loss is to mech), but I'm not too impressed with JotWW. I took it once and I killed Sicarius with a lucky dice roll, but its not something I could really count on. I don't like leaving it that much to chance. Of course I can see how it could be very effective, but I think I'd sooner take MH and LL (or at the very least MH-> I love that power).
    Last edited by Phalanx; November 30th, 2009 at 05:20.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

But now that we've had about 6 months of experience with them, I'm curious as to how Jaws have done in games that you've played/seen. Has it lived up to its hype?
    Did your SW codex come out 4 months before everyone else's lol?
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast